JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
here is a crude 1/2 inch plate steel target I stirred up this afternoon. wondering what you think will completely penetrate this target, nothing special as far as I know. I am guessing that 90% of handguns will splat and bounce off. I also think that i 1644373172588.jpeg t will take a fairly stout centerfire rifle cartridge to get through, what do you guys think?

For safety sake, make sure you bullets do not crater the target. Armor plate of the right thickness will not crater.

Bullet ricocheting back towards the shooter, when shooting plates, is most often caused by cratered targets.

17hmr will crater soft steel.

1/2" thick soft steel will be fine for most pistol rounds.

I will add that 1/2" hardened steel AR500 starts to bend after 50,000 plus rounds of various everything. I imagine soft steel would too.

OP, do you have any idea as to the composition of the material it made out of? If not I'd surely start small and work up, don't want to return any Bullets towards the shooter.

here is a crude 1/2 inch plate steel target I stirred up this afternoon. wondering what you think will completely penetrate this target, nothing special as far as I know. I am guessing that 90% of handguns will splat and bounce off. I also think that iView attachment 1127385t will take a fairly stout centerfire rifle cartridge to get through, what do you guys think?
You may want to put the chain on the back and slightly bend that first link outward, may help get the angle of a dangle.

OP, do you have any idea as to the composition of the material it made out of? If not I'd surely start small and work up, don't want to return any Bullets towards the shooter.
nope, no idea. we have had a water feature bolted to it for the last 20 years or so. the water feature changed and the plate has been leaning against a tree for at least 5 years

going to give it a workout on Friday, several.22's, long guns, and handguns. no danger of penetrating. several 9mm's, again no danger of penetrating, .38 special, .327 federal, .357 magnum. I think that is it but one of the guys may have something bigger. going to be fun whatever happens.

You will want to angle it for sure. I made a heavy plate steel target once and hung it from a chain. When I shot it with a 9mm the bullet didn't have enough energy to move the plate and the bullet whizzed back over my head. I only shot it that one time and am glad to have survived.

From experience, a heavy solid copper bullet at 2300 plus FPS will punch a hole right through 1/2" AR500. Most every manufacture of AR500 targets advises against shooting any type of steel target with solid copper bullets. And the same goes for steel core bullets.

nope, no idea. we have had a water feature bolted to it for the last 20 years or so. the water feature changed and the plate has been leaning against a tree for at least 5 years
Wish you were closer, we could hang it in my backyard range and try it out. We've got several options for hanging it and testing different rounds. Really should be safe with your plan and watching out for signs of potential ricochets.

here is a crude 1/2 inch plate steel target I stirred up this afternoon. wondering what you think will completely penetrate this target, nothing special as far as I know. I am guessing that 90% of handguns will splat and bounce off. I also think that iView attachment 1127385t will take a fairly stout centerfire rifle cartridge to get through, what do you guys think?
Nice
I would stop shooting it with anything that causes a crater.
You might consider longer bolt for the chain as it will angle the target down and bullets will deflect down into the ground.
Something like this pic:
GongAngleS.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews