JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
KICKOFF! Mag catch in, driving bolt-catch rollpin as I type. (During commercials to limit the Old One's grousing... I'm getting like a hair's-diameter of progress every hammer strike.)

Will post the day's in-progress pics all at once later.

Buffer assembly, takedown pin and half of triggerguard installed. Threw in the KNS anti-walks as original-install rather than the upgrade they were designed to be, and the BAD Lever's on too.

I say "half" because dumb-arse me got the rollpin lodged in something and I need to go see if I can borrow a vise to pull it out...

UPDATE: Vise-grips extracted rollpin from triggerguard tool, RP reinserted into tool CORRECTLY and installed. 100_0459.JPG

Safety not yet installed, awaiting grip arrival. Need to check torque on castle-nut and Loctite it down.

Last Edited:
Safety installed with temporary Palmetto A2 grip and tested.

Debating whether to leave it in or remove and leave empty while looking for a deal on an ambi since my upper's at least several weeks away...

Lower functionally complete with Palmetto A2 as interim grip pending arrival of FAB folder.

Stock on:
20161206_204739_zpsu00sihfk.jpg
Getting here was a bugger! I had to take part of the stock apart to get the recoil pad on, and before that had to HAMMER the buffer tube through the stock from the rear. More friction than I'd like, but I know it'll stay put when positioned... considering disassembling it and filing the two tabs that grip the buffer-tube bottom-rail down a bit.

Monopod extended, stock's mag in well and MFT 30-round in stock carrier for testing:
20161206_204836_zpsq08o0y4c.jpg

Bottom half ready to Go To Work:
20161206_204931_zpsbdri0bme.jpg

At this point, I'm not sure the LAW Tactical sidefolder is such a good idea... with no upper and the stock in full retract this feels like just about right LOP. Good thing I don't have plate-carriers...

Don't mind the tan thing in the bottom of the pics... that's my gut. LOL

And it looks like this is gonna be one heavy beast even with a slimline handguard... if my math's right All-Up weight on this monster is 10lb. 12oz. with an empty Pmag while an issue M4 is about 6lb. 10oz.--and the M4's handicapped by having cleaning kit and bayonet included in that total.

Weights in ounces...
Lower Assembly
--10.88 Lower Receiver
--7.52 LPK before adjustments
---deduct 0.32 for std FCG pins being replaced
---add 1.6 for replacement KNS anti-walk pins (net +1.28)
---deduct 0.64 for std takedown pins being replaced
---add 0.96 for replacement YHM EZ-Pull pins (net +0.32)
---deduct 2.72 for std A2 grip being replaced
---add 4.2 for FAB folding maingrip (net +1.48)
---final adjustment +3.08, 10.6 LPK subtotal
--0.96 Magpul BAD Lever
--9.92 buffer assembly
--20.1 stock assembly (excluding 10rds 5.56 ammo)
Current weight 49.42 oz.

Upper Assembly... well, I'm not going to include what I can't mount yet.
--73.6 CBC upper (out-the-door, includes box and cushioning)
---deduct 2.08 for A2 flash hider being replaced
---add 3 for Precision Armament AFAB-556 FH (net +.92)
---deduct 0.16 for crush washer being replaced
---add [unknown; at least .2] for PA timing washer (net gain, unk amount)
---add [unknown] for planned not-yet-selected blast deflector
--7.5 Diamondhead polymer BUIS
--6.1 optic assembly (Bushnell TRS25 on Leapers 1" mount)
--[unknown] not-yet-decided Keymod rail section for foregrip
--13.76 integrated foregrip-bipod-light
Current weight 87.2 oz., with gain of at least 14.72 projected

Magazines, add 4.0 for an empty Mission First Tactical SCPM556 (lightest full-cap mag I have).

Total empty weight comes out to 140.62 oz. unloaded, 8lb. 12.62oz. with more weight to come not even including ammo--throw in a full onboard load of forty Black Hills Mk 262 77gr MatchKings and that's another 1lb. 3.58oz. for a total loaded weight of 11lb. 15.36oz.

Granted, I was building for durability and utility rather than weight reduction (I'm used to schlepping laptop cases that weigh more than this every day), but... did I miss something, or is that M4's weight that I'm comparing it to being understated?

