JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does the police keep track of DGUs, if you report them? Anyone know? Does it even make sense to report, assuming no shots fired and it happened outside the home. The number of DGUs is a highly contested one, and good reporting could solidify these statistics. Without it, it amounts to hearsay.

There is huge controversy on the numbers now.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/justifiable16.pdf
"While it is clear that guns are rarely used to justifiably kill criminals, an obvious question remains: How often are guns used in self-defense whether or not a criminal is killed? Pro-gun advocates – from individual gun owners to organizations like the National Rifle Association – frequently claim that guns are used up to 2.5 million times each year in self-defense in the United States.8 According to the 2004 book Private Guns, Public Health by Dr. David Hemenway, Professor of Health Policy at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health and director of the Harvard Injury Control Research Center: Much discussion about the protective benefits of guns has focused on the incidence of self-defense gun use. Proponents of such putative benefits often claim that 2.5 million Americans use guns in self-defense against criminal attackers each year. This estimate is not plausible and has been nominated as the most outrageous number mentioned in a policy discussion by an elected official."

Would you?

If you were near your car, in a city far from home, and some guy was just too aggressive towards you, where you showed you were packing (whether you cleared leather or not)
Would you then call the po-po ?

If the city was tru-blu like Portland, I doubt I would, but maybe.

There are good reasons to, if the guy calls first, you don't want to be the man with a gun.
But there are reasons not to, the issue is over, resolved.

I have a basic rule: never call the police. Reason:

"There is no human situation so miserable that it cannot be made worse by the presence of a policeman."
--Brendan Behan

Needless to say, worrying about the proper recording of DGUs when the victim may only call cops on the order of one instance out of every 10, seems kinda pointless. Anyway every metropolitan police force is going to have a different procedure...

I know you are tough, your moniker already says so, but I doubt the revolution would be carried by more than 2500 people ;-) People are just too well off to be risking it all. Maybe you were not insinuating that much. If you are really old and on your way out anyway, yes you might pull a "Heston", but that's a lonely man's protest move only. Not doing much for the rest of us.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads