JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to this forum so I may be asking a question that has been discussed at length already. We are currently at odds over where prepare to go in a SHTF situation. We have a very comfortable home and shop on 1 acre, fruit trees, nice garden area and shallow well producing a lot of water. The problem is that it is just outside a small town, near a moderate sized trailer park and close to a major east/west highway. So, with that in mind I also have another property around 24 miles away that is fairly secluded, 20 acres with pond, house that needs to be demolished, large but usable shop, a deep well, nice root cellar, off grid and has been mostly abandoned now for 7 years. It would take considerable work and expense to bring this place back ( I lived there and raised a family for about 18 years) to a level that would be even close to what we have on our little 1 acre home.

My wife and I are just about to enter retirement so we are slowing down with age and funds are becoming watched very carefully. My wife (wife #2 who was a city girl until about 4 years ago) is new to the idea of preparing for SHTF situations and while starting to really get on board she is very hesitant to possibly leave our home and live even further out in a less prepared environment. At this stage I am really conflicted about which way to go. There are some real pluses for each place and they both would need some time and money to prepare. To me the real concern with our place near town is providing security for our place (firearms and ammo is not an issue) but it is becoming difficult for my wife to grasp what that may mean for us if things turn desperate for society. So ... any thoughts about security or pertaining to what I rambled on about. I have never really ventured out and discussed this subject with others so any input is appreciated. Thanks

I'd take 20+ acres with a pond and room to grow food and house friends and family over 1 acre near town. Knock down the house, bring in a manufactured home that will likely outlast you. Cheaper than stick built. As funds allow - make improvements to the rural property. Get to know the neighbors more, if you don't already. If you're prepping for a societal breakdown, then having natural resources of your own will be a boon to successfully riding out the storm.
24 miles isn't too bad of a drive to run into town once in a while for things like doctors appointments, shopping trips, or the other odd errands. It's also far enough out that zombies on foot will take a little while to reach you in the event S does HTF. Bugging in beats bugging out unless you're about to be overrun, or your bug in location is on fire.

Hmm.

I don't know. How bad off is the house needing to be demolished? Will it provide shelter as it stands?

If it'll provide shelter, I'd say just leave it & you will have a very nice fall back location should SHTF.

Wife will be happy living where you are, and you can take some time setting up the fall back location to be a bit comfortable, yet without services. Then it will be just that, a fallback location, one which you can weekend to frequently to set it up to be even better.

This is kinda've an issue I'm dealing with with my parents, my dad was getting ready to retire this year, but then came down with a blood cancer. He was planning on moving back out to the desert, but well, cancer and the need for hospitals, and being on O2 kinda complicates that whole process.

My big suggestion, it sounds like you have some adult children, why not talk them into taking over the place as a regular vacation spot? Go spend time with the grandkids kinda thing. Maybe make your retirement plan to spend weekends out there working on things? I'll generally say that you rust out before you wear out. I don't see any problem living near a small town as you do, and then having a weekend place where you can spend time with the family or friends.

I like the idea of the 20 acres myself. If it were me, I'd sell the smaller property with the home, buy a used single or double wide mobile home and put it on the property so I can live there while I build the permanent home. That way I don't have $$ resources tied up on 2 different properties.

But that's just me.

Thank you all for your responses. The 20 acre house is really not livable at this point (long story as to how that happened) but there is quite a bit of building materials including several large beams we cut from existing trees off the property. That could be used to finish off a few rooms in the shop plus there is a upper finished room in the shop. For long term we would need to purchase and place a manual/motorized water pump in the well (not cheap to do it right) and finish off the shop. It currently has a solar system that would need new batteries but any kind of EMP/CME would take that out so spares in a faraday cage would be prudent. A rocket mass stove would really be the long term solution to heating the place. The list goes on but the real issue is we have our place here (1 acre property) just about setup and are at that stage were we want to stop the major projects and settle down. My new bride (on our 4th year of marriage) in particular having ventured out of a major city to marry a country boy thinks she is out in the sticks where I feel like I'm back in suburbia. Her kids are not interested in this lifestyle at all and mine are a ways off and busy with their new careers and families to get very involved at this point.

Thinking this through a little more kinda brings up the idea of maybe finding a younger (and compatible) family that needs a bug out and recreation place that can partner with us to finish off the shop into a livable area, possibly add an additional tiny house and bring the place back to a semi working homestead. Are there any get togethers/events happening up in Washington that may get me in contact with others that have similar thoughts about preparations?

