JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got an old crosman 760 (serial #281218012, manufacture date anyone?) that was my FILs and I guess to be at least 35 yrs old. Still have the box and it's in practically new condition. But, it won't maintain pressure. I'm sure it wasn't well maintained over the years. I'd like to find a local shop (Portland, Vancouver area) to have it repaired. Who's my best bet?
Thanx

If it has sentimental value may be best to just keep it as is. By not hold pressure I take it you mean it will pump up but then just loses the pressure? If that is the case the cost to try to repair it would most likely by more than it costs to just buy a new one. If no one knows of a local and you do want to get it serviced maybe look them up online and see if you can arrange to send it to them??

I've got an old crosman 760 (serial #281218012, manufacture date anyone?) that was my FILs and I guess to be at least 35 yrs old. Still have the box and it's in practically new condition. But, it won't maintain pressure. I'm sure it wasn't well maintained over the years. I'd like to find a local shop (Portland, Vancouver area) to have it repaired. Who's my best bet?
Thanx
Did you try just oiling it with something like sewing machine oil in the piston area? Open the pump lever all the way and see if you can see the piston and simply put some oil in there. When we were kids (about 45 yrs ago) this would usually do the trick. It's been a long long time and I dont have my sons here to look at anymore but pretty sure there was a spot or two to oil.

Just remember if ya have a bb gun war limit the jerk that has that to 5 pumps vs the old red Ryder type......DONT ASK!

EDIT: Read here page 5....... https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201589940/C760-OM1.pdf

Last Edited:
Thanx for the responses folks! Alexx, I'm sure you're absolutely right about the cost to repair vs cost to replace. And yes, it has some sentimental value, but not because of any great respect for my FIL. Upon his death, my MIL gifted me his hunting rifles, as well as the old Crosman. Not to either of her 2 sons, but to me. SHE is the salt of the earth kind of woman, and I'd not want her to think that I treated a gift as if it were a worthless old piece of junk.
Dead eye, I've applied pellgun oil to everything that I can access, and that looks like a reasonable location for lubricant. No positive results from that. I was just hopeful there would be a way to use a local resource or forum member to keep my $ closer to home. And I know from personal experience the wounds of bb gun wars in the hoylofts of the long gone barns. Perhaps there are some good YouTube videos that will show me how to solve the problem.
Thanx again

These are not difficult or expensive to reseal. Up until just a few years ago, Ollie Damon was our local go-to place to get airguns repaired. With them now closed up, I've found many other places online that provide the same service. But, having to pay postage both ways, it will certainly add to the cost.

I rationalize such things... It's only money. Pay up or go without.

I've got a 760 in a gun case somewhere in my garage that hasn't seen daylight for many years. Maybe decades. I ought to dig it out, and put a little oil in it, or I could find dry and unusable seals too.

I had an old Crossman Classic pistol pump I bought back when I was a teen a GI Joes, somehow it stayed with me for about 30 years. When I dug it out of the attic, it didnt hold air. I was torn between the nostalgia, sentiment... but the cost of repair was more than a new one.
So I decided to give it a try on my own. I took it apart... In classic teenage form but as an adult... a spring flew out that I never recovered, but it was for the safety... so now it was safetyless.... (perfect now that Im an adult right?). I didnt really do anything except see the inside, I oiled it put it back together and it worked... a couple times.... and then quickly the power went back to nil.... still didnt hold enough air at 10 pumps. Eventually I threw it away... sadly, and ceremoniously. Kinda like when your kid flushes his now dead pet goldfish down the toilet... except Im an adult now... fighting back the tears. Life is never the same without that old bb gun. And yes... I won a few bb gun wars with that.

Thanx for the responses folks! Alexx, I'm sure you're absolutely right about the cost to repair vs cost to replace. And yes, it has some sentimental value, but not because of any great respect for my FIL. Upon his death, my MIL gifted me his hunting rifles, as well as the old Crosman. Not to either of her 2 sons, but to me. SHE is the salt of the earth kind of woman, and I'd not want her to think that I treated a gift as if it were a worthless old piece of junk.
Dead eye, I've applied pellgun oil to everything that I can access, and that looks like a reasonable location for lubricant. No positive results from that. I was just hopeful there would be a way to use a local resource or forum member to keep my $ closer to home. And I know from personal experience the wounds of bb gun wars in the hoylofts of the long gone barns. Perhaps there are some good YouTube videos that will show me how to solve the problem.
Thanx again

Last Edited:
You've all been a wealth of information. I followed quneur's link and found a possible repair source in portlandia. I'll let you know if it pans out.
Thanx

Easy peasy. Rebuild kits are around. Just have to ensure you get the right one. You can't always rely on the model # since there are variations. I would takt it apart first so you can visually confirm if a kit is a match to what you have or not. The other option is to part it, but that usually takes more time, you need to know what you're looking for and will likely run you a pretty penny more. Since you'll have it apart anyway, it's usually simpler to just replace all the guts at once. That also ensures that all parts will fit and function together properly.

As mentioned, the cost of a gunsmith will land you North of what it's worth and a MFG service repair center won't be a whole lot better. You can't even ship it for what it costs for a repair kit.

You do want a good silicone lubricant on the seals. Petroleum based are for lubrication and some can damage some types of o-rings. Silicone seals/lubes. I've never used the mfg brand, but it's certainly cheap and an air rife requires only a tiny amount.

Last Edited:
Maybe another good reason to not buy new? I think I was able to establish a date of manufacture. According to serial#, it was manufactured in February of 1981.

Well, 2 attempts to reach local airgun repair shops and no response from either one. Now that the holidays have passed, maybe I'll get someone to reply. If they spent as much as we did this Christmas season, I'm pretty sure they could use the money.

Well, 2 attempts to reach local airgun repair shops and no response from either one. Now that the holidays have passed, maybe I'll get someone to reply. If they spent as much as we did this Christmas season, I'm pretty sure they could use the money.
I would still go the self repair route with a kit. It's cheap, convenient, easy and would save a lot of undue effort trying to go through a gunsmith. Just dropping it off at a gunsmith will cost you more than a rebuild kit... not even factoring in any work they might do.

To each their own, but such as it is. :s0155:

I think you (and others here) have convinced me to go that route. I'd hoped to get my 7 yr old granddaughter some trigger time with it, sooner rather than later. Sorta thought the shop route would save me some time. Clearly, that's not the case. Thanx for the help folks.

I used to rebuild and customize paintball guns. I'd take it apart and see if I can find matching O-rings and replace them all, then re-oil it and see if it works. There are standard sizes for O-rings, you just need to get the right diameter and cross section sizes. The black O-rings are either neoprene or Viton. The lighter colored ones are probably nylon.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews