JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple years ago I prepped some 38spl, 30.06 and 40S&W brass including putting in the primers

The last time I loaded some 40s&w I had 2 out 10 rounds not fire. I believe that while waiting to be loaded the primers may have absorbed some moisture and not fired

I have several boxes of all three calibers that I have Primer prepped. Is it possible that I can store them in a confined box with some dry packs and they would still be good? I would like to just deprime them but there might be a safety issue depriming live primers

The only other thing I could do would try firing them they way they are in a firearm and start over with them, the only problem with that is I no longer have a 40s&w pistol.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

I'm not sure I 100% understand the condition of the ammo you have, but if the ammo is loaded, it's nearly impossible to "dry out" the primers. If you have made yourself a bunch of primed brass, you should be able to dry it out using a little bit of heat, and time. I would recommend using a hair dryer no higher than medium to heat up the brass for 20 mins or so.

What I would suspect is do you store your cleaning chemicals anywhere near your primed brass? A little bit of hoppes vapor is enough to cause priming problems which you can't really recover from in this manner.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Give the 40 S&W to a friend who has one.

Load the rest and shoot them.

Check for other problems. Most primer boxes are not sealed from ambient moisture and could absorb just as much sitting in the box as in a case. Many times a misfire can be caused by damage to the primer while seating. Inadequate seating or crushing are two common errors.

these are primed only, no powder no lead
I don't like the idea of loading these and trying to fire them, if they fail to fire I have pull them apart and waste the time and powder.
These were stored in the plastic boxes but in the same cabinet as the gun cleaninsupplieseschemicalacontaminationon could bcausese along with moisture.
I will probably just fire the ones I can thre primeime them the 40s&w I will probably try to dry out with low heat,time and some of those moisture absorbing packets ,load and give to my brother for target practice

Thanks for the info

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top