Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CZ 75 B -vs- Browning Hi Power

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RicInOR, Oct 16, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buy one of each and see for yourself. You can't go wrong.

I have 2 CZs and had one Hi Power. To me, they feel very similar at first. I preferred the CZ to the HP. I've heard some complain that right out of the box, the CZ trigger curve can be uncomfortable. It's not been a problem for me.
    I couldn't shoot my Hi Power very well and gave it to my bro. He LOVES it.

3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This is where World of Guns is worth the $20 purchase
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/262410/

accurate parts and function. watch function in slow motion and hide parts to see how the underlying pieces fit together. Its free as a game but for $20 you get all the guns which I use as a reference all the time

CZ75
    bMag15m.png

HiPower
    aWRG8AD.png

spookshack and coyotecaller like this.
  4. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well that is an useful app!

@bolus BZ

5. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Well how about single action HP trigger vs. Double action CZ trigger?

I hate the HP action . But only don't like the CZ triger!
    But both look beautiful! :s0140:

6. MEP1000

MEP1000 Milwaukie Active Member

I love my Hi Power, just need to figure out how to get rid of the hammer bite it gives me o_Oo_O

B5Ben likes this.
  7. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Mine bites me as well if my grip is just a little too high. Only happens once in a long while though.

8. MEP1000

I get it twice lol the underside of the hammer AND the spur!!! I'm looking at maybe sending mine in for a beaver tail from Novak or Cylinder&Slide.

9. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

The two get compared a lot but they are not terribly similar. One was successor ti the 1911 the other was inspired by various designs. Sao vs a da/sa gun. There are similarities but also striking differenced.

Having owned and shot both - and love both for different reasons - I will say I prefer the cz for "serious bizness" - I love the hi power as a range gun.

The Hi Power has an ok trigger made better by removing the damnedable mag disconnector - a feature that kills the deal for me for anything but a range toy.

The cz in its original form has an ok da trigger and a better single action than most high powers out of the box.

Both can be tuned by good gunsmiths into functional works of industrial blood letting art.

As for hammer bite... a bobbed or ring hammer helps. The right grips help too. My fav factory version is the mk III with pachmyr grips.

The cz is a bigger gun and a tad heavier in all steel versions. Base capacity is higher on the cz and mags are cheaper and easier to find too in general.

FM (argentinian company) makes a sweet hi power for the budget market and they do a "detective kit" that they sell as well giving you a compact slide option that works on any true hi power or true spec clone. I have seen FM hi powers in shops for $400 - half of a Browning/FN gun.

spookshack and No_Regerts like this.
  10. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Mkwerx sums it about right.

11. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

Go with the CZ and get the SA trigger with the Cajun gunworks kit or it come stock in the CZ 75BSA which I have. I love my CZ! When I got it I thought the trigger was decent but I'm a perfectionist so I had Fred at C.a.R. Firearms get the kit and polish everything up. It's now amazing!
    Forgot to mention my cousin has a Hi Power and It's ok but the CZ is way better

guitarguy likes this.
  12. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

apples and oranges, two different approaches. both are fine weapons in their own right. I if I had to pick between the two it would be very difficult. high power trigger can be improved by removing the mag safety and a bit of minor stone work. the hammer bite can most times be alleviated by the installation of a commander style hammer and a set of hogue grips. John Moses Browning is my hero.

spookshack likes this.
  13. Pops1911

Pops1911 Cinebar/Issaquah Well-Known Member

I am really liking the idea of the CZ 75 B stainless. Might be a Christmas present to myself. I am a sucker for shiny guns. :)

Medic! and guitarguy like this.
  14. Pops1911

Couldn't wait until Christmas! Called my LGS and they have mine on the way arriving next week. Obviously will have range reports soon. Gawd I love a shiny gun. LOL

MEP1000 likes this.
  15. AndyH

AndyH Keizer, Oregon Well-Known Member

Hi Power... Hi power... Hi power....

16. MEP1000

How many do you have? LOL I do recall one up for sale a while ago if memory serves me right.

17. bumbazine

bumbazine Newberg, OR Member

I've owned two Hi Powers and a CZ85B. I still have the CZ. If you look at the pictures Bolus posted you'll see where the hammer sits at full cock on the two pistols. My Hi Powers used to bite me. The CZ never does.
    I also remember that a holster that I had for the Browning was too snug for the CZ. The CZ is a bigger gun.
    mkwerx, Does FM still market the detective side assembly? I haven't seen one in years. I wish I'd gotten one when I had my Argentine. I'd probably still have it if I had.

18. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I did a lot of research on the HP and CZ about 1994 before I purchased the 75 and 85 BD. Then, there was no comparison in the strength of the steel where the CZ could digest almost any load but not the HP. The HP is a prettier gun and finer lines. It is a great piece. The CZ then was closely related to the vintage that arms the Russians. I love my CZ's--both are super accurate and strong as an ox. I would buy the HP as a pretty carry gun--but for continued hard work or combat I'd go with the CZ--which can handle a 19 round magazine flush.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  19. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

I dunnO if they are still but theres lots of them out there and I saw a detective version at a gunshop a wwhile back being sold as a new gun.

20. Pops1911

New CZ75B first Range trip today. It is a drizzly/rainy day up here. Took the CZ to the range in the rain. No problems. Very solid firearm. The rubberized grips are first rate for slippery hands. I put right at 125 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr down range without fail and without problem. Shot where it was aimed. Honestly I am very favorably impressed with this pistol. It feels so close to a 1911A1 that it was not a tough shooting transition at all. I didn't think I would like it but using the first shot as D/A was not an issue. Felt like I was shooting my .357. All in all a great first outing with it. [sorry no pics. imadoofus]