JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad to hear you will be able to give them a try with suppressors attached. Knowing your interest in suppressors is for pistol use, it is a good thing to try first, especially if you haven't before. I say this as I personally can not stand shooting centerfire pistols suppressed. Rimfire is fine, mostly as the suppressors are smaller and lighter. Centerfire cans can be very long and heavy, especially if you want them to work well. 7-8 inches can be added to a rifle meant to be held and shot with 3 points of contact. Same thing added to a pistol meant to be held away from the body just kind of sucks. The only enjoyable pistol I've shot with a suppressor on it was a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45. The owner had a Small Arms carbon fiber suppressor on it. The set up was very nice and very quiet as 45 is mostly subsonic. This is all my opinion of course and I don't mean to disparage any decision making.

If @ORhutner has a 22lr pistol and can, I hope he brings those as well. As in my unsolicited opinion, I think something along those lines would make a much better critter dispatching tool over a big 9mm. The right ammo and your neighbors will never know anything! These would also fit better in a fanny pack with the suppressor on. Where the bigger pistol would likely need to be stored and or holstered without the suppressor on it, which might give the critter time to escape as you remove the thread protector and thread on the can.

Just some random thoughts and opinions.
Thanks, @Reno. Very useful to know that you find center fire suppressor too unwieldy to be workable. Its quite possible that I might not like the feel of center fire guns with suppressors at all. The main reason for my thinking in terms of a suppressor on a 9mm for pest or small predator control is I don't like .22 for self defense. Any handgun for me has to be primarily excellent for self defense. So if I carried a .22 for pest control I would likely want to carry something else as well. That's a bit much. And the use for garden pest control is very secondary to just routine self defense. At one point I used to have multiple .22 target pistols, but got out of .22 entirely for that reason and sold off the .22s except for my mother's Colt Woodsman, which I inherited. But that was before suppressors became an issue. @ORhutner is going to bring a number of .22s with suppressors too, as well as an FNX45-Tac. So I should have a chance to figure out whether I want to suppress a 9mm at all. Its good to have all these issues raised so I get as much as possible out of my meeting with @ORhutner .

My next gun needs to be a 9mm whether I suppress it or not, as I'm getting increasing requests from friends to teach them to shoot, and want to teach them on both a 9mm and a .357 revolver shooting .38 sp. But I want a 9mm that is also useful for me as an alternate EDC. And that might be a good choice for an EDC for those I teach.

Thanks, @Reno. Very useful to know that you find center fire suppressor too unwieldy to be workable. Its quite possible that I might not like the feel of center fire guns with suppressors at all. The main reason for my thinking in terms of a suppressor on a 9mm for pest or small predator control is I don't like .22 for self defense. Any handgun for me has to be primarily excellent for self defense. So if I carried a .22 for pest control I would likely want to carry something else as well. That's a bit much. And the use for garden pest control is very secondary to just routine self defense. At one point I used to have multiple .22 target pistols, but got out of .22 entirely for that reason and sold off the .22s except for my mother's Colt Woodsman, which I inherited. But that was before suppressors became an issue. @ORhutner is going to bring a number of .22s with suppressors too, as well as an FNX45-Tac. So I should have a chance to figure out whether I want to suppress a 9mm at all. Its good to have all these issues raised so I get as much as possible out of my meeting with @ORhutner .

My next gun needs to be a 9mm whether I suppress it or not, as I'm getting increasing requests from friends to teach them to shoot, and want to teach them on both a 9mm and a .357 revolver shooting .38 sp. But I want a 9mm that is also useful for me as an alternate EDC. And that might be a good choice for an EDC for those I teach.
Totally understandable. I'm getting a better picture to your needs and desires to own a suppressor. Suppressor ownership is as varied as gun ownership. In my opinion, on a handgun, they don't equate to a efficient self defense tool. You lose the compactness and pointability of the handgun. They also don't help with precision, depending on the action, point of impact shift can be quite noticeable. Just wanted to put that information in your hands.

I can see you having a holstered (pick of the discussed pistols) and your suppressor tucked inside the fanny pack. Keeping the pistol compact for SD and when needed, thread that hush puppy on and dispatch an unwanted nibbler without telling the neighbors about it.

Im not sure if you have looked at suppressors yet or purchased one yet, but I'd say look at ones that are configurable. That way you can ultimately decide the overall length you are comfortable adding to the pistol that produces adequate sound suppression.

I'm glad to hear you will be able to give them a try with suppressors attached. Knowing your interest in suppressors is for pistol use, it is a good thing to try first, especially if you haven't before. I say this as I personally can not stand shooting centerfire pistols suppressed. Rimfire is fine, mostly as the suppressors are smaller and lighter. Centerfire cans can be very long and heavy, especially if you want them to work well. 7-8 inches can be added to a rifle meant to be held and shot with 3 points of contact. Same thing added to a pistol meant to be held away from the body just kind of sucks. The only enjoyable pistol I've shot with a suppressor on it was a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45. The owner had a Small Arms carbon fiber suppressor on it. The set up was very nice and very quiet as 45 is mostly subsonic. This is all my opinion of course and I don't mean to disparage any decision making.

If @ORhutner has a 22lr pistol and can, I hope he brings those as well. As in my unsolicited opinion, I think something along those lines would make a much better critter dispatching tool over a big 9mm. The right ammo and your neighbors will never know anything! These would also fit better in a fanny pack with the suppressor on. Where the bigger pistol would likely need to be stored and or holstered without the suppressor on it, which might give the critter time to escape as you remove the thread protector and thread on the can.

Just some random thoughts and opinions.
+1 on the 22 rifle/pistol with a quality suppressor although the pistol with a 4 1/2 barrel pretty much everything is subsonic . The rifle you need to use subs otherwise you may as well not even use the can . I shot my Tikka TX1 with subs and my suppressor a guy at the range asked what type of co2 cylinders I use LOL.

So... if you decide that a suppressed 9mm is out may I suggest a CZ 2075 RAMI? Good compact carry 9mm that shoots much like my CZ 75 pre B but much easier to carry. For suppressed pest control a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a compact suppressor.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top