JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Big bore ARs are fun (but expensive to feed). Just don't be in the lane next to me with that boom stick, lol. I load my own .458 Socom, but no 12.7x42.
Expense was why I thought about loading,... like "saving money".... but after some education and looking at market for the materials. I just accept that I should enjoy the hobby and shoot what I make even if it costs a little more.
Yeah it gets attention but some folks where I shoot have some crazy hunting rounds too.

I toyed with the 458 SOCOM / 50 Beowulf idea for a while, then realised if I get the Beowulf, I can use the same powder, primers and bullets as my 50 DE - so I now have a 12.7 x 42. I've loaded several hundred using Sierra 350gr JHP, 40gr H110, CCI 350 primers - never had an issue.

I'm going to resurrect this old thread. Mea culpa.

Lil gun is at the fast end of Alexander Arms data and RL7 is at the slower end. CFE BLK is right in the middle of those two. Seems to me that we need to work up a load. I'm gonna start with Speer 350gr HP on top of 40.0gr CFE BLK.

I can't find any other data online, but if I missed something please send me the links!

I've played with several powders and bullet weights but still looking for more brass. I've got plenty of components but lacking some brass (only have about 300). Watching this thread resurrection for some good info too!

I've played with several powders and bullet weights but still looking for more brass. I've got plenty of components but lacking some brass (only have about 300). Watching this thread resurrection for some good info too!
I just received my order from Starline and also got an in-stock notification from MidwayUSA. My advice, order from Starline because it's so much cheaper. I got 250 pcs for $175 delivered.

Also, make sure you are searching for 12.7 x 42mm.

Too bad you're not closer. I would give you some to play with until you got an order in.

Too bad you're not closer. I would give you some to play with until you got an order in.
I appreciate the offer but have close to 300 to play with. Was just looking for more to stockpile. Now, if I can just get my crimping down then it would reliably cycle. Wish I would have realized that before buying a different premium barrel and bolt only to have the same issues, LOL

I appreciate the offer but have close to 300 to play with. Was just looking for more to stockpile. Now, if I can just get my crimping down then it would reliably cycle. Wish I would have realized that before buying a different premium barrel and bolt only to have the same issues, LOL
Interesting...Lee makes a factory crimp die. Are you using that?

So far I've loaded Lehigh 350 and 420 penetrators. I still have some of their match stuff they don't make any more.

Interesting...Lee makes a factory crimp die. Are you using that?

So far I've loaded Lehigh 350 and 420 penetrators. I still have some of their match stuff they don't make any more.
Yes, I'm using Lee dies. They just seem to be too fat at the base to chamber fully. I'm going to order a chamber checker block to see where I'm going wrong.

Anyone get their Beowulf running reliably yet? I've replaced everything on the upper, some multiple times including barrels and bolts. The only thing I haven changed is the upper itself. Got a stripped big bore in order to swap everything out. Even tried four different lowers, including multiple buffers too. I'm about $2500-$3000 into a $1000 gun, LOL. I have a cool looking single shot 50cal AR. Headed to the range today to try another different bullet profile. Yes, I've tried seven different types of mags, including every Beowulf specific one I can lay my hands on.

Anyone get their Beowulf running reliably yet? I've replaced everything on the upper, some multiple times including barrels and bolts. The only thing I haven changed is the upper itself. Got a stripped big bore in order to swap everything out. Even tried four different lowers, including multiple buffers too. I'm about $2500-$3000 into a $1000 gun, LOL. I have a cool looking single shot 50cal AR. Headed to the range today to try another different bullet profile. Yes, I've tried seven different types of mags, including every Beowulf specific one I can lay my hands on.
O'doyle Single Shot Rules! But not for $2500 plus. Sorry for not following but what problems are you having trying to get it to run?

O'doyle Single Shot Rules! But not for $2500 plus. Sorry for not following but what problems are you having trying to get it to run?