Thinking this through a little more kinda brings up the idea of maybe finding a younger (and compatible) family that needs a bug out and recreation place that can partner with us to finish off the shop into a livable area, possibly add an additional tiny house and bring the place back to a semi working homestead. Are there any get togethers/events happening up in Washington that may get me in contact with others that have similar thoughts about preparations?

Just float the bait out there gentle like.
Good.............. That's good.

Now set the hook!!!
YOU GOT EM!!! :D

A partner in this wouldn't be anywhere near my first option unless they were very well trusted friends .
Buy a big fifth wheel for living quarters until you get something built on the 20.
For a SHTF scenario you have to discuss with everyone what the new digs may be like
Probably not perfect,but people have to understand nothing will be perfect for a bit after a SHTF event

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have you with us! I agree with most others, sell the 1 acre place and move out to the big place. Many options to get you going out there. I had a simmiler situation here in CO where I live now. Got a cheep apartment near the Property, knocked down the cabin that was there, built a nice big shop which we built a small apt in, and built the new house over the next 2 years. Once the house was livable, I removed the temp apt leaving in the bath room, and we were good to go! Since we moved into the house, We have been making improvements to the property. Nice fence, added 40 more acres below the property locking up the area, and increasing the possibilities of farming and livestock. I have a year round stream I can tap into, as well as a good well. I am semi off grid, I have solar power and a back up gen set, and if I can figure out a generator for the stream, I can go completely off grid. I think you have a better set up on the big property and with a little time and hard work, I think you would be better off there! JMHO

Let me introduce you to Selco's SHTF School.

Once you've read through the Blog section the situation of your "city" place will be easier to assess and some ideas regarding the more remote location will, too.

Selco survived the Balkan war of the '90s in a city under siege, without electricity, running water, or food distribution. He's been there and done it. It's a very good resource.

Let me introduce you to Selco's SHTF School.

Once you've read through the Blog section the situation of your "city" place will be easier to assess and some ideas regarding the more remote location will, too.

Selco survived the Balkan war of the '90s in a city under siege, without electricity, running water, or food distribution. He's been there and done it. It's a very good resource.

I remember reading a bunch of posts from this guy years ago talking about the balkan war. Really interesting stuff, didn't know he was doing training classes.

The problem is that it is just outside a small town, near a moderate sized trailer park and close to a major east/west highway.

This sounds better than the vast majority have to deal with. Small towns are great, and trailer parks aren't necessarily worse than ordinary homes.

Read the book by "Ferfal". He experienced the mess in Argentina and is strongly against isolated homes in the country, that will just be taken over by gangs probably. You need enough people around for a credible defense. Small towns are ideal.

Welcome.

I could argue both sides to this. But maybe try to hide in "plain" site where you are. By that I mean, do what you think you need to do food, water, heat, cash, medical supplies, firearms, ammo, etc, etc, etc. But do it in such a way as nobody, and I mean nobody but you and your wife know what you have or where you have it. When I say nobody, this includes friends and family ..... people talk, people show up for help, people show up to take. Better to appear un-prepared to the world, nothing to take here folks.

If possible, try to figure out a way to secure at least your driveway so vehicles cannot easily get to your house. But don't make it so fortress like as to draw attention to things. I mean, if someone is determined they will get through, you're hoping they move to something easier and leave you be. Have a plan to black your house out so lights will not show through your windows at night. Figure out to run a generator so nobody can hear it, or at least get a good bead on where the sound is coming from. In a shed with air intake and exhaust running to the outside. Beef up doors and windows.

24 miles might seem nice, but really it's not that far away. Not necessarily far enough to keep "bad" from your doorstep in my opinion.

Those are just some of my initial thoughts.

Best of luck,
Mike

Last Edited:
Thank God you aren't wondering what handgun to get for a crippled old goat. lol
If we think of this in a third-world fashion, I think it'd be best to be by the highway, as it's more similar to a ditch where many millions find their sustenance on a daily basis.
anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck

It's pretty much a two edged sword.
I remember reading of some recent travails in Argentina where it was a common thing to easily and succesfully lay "siege" (attack and kill all occupants) upon fortified and remote private "compounds".
So there's that weighed against the "tickbird" defense where someone will see you being buttraped and contact the authorities and or do something about it their ownselves.

Don't know if this will fly but preparation of rural fire departments on actual fires using ponds is very limited. Donating the structure might be a way to take a significant tax writeoff over the next few years that could help finance a new place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top