JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Deleting data and empty the recycle bin only removes the "pointers" to the data. The data is still recoverable with recovery software easily found online. The same is true with format. There are many free programs that will write alternating 1s and 0s across the entire drive thus overwriting the data. Darik's Boot and Nuke is popular.
I still prefer a large hammer...
Thanks!

Gateway running ME? Man that brings back memories!
LOL, bad memories for me. I learned on one of those. Was so embarrassed when I went back to college, oldest guy there, knew nothing of PC's. Damn kids of course knew everything. I went out bought a new PC and used the 98 Dummies book. I almost took the damn thing out and shot it a few times. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
It wasn't till later I found out the OS was a real bummer. What a way to try to learn.:confused:

I'd like to think that deleting files and then emptying the recycle bin would completely remove my data.

Nope. Seems to me some government scandals turned on this supposition in the past.

Just boot up linux and use "dd" on the command line - guaranteed to write every bit on your hard drive (although the electronics might actually buffer a bit but it is nothing to worry about). Watch out though, dd is a big hammer and if you aim it wrong you may be sorry. :)

Government scandals? You don't mean Hilary and her server and single mobile device do you?.... She said that nothing bad happened and of course we should all believe her... I mean after all, she's Hilary and would NEVER lie..she's beyond reproach:s0087:....and apparently above the law...:s0146:

Also, if you use another computer and connect the drive as a secondary or external you can install Piriform CCleaner and set it for a 35-overwrite Secure Delete with "Wipe Free Space." It'll take for-freaking-ever and a day to finish, but the data should be as GONE as commercial software can make it short of Boot 'N' Nuke.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top