JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
X9gpgjb&tn=FucDJm02ozzIrTUm&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Does it taste like chicken?
Not to me it doesn't. When I was a boy growing up in Oklahoma, around 9yrs old, I remember taking my old Marlin .22 bolt action with 8 round clip and going out for squirrels as soon as I got home from school. I'd bring 'em home and my stepmom and I would clean them on the back porch and she'd make squirrel stew. It was a staple we ate quite a bit. My dad cut the Marlin down to fit me and I killed more rabbits, squirrels and other critters than you can shake a stick at!

How many 9yr old boys today could be trusted to do that?!

Not to me it doesn't. When I was a boy growing up in Oklahoma, around 9yrs old, I remember taking my old Marlin .22 bolt action with 8 round clip and going out for squirrels as soon as I got home from school. I'd bring 'em home and my stepmom and I would clean them on the back porch and she'd make squirrel stew. It was a staple we ate quite a bit. My dad cut the Marlin down to fit me and I killed more rabbits, squirrels and other critters than you can shake a stick at!

How many 9yr old boys today could be trusted to do that?!
We all had a .22 by the age of 10 around here, and we shared an old .16 gauge shotgun. We would take ether the tractor with mower attachment or the Jeep CJ and run through the fields to kick up what ever birds there were! We ate an awful lot of Pheasant, Quail, and Goose! Squirrels were pretty good too, but the bigger birds were our main targets! Evenings, especially after the rains was Nutria hunting time, those ain't worth eatin unless your starvin, but fun to hunt, and tough as heck to kill! Opossum were also plentiful, but not all that great to eat ether!

Evenings, especially after the rains was Nutria hunting time, those ain't worth eatin unless your starvin, but fun to hunt, and tough as heck to kill!
Oh yeah, killed a lot of them suckers on the banks in the swamps of Louisiana when I lived down there! You ain't josh'n when you talk about how tough they are! 🤣

I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes Squirrel. At least If I can do more than prop it up on a stick in front of a fire. So this is one mans opine;
A lot of tough things can be solved by slow cooking, and not all animals of a given species cook up the same. Grain fed fat deer though not on the top of the culinary list, are a world apart from rough browse (especially sage) lean deer. Oregon squirrels are fair but not the best, the larger grays and bigger reds in the valley and foothills will be as good as they will get, the loud mouth in your face pointy eared mountain squirrels are about as chewy as they come as are the blackish small eastern Oregon ones. Shooting with friends in Arkansas, they have a giant by comparison red squirrel festering their acorn forests that have hind legs as big as a mans fist. Don't ever fry unless just browning, then broth them up and simmer them 40 min or more. Frying toughens a lot of different meats especially if you go beyond medium rare. For me, squirrels are best browned then slow baked in a creamed cabbage casserole, but deboned, cut up, in a slow cooked stew with thickening and lots of vegetable, added the last thirty or so minutes gets my attention too.
Tricky part is getting the skin off without the brittle hairs gluing themselves to the meat. They can be frustrating to get off once the skin tacks up.
Before dressed, still warm, nip off the feet and tail, ring the skin around the base of the head, hold the head gently to the ground with your toe and peel the hide off (gently) inside out like a sock, it will come off very clean*, then remove the head and viscera.
If you try to skin it like a deer you are gonna make a mess guaranteed.

* depending on age, freshness, and shot placement.

Folks, I want to give a shout out to a great member here! I posted an add looking for a possibles bag, and @Longwalkhome responded and said he had some items I might be interested in. Long story short, we came to an accord, met up and I got a fantastic Christmas deal! Looks like I'm getting my kit together in short manner! :D

thumbnail_20221213_153854.jpg

Well, the Crockett kit made it today along with my LTR! Now have something to do to help get through the winter evenings and days. Hoping this will come out extra special for me as I plan to put brass tacks on it along with a ebony stock instead of brown.

thumbnail_IMG_0831.jpg

@Andy54Hawken , I am planning on getting some brass tacks from Track of the Wolf. What size would you recommend for doing the Crockett stock? It's hard for me without seeing them in person to determine size. I don't want to order a bunch and have the wrong size. :D

Ummm... Ya better git bizzy naw. Imma 'spectin' an invite for sum Christmas Sqwerlz an' dumplin' gruvy.
Betta halv dem full size eatin' handles..and I ain't sittin at the ankle-biters table this year.

:s0030:

Ummm... Ya better git bizzy naw. Imma 'spectin' an invite for sum Christmas Sqwerlz an' dumplin' gruvy.
Betta halv dem full size eatin' handles..and I ain't sittin at the ankle-biters table this year.

:s0030:
LOL! 🤣 It definitely isn't going to be done right away. Still needing a few items before I start on it. Waiting on my Laurel Mountain Forge Ebony Toner to arrive from Track of the Wolf. Also, need to order the tacks and going to see if I can find a hickory rod to replace the one that came with it.

@Andy54Hawken , I am planning on getting some brass tacks from Track of the Wolf. What size would you recommend for doing the Crockett stock? It's hard for me without seeing them in person to determine size. I don't want to order a bunch and have the wrong size. :D
3/8 or 1/4 high domed would work..I have seen both used on rifles / guns...sometimes both sizes on the same gun.
Remember there really ain't no rule for tacks on a gun...
I think they were put on ...Just 'cause it looked cool.

Also worth considering...
The tacks from TOW....are not solid brass like originals....theirs are brass plated...which will rub off in time.
Maybe find a upholster supply house for solid brass tacks.
Andy

Looks like I've got a nice little winter project a head of me. Will be getting her put together and prepped for some tree rat action come next season! Gonna do some different stuff and make this one all mine. Thinking of little brass tacks to help set her apart from all the other Crockett rifles out there.

View attachment 1327569
Better get it done before the anti's decide that they want to ban these! o_O

LOL! 🤣 It definitely isn't going to be done right away. Still needing a few items before I start on it. Waiting on my Laurel Mountain Forge Ebony Toner to arrive from Track of the Wolf. Also, need to order the tacks and going to see if I can find a hickory rod to replace the one that came with it.
Wahl..... guessin' I cud wait 'til New Yars.
Jess dun't be dilly'an and dally'an... Mah stumuck is growlin' lach an angrrrr'd bahr.

College Joy GIF by Baylor University

On a more serious'er note.. formed in more of a question....would a small pin-vise and bit help with installing a decorative array of brass tacks?

The tacks from TOW....are not solid brass like originals....theirs are brass plated...which will rub off in time.
Just got off the phone with Crazy Crow Trading and the lady there said, their tacks as solid brass. Looks like I'll be making an order with them. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top