JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just getting into loading because of Beowulf ammo availability and cost.... even before the "crisis" a round cost me $1.60 (Underwood); and standing Alexander order my "never" be filled.
May as well load other stuff I got too, eventually.
I do have the most recent Lyman book.

Only data I come across is quoted from "Alexander arms" and its successful 4-5 powders and single primer.

Again I'm super NEW to loading and wanna be safe for sure, but SOMEBODY has to have tried something else. Other than Alexander.

Again I'm NEW but how much closer can you get than .500 SW mags, .458 So, .450 bush (same 30-43 grains) and a little bit lighter on the powder than those 45-70,45-90 and.458 lot guns? All with a multitude of powders and different primers.

Again super NEW .....Whats so far off..., case pressure, case pressure, case pressure...... but how far off...? 33,000 psi——36,000 CUP (limits Google for Beowulf) doesn't seam far off of the others listed.

Why the lacking for this round?

Last Edited:
It sounds like you may be lacking a reloading manual. If thats the case I highly suggest one especially if you intend on loading more than one caliber in the future (also highly suggested) if you like i can see what data i have in my lyman 50th manual.

Also I forgot to mention I'm pretty sure Alexander arms has a trademark on the name "50 beowulf" therefore other companies have to refer to it as 12.7x.... blah blah whatever metric number it equates to

20210216_213459.jpg 20210216_213508.jpg

It sounds like you may be lacking a reloading manual. If thats the case I highly suggest one especially if you intend on loading more than one caliber in the future (also highly suggested) if you like i can see what data i have in my lyman 50th manual.
Have the same book..... about 6 bullet weight, 300-500grn. h110, 1680, lilgun, IMR 4227..........
About 4-5 different things yes that is sufficient.

I just see pages upon pages of other cartridges. I guess because it's not a "hunting" or "tactical" thing. But it's still like 10 years old or more.

There's still isn't much data here. But maybe it will give you some insight. While I dont have a beo yet (I plan to very soon) I can say that I've had great luck with h110 in other cartridges.

Also I forgot to mention I'm pretty sure Alexander arms has a trademark on the name "50 beowulf" therefore other companies have to refer to it as 12.7x.... blah blah whatever metric number it equates to
Yes maybe I could be searching the wrong cartridge. Could try different lingo

What kind of bullet powder combo are you trying to use?
I'm just curious why the options are so few compared to big cartridges.

For the Beowulf
I've managed to get the CCI#350 from father in-law, H110 from a farm store recently ($26, just a pound) and some Alliant 2400..... had 325grn hordany ftx and some 350 JHP. once fired brass (Alexander-Underwood) by me.

So I have plenty to try a press out for the first time. Plus I want to do some regular things (bubblegum they're called) 9,.223,.357

Last Edited:
As far as primers go, so long as its the right size (small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, etc...) they will work. If youre trying to dial in 1/4" groups then primers can make a difference but as long as your not running super hot max loads THEN switch to a magnum primer. You will be fine. So it sounds like you're off to a good start. The lack of powder options is because its a huge case with a huge projectile that has to have enough umph to push that heavy projectile down a 16" barrel, have enough velocity to be effective AND cycle your action in an ar. There are few powders that will accomplish this and not have too much pressure for the relatively thin barrel, within a standard ar15 upper. For example, you could probably use other pistol powders such as unique or red dot, for reduced loads,, but those powders probably wouldn't have enough gas to operate the ar action.. If this cartridge were designed for a hefty bolt action then it would probably have a higher pressure limit like other rifle cartridges. It would also kick like a mule and be able to use more typical "rifle" powders.

"Not running super max hot loads then switch.."
So need magnum for light loads? Or magnum for max loads?
My father has stuff r-19,r-22, 7828 from what I remember seeing. Large magnum rifle primers, large pistol, small pistol, large rifle but he specifically gave me those Winchesters.
I'm in no rush. I've got 100 I can do buy the book.

Thank you for your perspective. I appreciate you

Hahaha
Nice...... I wouldn't even bother getting heavier buffer if you don't mind recoil. Runs fine on carbine but I do have an H2 in there. Tank break helps big.
Thats awesome! I've been dreaming of this build for a few years now. And now I'm currently sleepless thinking about making my own tank brake...

And don't bother with Alexander mags. Junk for me. They don't have anti tilt and that's the biggest issue. Very disappointed.
Milspec alloy or steel just fine. I even did some filing of pmags. Still just use antitilt milspec

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top