JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had space and cash for it, that blue M37 would be coming home with me :D and then I'll treat it to this paint job; 1970s 4 color woodland also known as MERDC camo :D CamoedM-42_zps9222a0d1.png

Soo...what if you bought it, yank the motor, tranny, and electrics then dump in more reliable, more modern equipment? Cummins or Cat diesel, 6 speed manual... if you have cash to burn, why not? Yank that water tank and make it a cargo bed, or build a camper out of it, or mobile hot tub, or whatever. :D

When I said I have the cash,I meant enough to buy the one I posted a link to.
I'm far,far away from being rich!

Anybody have one?
I'm strongly considering buying a 1952 GMC 6x6..
I know they are completely impractical and ridiculous, but certainly not useless.
My wife thinks I'm nuts..but I have the cash,a place to park it,and a wild imagination.

Maybe mount a plow on it to clear streets ( snow,garbage,commies?)

Anyone have any experience with these?

I worked on them while in the Army, they're just like any other HD truck out there but built like a tank...:D

You are quite likely mentally unstable. I Would go for a 5 ton just for the power steering, an 800 series preferably. Liked the Cummings 250. Drove an 816 wrecker for a while at my last duty station. Ft. Bragg, 126th trans co. First Corp support command.

Anybody have one?
I know they are completely impractical and ridiculous, but certainly not useless.
My wife thinks I'm nuts..but I have the cash,a place to park it,and a wild imagination.

Like this...... 0722061010.jpg

Get drip pans ready, plan on tearing hair out finding some parts, switch it to a two barrel and hope and pray whoever put the flywheel on last clocked it properly........OH and get a toy or two for the turret.

As a side note, a buddy of mine, since departed was US Army Signals in Vietnam. He said it is entirely possible to drive a deuce and a half with one other guy in the front, holding an M 16 in your left off hand braced on the mirror and hosing Charlie down as you were trying to run the road ambush in a convoy, with the guys in back hosing the road side as well. He said they felt pretty slow at the time, but usually kept going for them.

Steel Soldiers is a forum dealing with military vehicles that might be of help.

Have friends with a variety of US military vehicles. The 1952 deuce and a half (M35?) doesn't go fast and is really, really noisy on the highway (I wear over-the-ear protection when in one -- or most any military vehicle on the highway), but sure is sturdy. And a great looking truck.

Friends also have the newer 5 tons (ca. mid to late 1980s) and like them over the WWII CCKW (2.5 ton) or the M35 because of the smoother ride, automatic transmission, and --- I think ---- power brakes, steering.

THis is a 1950s Volvo TP21 Sugga. its basically the love child of an overgrown 1940s Ford Sedan and a Dodge M37 Power Wagon ;)
4114611646_89379e1ce6.jpg

I2Yisca.jpg

With bicycles mounted for infantry use
447961-2-4.jpg
What's interesting is the way they mounted the NATO Jerry cans to its rear quarters... and the fact it has big wheels relative to its size.

not sure how easy these are to find, but there's an idea with a late 1930s/early 40s Dodge sedan body and a WC front end or a M37 front end :p

The guys I talked to were pretty insistent that a M939 5 ton is a much better truck than a deuce and a half and a much less troublesome toy. I believe the M939 will even do highway speeds.

I would suggest that you do your research before jumping in and spend some time on the military vehicle forums.

The only use I would have for a big A$$ military truck would be to go to the woods..camping,shooting,motorcycling, cutting wood,etc.
Pretty much what I do now except on a grand scale.
I know they aren't fast,they are troublesome,loud,etc.
No freeway driving or grocery shopping.
Dust,mud,grease,and cussing is the name of the game.

I used to build Model T and A Ford hot rods-if you want to talk about masochism,try hopping up a Model A Ford engine or a flathead V8..youll spend tons of money and time just to get a fraction of the horsepower of a worn out junkyard OHV V8.

Some people are just hard headed..
I guess I get mine from my Grandpa!
For what its worth,i gave up the idea of the 2 1/2 ton..I do know where an M37 is sitting...

Anybody have one?

OK, I agree with your wife. You are crazy, but in a good way. I think you should buy the truck.

THis is a 1950s Volvo TP21 Sugga. its basically the love child of an overgrown 1940s Ford Sedan and a Dodge M37 Power Wagon ;)
View attachment 509556

View attachment 509557

With bicycles mounted for infantry use
View attachment 509558
What's interesting is the way they mounted the NATO Jerry cans to its rear quarters... and the fact it has big wheels relative to its size.

not sure how easy these are to find, but there's an idea with a late 1930s/early 40s Dodge sedan body and a WC front end or a M37 front end :p

I saw my first Sugga and I done fell in love. Be still my heart.
Sad that only 1,000 were made, so not common.

A friend of mine bought a deuce and a half in Hermiston, OR and drove it cross country to Omak, WA, in the early 80's. He told stories of trespassing and crossing Indian Reservations without permission - at night. He only broke down once, luckily not on a reservation. Cutting and rewiring fences and generally staying off developed roads. I can't remember how long it took, but seem to remember it was just short of a week. Of course the rig was not licensed. He used it as a farm vehicle/tractor. He never got shot at, but did run into some irate farmers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top