JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like I've got a nice little winter project a head of me. Will be getting her put together and prepped for some tree rat action come next season! Gonna do some different stuff and make this one all mine. Thinking of little brass tacks to help set her apart from all the other Crockett rifles out there.

mk-1006p-32.jpg

Hit the gun show this morning in Rickreall. Scored some powder, No. 11 caps, .32 round balls and some patches. I'll gather more items as Spring approaches but, for now, my spending spree is over.:eek:

thumbnail_20221210_104508.jpg

Post up pics when done.
Oh yeah, you can count on that! Might be a bit though as I really want to do this one right. I did a Traditions Hawken years ago but, got in a hurry and you could see where it was done by a novice. 🤣 Was thinking of adding some brass tacks like they did in the olden times just to set it apart.

Oh wow, those are really sharp looking! I can only hope my job comes out well.
Well...
Since those are two antiques*...and were done up before tv , cell phones and the internet...
Folks could turn their thoughts to other things....:D
Andy

Full Disclosure...
The top gun...is my antique Parker Field Northwest Trade gun circa 1854.
When I got it...the stock was tacked up and repaired as shown....
However....
The stock was also very rotten..and falling apart.
Nothing I could do to save it...so I re-stocked this gun...using what was left of the original as a guide , to include the rawhide stock repair and tack pattern.

Iffin ya need lots an lots of Little Pin Head sized brass tacs, hit me up, I got a little care package with your name on it, several hundred worth of the little nasties! Gotta use ether fine nose pliers or tweezers to help "Start" um!

Ifs ya leaf tha' tail on dem sqwerzl, it makes fer an awful dandy eatin' handle.

Too scrawny 🐿️ thou it do have a eatin' handle for tha youngin's lil hands…

Too stanky🦨 cut that dern eating handle rite oref.

Too fancee 🦝 man hassa have a hat ta keep hims head wahrm.

Be sure to drill a size or so smaller size pilot holes, partly to avoid any chance of wood splitting in the thinner fore parts and partly because many tacks made today may be of lessor quality than times of yore, either bending on hard wood or the head coming off when pounding them in. Things just aren't made like they use to be!

Looks like I've got a nice little winter project a head of me. Will be getting her put together and prepped for some tree rat action come next season! Gonna do some different stuff and make this one all mine. Thinking of little brass tacks to help set her apart from all the other Crockett rifles out there.

View attachment 1327569
Got a link to what package this is and where you got it?

Since I am wanting to set this apart from any other Crockett rifle out there, I am planning on a dark stain for the stock to help make the brass, as the Mountain Men would say, Shine. The Laurel Mountain Forge Ebony Toner is what I'm going to go with. Once the stain is on, and I've achieved the color I want, what do I seal it with? Would Tru Oil change the color?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top