And it looks like this is gonna be one heavy beast even with a slimline handguard... if my math's right All-Up weight on this monster is 10lb. 12oz. with an empty Pmag while an issue M4 is about 6lb. 10oz.--and the M4's handicapped by having cleaning kit and bayonet included in that total.

Weights in ounces...
Lower Assembly
--10.88 Lower Receiver
--0.96 Magpul BAD Lever
--9.92 buffer assembly
Current weight 49.42 oz.

Magazines, add 4.0 for an empty Mission First Tactical SCPM556 (lightest full-cap mag I have).

Total empty weight comes out to 140.62 oz. unloaded, 8lb. 12.62oz. with more weight to come not even including ammo--throw in a full onboard load of forty Black Hills Mk 262 77gr MatchKings and that's another 1lb. 3.58oz. for a total loaded weight of 11lb. 15.36oz.

Granted, I was building for durability and utility rather than weight reduction (I'm used to schlepping laptop cases that weigh more than this every day), but... did I miss something, or is that M4's weight that I'm comparing it to being understated?

Weights in ounces...
Lower Assembly
--10.88 Lower Receiver
--0.96 Magpul BAD Lever
--9.92 buffer assembly
Current weight 49.42 oz.

After seeing your lower, my first though was weight. I'm very concerned about weight but that's just me. My last build (the one posted above) is at 6 pounds. Like one of the guys I know always says "ounces makes pounds". Nice thing about AR's is it's easy to put your gun on a diet. Have fun!

I heard "ounces are pounds and pounds are PAIN" somewhere along the line... :) given that every component added has a purpose I'm still trying to work out the balance between weight and usefulness.

For example that recoil pad makes the stock fit me just right at about two clicks out, so I could probably ditch it and run the stock out another notch... but I also like some tailweight to compensate for the full-length handguard's muzzle-weight, and I lose part of the integral rest system. Could throw on a vanilla M4 stock, but that's even more muzzle heavy and giving up my 10-rd. "ace up my sleeve."

This is also a Range and Home D "slung/rested much and shouldered only to fire" build, not a Shoot & Scoot hump-out-in-the-boonies-like-a-grunt rifle; I have an M4gery (and for the GF if I can do it a C8-clone in deference to her heritage) planned for should I ever need to play that game.

Functionally COMPLETE and EFFIN' HEAVY!
20161217_144218_zpsv9atv6nv.jpg

Need a rail for the foregrip but it's mocked up in probable position--need some answers from CBC before I remove their A2 birdcage and mount the AFAB.

I'll snap a few more photos as the last parts go on and it moves to range testing, but other than that this thread can be more focused on Q&A and revisions as I change things. Thanks for all the advice, guys! :)

New question, on to AMMO. :)

I went with a 1/7 so I could load Mk262s and similar heavyweights--what would you guys consider an appropriate variety of ammo types for functional testing, and how many rounds of each for basic checkout before it's "Cleared for Duty"?

Your estimated all up weight would be perfect if it was in .45-70!:rolleyes:

Brutus Out
LOL Like I said, amigo, slung or benched much and "handed" little--if I'm gonna go chasing Jihadi Jackalope I'd rather mount the Diamondheads on a chop-top M4gery. :)

Weight's about the same as a 10.5" Thompson, actually, but with 5.56's range and terminal-ballistic advantages over .45ACP.

Adding a shot on the sights...
20161217_144442_zps5wyygtx3.jpg
Bad angle, but with the rifle in one hand, phone in the other and trying to work quick in the crapper since that was the only open workspace...

Dude, you built that in your crapper? your a way more hard core dude then I thought! Watch out, next he will be building M-1A kits in the laundry room:p:D:p
No, I built the lower in a hotel room... the upper came preassembled, and I only shoot pics in the crapper because it's the only clear flat space big enough! (And the only place the Evil Old Nuisance Sisters my mother and aunt will LMTFA for a few minutes...)

That said, I don't see any problem with slotting in a part or two while I'm stuck squatting for a Bowl Blaster... do you? :p

Also, the "laundry room" is a cubbyhole each with washer/dryer on opposite sides of the crapper entryway... and an M1A isn't "Shake The Box" like an AR kit. :p
|W|
->| (crapper)
|D|

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR