JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:s0114::s0112::s0114:

Well played sir!

idiocracy%20(Small).jpg

What no cookie for me? Just cuz I'm lazy I still deserve a prize! LOL

i'll share mine with you.

i have, in the past, had the good fortune of never owning a taurus product. i have thought about it on numerous occasions, primarily their rimfire revolvers. but, every time i go handle one at a shop, it feels... not quite right. cheap. fragile. i have never picked up a taurus product that gave me the warm and fuzzies. including the pt1911. it feels inconstant, shoddy, inconsequential, a bit like a kimber. made of the cheapest possible parts slapped together in the shortest time possible by people who just don't care.

I've compared the RIA tactical to the Taurus PT1911 on numberous occasions at a few different shops. Taurus wins in the doodad/flash department, but realistically the RIA seems to be put together much better. They just look to fit better.

Two reasons I will not buy a taurus Pt1911. They gawdy letters on the slide and the fact you can buy an RIA that is nicer cheaper!

Taurus PT1911 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

are you from the future? could you tell us who wins the 2012 election? do the cubs ever win another pennant?

on topic now. with the taurus you get a forged frame and slide. the ria has a cast frame and extruded slide. with the taurus, you get propietary grip and grip bushings, an internal lock built in, and a quasi series 80 firing pin block. the ria has none of that, it is a true 1911 pattern and features compatability with other 1911's and their aftermarket parts.

winner=ria. the cast frame is not a hinderance unless you plan on competing at the national level, sending thousands of major power factor rounds down range in a year. also ruger has proven properly cast guns can be just as strong as forged. i know i can order any aftermarket 1911 part and i know it will fit.

Sorry, kudos to you too! :s0155:

Moved this over from the Keith's Poll... Just made more sense..

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and it looks as though it may cost me some cash... I am looking at buying a new .45 and I have a few questions to help make a decision....

I am looking at either buying a 1911a1-45fs RIA Tactical with the Duracoat finish ($445.00 on GB with free shipping) or the Taurus 1911 .45 acp pistol with picatinny rails (around $589). I am looking for a quality long term gun, that is fun and accurate...

So my questions are:
1: Which would you choose?
2: If you were going to deal local who would you call for price?
3: If you were going to deal online who would you look to?
4: Is there a better choice out there?
5: If done online i will need a ffl contact (beaverton to salem) if you have any referrals.

Thanks for any and all assistance...

Ok, thanks to all of those that had the input between the Taurus and the RIA... Now for questions 1 through 4, any ideas there?

So my questions are:
1: Which would you choose?
2: If you were going to deal local who would you call for price?
3: If you were going to deal online who would you look to?
4: Is there a better choice out there?
5: If done online i will need a ffl contact (beaverton to salem) if you have any referrals.

1. RIA
2.Santiam Buyers in Stayton has them in stock.
3. <broken link removed>
Welcome To Ozark Guns - We Can Save You Money on all your pistol, rifle and shotguns!
Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com
Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop
4.Alot. But for a basic blaster at under $400, no. first stop would be a Springfield Armory G.I. at $500.

This is a good thread as Ive been eying the taurus 1911 and the RIA 1911. Seen some taurus's at the gun show today and they looked like nice quality 1911s. The RIA looked like a bare bones, entry level 1911.

I heard taurus's customer service is great. Ive shot a taurus millunium pro and it was a very nice shooting gun with very little recoil for a 45acp.

It had better be for all of the people that need to use it:D

im a colt man myself.but with todays manufacturing technology i would say they are all alike.i like the taurus aswell but dont own one. i have to many colts and i cant make room. :s0114:

I don't know if the OP is still looking, but I was very impressed with a Rock Island GI model that I picked up for four hundred something dollars. I wasn't expecting a lot, but it's reliable, very accurate, and cheap. I just cleaned up the trigger and swapped the sights and now it's a keeper!
Jason

out of the box i went from about an 8" moa with the RI
to about a 3" out of the box with the Taurus

do you mean 8" group, or 8 moa? at what range?

is that how you judge quality? your ability to shoot a certain size group?

if you shot a bryco and managed a 3" group, but was only able to shoot 4 or 5 with a glock, would you say the the glock was of lower quality than the jennings?

or if you were only able to post up a 5" group with a les baer, would the taurus be better still?

i'm not trying to be a jerk. don't take this as a personal affront. your kinda new around here and i don't want to give you the impression that that is how it is around here. it isn't.

you made a pretty bold statement about the quality of taurus being of higher than ria, and was currious about how you arrived at that determination.

do you mean 8" group, or 8 moa? at what range?

is that how you judge quality? your ability to shoot a certain size group?

if you shot a bryco and managed a 3" group, but was only able to shoot 4 or 5 with a glock, would you say the the glock was of lower quality than the jennings?

or if you were only able to post up a 5" group with a les baer, would the taurus be better still?

i'm not trying to be a jerk. don't take this as a personal affront. your kinda new around here and i don't want to give you the impression that that is how it is around here. it isn't.

you made a pretty bold statement about the quality of taurus being of higher than ria, and was currious about how you arrived at that determination.

sorry correct 8" group @ 25 feet with RIA
down to about 3" with Taurus

No that is not how I judge quality since I have owned many a government model
Mk 4 ser 70 colts, ask military armories who do an upgrade on the service pistol to get better accuracy
all guns have a certain accuracy out of the box.
Its all about fit and finish.

The bryco and glock are apples and orange’s
We are talking about the same style fit and basic make and model
With the RIA and Taurus

I have shot gold cups match grade colts and all sorts of 1911 based hand guns
All have the ability to shoot reasonably well.

Kinda new? To this forum maybe I can give you a list of all the other forums I have been on for over
5 years or more.

I have owned an RIA looked at the fit and finish and done many a shooting test for group and such
And the same with a Taurus both out of the box
The Taurus is much better by far.

And example would be the difference between the MG34 and MG42
Mg34 much better machining and fit and function and shot group
The Mg 42 stamped looser tolerance’s lighter
Faster rate of fire
But can have more issues

Now if you want to take it to another thread we can talk ballistics fit function etc etc
The poster asked a Q and I simply gave my 2 cents

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads