JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These two guns are almost identical in dimensions and weights. Both are sexy urban grey ladies, DA/SA, and have exposed hammers, threaded barrels, high night sights and rails, all of which matter to me. (How do I know they are ladies? They have...ahem, cough, cough...decockers.) The P-01 has an aluminum frame, costs about $200 more, and holds 15 rounds in the magazine; the P-07 has a polymer frame, costs less and holds 17 in the magazine, but these are not decisive factors.

The problem is, I've never seen or had a chance to handle either gun. And they are hard enough to find that if I want one, I'm probably going to have to order it or commit to it sight unseen. And I'm afraid if I wait the high capacity mags or barrels threaded for suppressors and suppressors might get banned. (If they get banned after I get mine, well, I can lose all my guns in a tragic boating accident just as well as anyone else.)

The P-O1 has a contoured grip that looks in photos like it might give me the grip angle I like, but there are no alternate backstraps. The P--07 grip has three alternate back straps that might give me a better chance of getting a good fit. My hand is about medium for a man, which I'm not, but nobody told my hands or feet. I wear a mens medium in glove sizes, and have a hand span of 8.5" on one hand and 9" on the other. I also found the Glock 23 I had for a while fit me pretty well, and I liked that grip angle. The Colt Gov. Model 1911 doesn't point well for me. I'm wondering which of the guns would be more likely to fit my hand and point well for me. Any thoughts?

Another major issue is accuracy. In addition to doing everything most people expect from an EDC, I'd also want it to be a "gardening gun," that is capable of knocking over critters like gophers or rabbits who presume to consume my plant breeding efforts. And the more accurate the gun is, the greater the range for which that's possible. The suppressor could be carried with my field gear and screwed on when needed to remove garden pests without bothering neighbors. Likewise if I get a duck flock again and need to protect it from predators.

A final issue is the quality of the trigger pulls. I've become spoiled by having revolvers like 686s and 629s. What can you tell me about trigger pulls on either or both these guns?

Carol

Last Edited:
Very good questions. Unless someone has one of each, you're going to get one sided opinions. Here's mine...

I love my "standard" P01. I'm a medium build guy with accompanying hand size, and the factory grips with the palm swell are too big for me. That said, Lok Grips or VZ have great options to remedy that. The grip angle is very accommodating for easy point of aim shooting, and is heralded by many for this feature, as are most CZ 75 platforms. The trigger is good, but has some extra take-up, biut not bad. I haven't handled a P07, so no comparison.

Hopefully someone on this forum with one or both will give you a chance to handle their pistol(s) if you can't find them at a dealer.

The P-07 is lighter which is a consideration for many when it comes to everyday carry. If the P-01 doesn't fit your hand like a glove, then the P-07 at least has the option of multiple backstraps.

I love my CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical but hated the curved trigger. [It's all steel and heavier than the two you are looking at.] I got the Cajun Gun Works package installed, so the curved trigger was replaced with the kind that is on the P-01 & P-07, and all the other replacement springs/pins/polishing resulted in a shorter takeup and reset, and a lighter double and single action trigger pull. I prefer hammer-fired DA/SA pistols so I'm prejudiced that way.

Hopefully someone on this forum with one or both will give you a chance to handle their pistol(s) if you can't find them at a dealer.

The P-07 is lighter which is a consideration for many when it comes to everyday carry. If the P-01 doesn't fit your hand like a glove, then the P-07 at least has the option of multiple backstraps.

I love my CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical but hated the curved trigger. [It's all steel and heavier than the two you are looking at.] I got the Cajun Gun Works package installed, so the curved trigger was replaced with the kind that is on the P-01 & P-07, and all the other replacement springs/pins/polishing resulted in a shorter takeup and reset, and a lighter double and single action trigger pull. I prefer hammer-fired DA/SA pistols so I'm prejudiced that way.
I think the two guns I'm comparing are 29 ounces vs 28.7 oz, nearly identical. And dimensions are very similar too. I think I would have trouble concealing your CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical, which is seriously bigger than the two I'm considering as well as heavier, though its likely the I would like as as a range gun. Revolvers are easier for me to carry concealed because we have complementary configurations.

CZ75 and 1911 grip angles are the same, so you may experience the same natural point issues.
Haven't shot a P-07. Have shot a P-01, an Ω, and the two 75Bs that I owned.
On the 75, if it has the standard curved trigger, for some it takes a bit to get used to. The take-up spring is also heavier than it needs to be, so if you're not a brute in hand strength, you'll feel the spring after two boxes of ammo.
IMO, the 75 trigger from the factory can be rough. It's easy enough to polish, or you could get an upgrade from CGW or CZ Custom Shop.
If you look closely at the trigger guard, you'll see the bottom part is curved. With your hand size, I'd wager the odds are better than 50:50 that your middle finger will need to become accustomed to the pressure from the trigger housing. It's not a deal-breaker irritation, though mine developed a light callous in the intermediate phalange of the middle finger.
I have no experience with your S&W revolver models and cannot comment how the trigger compares.
My current 75B is a 40S&W Tactical Sport two tone, aluminum frame. One of my all-time favorites.

I have quite a few CZ handguns, but not the two you are considering. Most of mine are the CZ-75 variants; I don't have any of the Omegas that have a different trigger mechanism if I recall correctly. Closest that I have to what you are looking at is probably a P09 suppressor ready in 9mm, and a PCR in 9mm. Also have a SP-01 (not P-01) suppressor ready that is full size and steel frame.

The shape/curve of the factory triggers (especially on some of the decocker models) is not comfortable for some, while others don't have a problem with it. As others noted, Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom has parts readily available to make the CZs more comfortable (if you don't like the trigger shape) and smoother action if you want to upgrade. I have used Cajun parts to upgrade many of mine, while others are fairly stock.

@OldBroad44 if you are in or travel through/to the central Willamette valley I have both of these pistols and you are welcome to compare and dry fire to make your decision.

The P-01 will have the better factory trigger on average and will benefit more from a Cajun gunworks kit. Both triggers are above average from the factory. The P-01 has a more ergonomic grip in my opinion and fits my hand great but I have no issue with the P-07 grip. I have both because I am a sucker for CZ's and choosing one is like asking who your favorite child is. I am not sure EDC'ing any gun with suppressor height sights and threaded barrel is going to be great compared to some of the concealed carry oriented pistols.

@OldBroad44 if you are in or travel through/to the central Willamette valley I have both of these pistols and you are welcome to compare and dry fire to make your decision.

The P-01 will have the better factory trigger on average and will benefit more from a Cajun gunworks kit. Both triggers are above average from the factory. The P-01 has a more ergonomic grip in my opinion and fits my hand great but I have no issue with the P-07 grip. I have both because I am a sucker for CZ's and choosing one is like asking who your favorite child is. I am not sure EDC'ing any gun with suppressor height sights and threaded barrel is going to be great compared to some of the concealed carry oriented pistols.
Hurray! I'm in Corvallis too, @OR Hunter . Or a few miles from it.
Are your guns modified from factory?
If the P-01 has the better factory trigger, why would it benefit more from upgrading?

I want the suppressor capabilities because of my excuse...er, I mean need...for a gardening gun. In that particular role I'll carry it in my fanny pack. Yeah, I know that's not optimal, but when you're bending over a lot or crawling around on tarps on the ground on hands and evaluating dried been plants, as I did yesterday, there is no other comfortable way to carry a gun of this size concealed. I usually carry Buddy, my 686 snubby, in my fanny pack when plant breeding, and he is only slightly smaller in both dimensions but significantly heavier than the two CZs. And he fits with plenty of room to spare. But thats for SD only. I don't use Buddy to take out garden pests. Its legal to shoot there, but would likely worry neighbors. I know I would never fire in the direction of their house or fields, but they don't know that, and would probably come investigate, which I would prefer to do without.

Do you have any other CZ handguns too? What about a FNX-45 Tac? That's another I've been coveting that I've also never had a chance to handle.

I had both. Only have the P-01 now. Both were great. Several women who shot both preferred the 07. I think the physical trigger was easier to grab and maybe lighter. I preferred the 01.

They filled the same purpose for me so one went away. The one negative on the 07 is the grip can feel a bit slippery. The grip feels great but after a while can become less grippy. I bought some pre cut grip tape but never installed it.

I had both. Only have the P-01 now. Both were great. Several women who shot both preferred the 07. I think the physical trigger was easier to grab and maybe lighter. I preferred the 01.

They filled the same purpose for me so one went away. The one negative on the 07 is the grip can feel a bit slippery. The grip feels great but after a while can become less grippy. I bought some pre cut grip tape but never installed it.
My hands are, as I mentioned, medium sized relative to men. So I think the best info about ergonomics for me will be from men with medium size hands, not women, whose hands will almost all be much smaller and lighter built than mine. I don't have any arthritis or other problems in my hands, either, and never have had trouble jacking slides.

What size are your hands?

My hands are, as I mentioned, medium sized relative to men. So I think the best info about ergonomics for me will be from men with medium size hands, not women, whose hands will almost all be much smaller and lighter built than mine. I don't have any arthritis or other problems in my hands, either, and never have had trouble jacking slides.

What size are your hands?
For motorcycle gloves I wear Lg/XL. It varies. With age I don't really have paws anymore. My fingers aren't particularly long. The 07 is a great pistol. My preference is metal guns. I think the 01 just fit me better.

I will try as best I can-
First off, I have the P-01 in 9mm, 75-compact in .40 and a 75 Pre-B transitional in 9. I used to own the p-07 in .40 and traded it. It's the one I wish I still had
That said, I live in the bvrtn-aloha area and if @OldBroad44 is close by, then I could meet and you may hold each. Cant help you compare the differences between the 07 and mine though. Also, Cajun GW does occasionally sell threaded bbls for the 01, 06 and compact 75's. some may need refitted. An option if you like the 01 is buy it used, then wait for the bbl to become available. Thats what i did for the pre-B. (It needed fitting though). While I liked the eronomics of the 07 and the weight of it fully loaded with the .40 rnds seemed about what my 01 is, it just did not feel 'right' to me. Yes, i want another, but my go to carry is and has been the 01. also, some may not like it, but i have the decocker version. My compact in .40 is the safety only version. I prefer the de-cocker, but thats just me
for what its worth

Hurray! I'm in Corvallis too, @OR Hunter . Or a few miles from it.
Are your guns modified from factory?
If the P-01 has the better factory trigger, why would it benefit more from upgrading?

I want the suppressor capabilities because of my excuse...er, I mean need...for a gardening gun. In that particular role I'll carry it in my fanny pack. Yeah, I know that's not optimal, but when you're bending over a lot or crawling around on tarps on the ground on hands and evaluating dried been plants, as I did yesterday, there is no other comfortable way to carry a gun of this size concealed. I usually carry Buddy, my 686 snubby, in my fanny pack when plant breeding, and he is only slightly smaller in both dimensions but significantly heavier than the two CZs. And he fits with plenty of room to spare. But thats for SD only. I don't use Buddy to take out garden pests. Its legal to shoot there, but would likely worry neighbors. I know I would never fire in the direction of their house or fields, but they don't know that, and would probably come investigate, which I would prefer to do without.

Do you have any other CZ handguns too? What about a FNX-45 Tac? That's another I've been coveting that I've also never had a chance to handle.
I am just south of you in the Monroe area so should be easy to coordinate a meetup. I do have CZ's outside of the two currently being discussed in addition to an FNX45T. I also have a Cajun upgraded CZ you can try out. Start a conversation and we can discuss details.

I am just south of you in the Monroe area so should be easy to coordinate a meetup. I do have CZ's outside of the two currently being discussed in addition to an FNX45T. I also have a Cajun upgraded CZ you can try out. Start a conversation and we can discuss details.
:) Will send PM.

Having shot both. I'd lean towards the P07. It's a very nice polymer pistol. The grip is more comfortable to me than the P01. It also has a larger trigger area.

Is the P09 left out because it's bigger?

Also, is there any interest in the P10?

I ask about the P10 as it has more slide to grab onto, where as the others have slim slides to manipulate. It's something I'm not used to and I notice every time someone lets me shoot their CZ.

Another thing to consider, since you mentioned wanting one of these for shooting suppressed, is balance.

A heavier pistol will feel better with weight on the barrel than a lighter pistol with that same weight out front. For that reason I'd likely lean towards the P01.

Having shot both. I'd lean towards the P07. It's a very nice polymer pistol. The grip is more comfortable to me than the P01. It also has a larger trigger area.

Is the P09 left out because it's bigger?

Also, is there any interest in the P10?

I ask about the P10 as it has more slide to grab onto, where as the others have slim slides to manipulate. It's something I'm not used to and I notice every time someone lets me shoot their CZ.

Another thing to consider, since you mentioned wanting one of these for shooting suppressed, is balance.

A heavier pistol will feel better with weight on the barrel than a lighter pistol with that same weight out front. For that reason I'd likely lean towards the P01.
Thanks, @Reno . Your observation that a heavier gun will feel better with the weight of a suppressor on the barrel is very useful. @ORhutner and I are arranging to get together so I can see his guns, and he's going to bring suppressors too. And he has a P09 too. I was worried the P09 might not fit my fanny pack, but it just might. Too close to call. I'll have a chance to find out. Its less likely that I could carry the 09 holstered at my waist, though, than a smaller semiauto. Its a huge slab and I'm curved there. Its a lot easier for me to waist carry revolvers that complement my shape.

As for the P10, I like the idea of the DA/SA MO. I also think I want an exposed hammer. These days, its harder for me to get out and shoot. So whatever I get, I want to be able to use a laser training device with it so I can have more enjoyable dry firing sessions that better satisfy my drive to aim and throw at home. With an exposed hammer I can cock the hammer to ready the gun for the next shot. Without an exposed hammer I would have to jack the slide for each shot. I think that would get very old very fast.

I like the full size the weight really helps with recoil and has a threaded barrel and suppressor sights . The urban grey is well ugly and throw red armanov grips on it and it is so fugly it is pretty again . I looked at the SP 01 for a while and sure am glad I did get one my daughter picked it out and she loves shooting it as well . The pistol is accurate the magazines are not that spendy and will shoot any ammo you put in it the trigger does stink but it is a combat weapon . I like the decocker and no safety so not so much different from my Sigs .

Thanks, @Reno . Your observation that a heavier gun will feel better with the weight of a suppressor on the barrel is very useful. @ORhutner and I are arranging to get together so I can see his guns, and he's going to bring suppressors too. And he has a P09 too. I was worried the P09 might not fit my fanny pack, but it just might. Too close to call. I'll have a chance to find out. Its less likely that I could carry the 09 holstered at my waist, though, than a smaller semiauto. Its a huge slab and I'm curved there. Its a lot easier for me to waist carry revolvers that complement my shape.

As for the P10, I like the idea of the DA/SA MO. I also think I want an exposed hammer. These days, its harder for me to get out and shoot. So whatever I get, I want to be able to use a laser training device with it so I can have more enjoyable dry firing sessions that better satisfy my drive to aim and throw at home. With an exposed hammer I can cock the hammer to ready the gun for the next shot. Without an exposed hammer I would have to jack the slide for each shot. I think that would get very old very fast.
I'm glad to hear you will be able to give them a try with suppressors attached. Knowing your interest in suppressors is for pistol use, it is a good thing to try first, especially if you haven't before. I say this as I personally can not stand shooting centerfire pistols suppressed. Rimfire is fine, mostly as the suppressors are smaller and lighter. Centerfire cans can be very long and heavy, especially if you want them to work well. 7-8 inches can be added to a rifle meant to be held and shot with 3 points of contact. Same thing added to a pistol meant to be held away from the body just kind of sucks. The only enjoyable pistol I've shot with a suppressor on it was a Dan Wesson 1911 in 45. The owner had a Small Arms carbon fiber suppressor on it. The set up was very nice and very quiet as 45 is mostly subsonic. This is all my opinion of course and I don't mean to disparage any decision making.

If @ORhutner has a 22lr pistol and can, I hope he brings those as well. As in my unsolicited opinion, I think something along those lines would make a much better critter dispatching tool over a big 9mm. The right ammo and your neighbors will never know anything! These would also fit better in a fanny pack with the suppressor on. Where the bigger pistol would likely need to be stored and or holstered without the suppressor on it, which might give the critter time to escape as you remove the thread protector and thread on the can.

Just some random thoughts and opinions.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top