First problem is just getting it to chamber the first round (about 75% fail). Tried all sorts of ammo and mags including reloads, all pass the chamber checker. Second is if it chambers and actually fires (normally only goes 99% into battery, lets the firing pin drop but too far out to fire) then the second round gets jammed up, parallel to the bore but too low to hit feed ramps. This is with tons of Beowulf specific mags, modified mags, multiple lowers, and new barrels, bolts, everything I can think of. It started out as a cheap BCA complete upper (side charger) and now the only remaining BCA is the receiver itself. I have an Aero Precision on order to swap all parts over to it, I'm thinking if the machining of the bolt channel is not perfectly aligned to the bore may be causing my issues, possibly. If that doesn't work out then may want to watch the pay it foreword thread as it's ALL going to go away, LOL. Spare uppers, barrels, BGC's, dies, brass, Bullets, etc. I'm about done with it, life is too short for this kind of frustration, LOL.

First problem is just getting it to chamber the first round (about 75% fail). Tried all sorts of ammo and mags including reloads, all pass the chamber checker. Second is if it chambers and actually fires (normally only goes 99% into battery, lets the firing pin drop but too far out to fire) then the second round gets jammed up, parallel to the bore but too low to hit feed ramps. This is with tons of Beowulf specific mags, modified mags, multiple lowers, and new barrels, bolts, everything I can think of. It started out as a cheap BCA complete upper (side charger) and now the only remaining BCA is the receiver itself. I have an Aero Precision on order to swap all parts over to it, I'm thinking if the machining of the bolt channel is not perfectly aligned to the bore may be causing my issues, possibly. If that doesn't work out then may want to watch the pay it foreword thread as it's ALL going to go away, LOL. Spare uppers, barrels, BGC's, dies, brass, Bullets, etc. I'm about done with it, life is too short for this kind of frustration, LOL.
Dang, trying to solve all those problems is way above my pay grade. Trying the new upper sounds like a logical next step given everything else has been replaced. You stuck it out way longer than I would have.

Out of curiosity are you running a standard firing pin or extended firing pin?

Dang, trying to solve all those problems is way above my pay grade. Trying the new upper sounds like a logical next step given everything else has been replaced. You stuck it out way longer than I would have.

Out of curiosity are you running a standard firing pin or extended firing pin?
Standard firing pin. I just degreased the entire upper and lubed it generously as I'm headed to the range shortly (get the day off paid for my Bday!) no better way to spend a Friday. Will report back.

Standard firing pin. I just degreased the entire upper and lubed it generously as I'm headed to the range shortly (get the day off paid for my Bday!) no better way to spend a Friday. Will report back.
Happy Birthday! I was thinking if the bcg was in battery enough to let it fire it might be safe to run an extended firing pin like they use for 7.62x39 set ups. The protruding portion of the firing pin sticks out just a tiny bit more than a standard pin to help set off harder primers. It could help set off more of your primers. I am not sure what would be causing your set up not to be going in that last little bit to full battery.

Last Edited:
Happy Birthday! I was thinking if the bcg was in battery enough to let it fire it might be safe to run an extended firing pin like they use for 7.62x39 set ups. The protruding portion of the firing pin sticks out just a tiny bit more than a standard pin to help set off harder primers. It could help set off more of your primers. I am not sure what would be causing your set up not to be going in that last little bit to full battery.

I'll order that pin just for fun, already ballz deep in this project, LOL. As far as my range report, you can make fun of me if you'd like but I left my ammo at home. Oh well, I brought several others to shoot. It was sunny and warm, perfect afternoon. Thank you for the bday wishes, was on Sunday but I get to choose my "holiday". Fired over 60 rounds of 460 S&W Mag, 150 9mm out of my S&W 929 revolver (until the comp came loose), a bunch of 22lr form my S&W 617, and tons of 308/223 from my AR's. Couldn't ask for a better day off. I'll probably head back tomorrow to try my Beowulf as that's one I'm REALLY wanting to get running.

Buy once cry once. I am very wary of bca, radical, and the other budget builders, especially when it comes to some of these big bore AR chamberings. I am a big fan of Tromix for all things 458 socom and would probably go with Alexander components if I were to build a beowulf.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top