JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I've been watching for when I can apply for a new CPL for almost a year now. I live in King county outside of any city limits. The current state of things seems to be that I can only go to downtown Seattle or Maple Valley to apply. I don't want to go to downtown Seattle. It's ironic that I would want a CPL to go to where I need to apply for one, but that's another story. I have not seen any available appointments at Maple Valley. So I don't seem to have much choice other than to wait until something changes.

Am I missing anything I could be doing?

Thanks,
Kevin

Go to the website to make sure you are up to date on what they are currently doing. When I looked, it said I could renew in Burien by walking in.

New and renewals are handled differently. I renewed at the king county sheriff station in Burien not that long ago relatively easy for something that is still an unconstitutional infringement on my right.

You can check online to see if they do new CPL's or only renewals. This might turn into a "it's going to suck the first time" situation if you want to get the process started sooner rather then later.

Go to the website to make sure you are up to date on what they are currently doing. When I looked, it said I could renew in Burien by walking in.

New and renewals are handled differently. I renewed at the king county sheriff station in Burien not that long ago relatively easy for something that is still an unconstitutional infringement on my right.

You can check online to see if they do new CPL's or only renewals. This might turn into a "it's going to suck the first time" situation if you want to get the process started sooner rather then later.
I have looked at the county and sheriff's web sites. That's how I got the info I have. Downtown Seattle and Maple Valley are the only offices that I can go to for a new CPL as a unincorporated county resident. And I've tried the appointment process at Maple Valley and can't get one. If I lived in some cities, I could go to the local offices there. So I'm just looking for confirmation that I am reading the web sites properly and I'm not missing some other method to get one. Thanks.

I have looked at the county and sheriff's web sites. That's how I got the info I have. Downtown Seattle and Maple Valley are the only offices that I can go to for a new CPL as la unincorporated county resident. And I've tried the appointment process at Maple Valley and can't get one. If I lived in some cities, I could go to the local offices there. So I'm just looking for confirmation that I am reading the web sites properly and I'm not missing some other method to get one. Thanks.
I live in a city that has a police department and I had to wait months years ago to go in and fill out the paperwork work and have my finger prints taken. When my CPL was going to expire, I tried to renew at the police department as well but their earliest appointment was after my CPL expired so went to Maple Valley for to renew my CPL last time. For renewals you don't have to make an appointment but sure now if it is the same now or not because of CV19.

But if you if you don't have CPL yet you have to make an appointment.

They are still using covid as an excuse to string people along who want their permit, when I check for appointments (almost 8 months now) there are never any appointments available, this is probably done by design,,, :mad:

Hello,

I've been watching for when I can apply for a new CPL for almost a year now. I live in King county outside of any city limits. The current state of things seems to be that I can only go to downtown Seattle or Maple Valley to apply. I don't want to go to downtown Seattle. It's ironic that I would want a CPL to go to where I need to apply for one, but that's another story. I have not seen any available appointments at Maple Valley. So I don't seem to have much choice other than to wait until something changes.

Am I missing anything I could be doing?

Thanks,
Kevin
You can always open carry into the courthouse, then check the firearm in with the police acting as security, conduct business, and then open carry out of the building after business was conducted.

You can always open carry into the courthouse, then check the firearm in with the police acting as security, conduct business, and then open carry out of the building after business was conducted.
Not sure about the King County Court House. I served on a jury in superior court and they only had storage for law enforcement only. The court house is old but I believe some of the newer court houses secure storage for a CPL holders.

This was back in summer of 2018 so maybe that has changed. I took the bus to downtown Seattle every day and did not have any issues. But I will not do any jury duty again unless secure storage lockers are available.

Not sure about the King County Court House. I served on a jury in superior court and they only had storage for law enforcement only. The court house is old but I believe some of the newer court houses secure storage for a CPL holders.

This was back in summer of 2018 so maybe that has changed. I took the bus to downtown Seattle every day and did not have any issues. But I will not do any jury duty again unless secure storage lockers are available.
By law the courthouse is required to provide secure storage for your firearm, otherwise a person would be denied their right to carry because they would have no where to put it to conduct business at the courthouse after they were disarmed.

As far as King County Courthouse. In 2016 I renewed my CPL and put a Glock in secure storage after telling the cop manning the metal detector checkpoint that I had a firearm to check in. The cop suggested I be more discreet so as to not worry people in the courthouse. I told him "If they aren't worried about you and your firearm, then they have nothing to worry about me and mine."

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews