JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There have been "cry rooms" established on some campuses so "stressed out" students can cry for a maximum of ten minutes before facing final exams, stressful classes, etc.

Strange, I was in my late 40's early 50's when I was at Portland State University. I was caring for a wife on peritoneal dialysis and facing a transplant. (I still finished with a 3.55 Undergraduate GPA and a 3.22 Postgraduate GPA over a 6-year period). The last four years I attended I knew that my Mary was terminally ill. No "cry rooms" for those of us that had the courage to "tough it out".

But, what do I know?

Last Edited:
I kinda sorta in a round about way understand it. The majority of the kids coming up today havent got a lick of grit anywhere in them. If they didn't have their safe spaces and bawling rooms the hallways would be filled with scared, offended, whimpering, moaning and bawling students. I certainly wouldn't want my hallways overflowing with that nonsense.

There have been "cry rooms" established on some campuses so "stressed out" students can cry for a maximum of ten minutes before facing final exams, stressful classes, etc.

Strange, I was in my late 40's early 50's when I was at Portland State University. I was caring for a wife on peritoneal dialysis and facing a transplant. (I still finished with a 3.55 Undergraduate GPA and a 3.22 Postgraduate GPA over a 6-year period. (The last two years I attended I knew that my Mary was terminally ill). No "cry rooms" for those of us that had the courage to "tough it out".

But, what do I know?
College students don't ordinarily realize that the entire rest of their lives are going to be more stressful than college. Every generation of college student feels overworked and overstressed. It's part of being 18 to 22. And every generation seems to mostly do fine after they get out and get real jobs as well as simply get a bit older.

And don't assume none of them have real problems. One 20 year old student I knew was working part time, going to school full time, and was legal guardian for 8 younger siblings. They had lost both parents in a car accident. She went home every day and ran a household of 9. A female grad student I knew had to deal with the fact that her adviser was trying to force her into having sex with him. Another student I knew who wasn't using protection with her fiance, a fellow student.... The rest of the story was she had been regularly raped by a step father when she was only 8. She was so internally damaged that she had been told she would never be able to have children. She said if she did get "accidentally pregnant" it would be an incredible miracle.

I think the crying rooms may be a good idea. On campuses there can be longer lines in lady's rooms to pee than there is time between classes. Why take up a toilet booth when it's a few minutes of privacy, not a toilet, that's what is needed?

We have one in our office at work. Except it is called a 'quiet room'. A small room with two chairs and a little table and dim lighting. Yes, I work for a very political correct company in downtown Portland.
I told management if they put a hammock or cot in it, maybe add a pillow, I could find a use for it. :cool:

College students don't ordinarily realize that the entire rest of their lives are going to be more stressful than college. Every generation of college student feels overworked and overstressed. It's part of being 18 to 22. And every generation seems to mostly do fine after they get out and get real jobs as well as simply get a bit older.

And don't assume none of them have real problems. One 20 year old student I knew was working part time, going to school full time, and was legal guardian for 8 younger siblings. They had lost both parents in a car accident. She went home every day and ran a household of 9. A female grad student I knew had to deal with the fact that her adviser was trying to force her into having sex with him. Another student I knew who wasn't using protection with her fiance, a fellow student.... The rest of the story was she had been regularly raped by a step father when she was only 8. She was so internally damaged that she had been told she would never be able to have children. She said if she did get "accidentally pregnant" it would be an incredible miracle.

I think the crying rooms may be a good idea. On campuses there can be longer lines in lady's rooms to pee than there is time between classes. Why take up a toilet booth when it's a few minutes of privacy, not a toilet, that's what is needed?
You make a valid point, for sure. However, I think you are missing where the overall sentiment is coming from regarding this. What started out with "everyone gets a trophy" evolved into safe spaces, several generations of effeminate males, the protest culture and now crying rooms. It's not that people don't need to take a break from their daily stressors, but now we have a generation of clueless entitled snobs who believe in the religion of green and special interests. Now people wonder why much of America is a bit jaded.

Wussie.jpg

When I needed to "decompress" I would find a place to be alone and ponder my situation. I have been stressed out beyond belief in life, but I survived. The "Politically Correct" (a creation of Chairman Mao used to silence opposition) is dismantling the structure of our nation. We should oppose it at every turn. We avoid doing so at our peril.

You make a valid point, for sure. However, I think you are missing where the overall sentiment is coming from regarding this. What started out with "everyone gets a trophy" evolved into safe spaces, several generations of effeminate males, the protest culture and now crying rooms. It's not that people don't need to take a break from their daily stressors, but now we have a generation of clueless entitled snobs who believe in the religion of green and special interests. Now people wonder why much of America is a bit jaded.
I agree about the trophies for all being ridiculous. However, I think its parents and teachers driving that, parents and teachers who want to pretend that every kid is capable of everything. I doubt many kids are fooled. Even before school, most kids have figured out that they suck at some things compared with peers, and excell at others. With a few years of school, most kids who are in the bottom half with respect to academic skills know it. And apparently bullying is as bad or worse than ever, so kids pretty much know where they stand on physical strength too. Parents and school teachers might often be seduced by the self esteem movement. But I think few students gain an iota of self esteem from all the emphasis on self esteem. I don't think problems on campus are coming from students thinking they are entitled.

I think the big problem is teachers and administrators are increasingly afraid to stand up to students. I think it sort of comes down to dominance. If the students are allowed to dominate the campus, they will. This generation of students or any other. And where students dominate they will generally be in favor of the courses all being easy, everyone getting As, and students being allowed to be guaranteed security from everything, including intelectual challenge or discomfort. Of course, by then their degrees will be worthless. It's actually the faculty's being in control of the training that makes the degees worth something. Its one generation of professionals in a field asserting to the world that these students are worthy to join that profession. Where students can harrass faculty, control course requirements silence teachers or voices they disagree with, or take over buildings and no administrator has the guts to expel anybody, it's the students running the show. And those degrees have become worthless.

Students have always protested. Probably a bad sign if they don't. In communist dictatorships the students dont protest. I think the first such college student protest in america was over butter in a Harvard house dining hall a few hundred years ago. The rallying cry was "Sir, our butter stinketh!" Result? The entire freshman class was expelled. Probably not quite the right balance between listening to legitimate grievances and maintaining faculty control. (The butter did stinketh.) But abdicating all authority and letting the students totally dominate is probably worse.

In my job, being stressed out or adrenalized can be quite bad. It tends to lead to somebody being assaulted. I occasionally take a moment so I can get my crap together before I head back out. Its more so I don't punch somebody in the throat as opposed to crying. But in college, I remember crying twice, in public. The day my dad got diagnosed (wrongly) with terminal cancer, and when my grandma died. I don't get it for stupid tests..

I get the need for an occasional mental health day. (I was offered one after the elevator I was in took a drop of a couple stories) A lot of coworkers get offered them after physical assaults at work, and I get needing a day or two after somebody tries to kill you. But that ain't whining in college.

YOU see a so-called "cry-closet" and a wimplocker. *I* see a beautiful dirty-tricks ambush just waiting for some deserving Snowflake to waltz right into it...

*evil, hungry-werewolf-about-to-eat-somebody grin*

Strange, I was in my late 40's early 50's when I was at Portland State University. I was caring for a wife on peritoneal dialysis and facing a transplant. (I still finished with a 3.55 Undergraduate GPA and a 3.22 Postgraduate GPA over a 6-year period. (The last two years I attended I knew that my Mary was terminally ill). No "cry rooms" for those of us that had the courage to "tough it out".

But, what do I know?
10 minutes is long enough to do a lot of things besides cry. Wonder what the "cry" room would really be used for.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top