JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have ditched the idea of buying a 22-250, I have decided to use a Gun I have already, I want to reload some rounds that will be very accurate and fast for coyote hunting, I have chose a Savage 110 .270, I have done a Little research and found that loaded properly the Sierra Varminter 90 gr Bullets will get me in the 3000 fps, With that, I am a Rookie at reloading, My wifes grandpa has a Die, Brass, and Primers, Would like some input, What do you guys think a Good Coyote round would be and Grain, As Always thats for the Good Knowlege, Cory

Howdy Cory,
Good for you! Unless you are a pelt hunter, your Savage .270 will work just peachy on songdogs. In fact, you will almost eliminate the very frequent occurrence of a coyote taking a good hit with a .22 centerfire, and disappearing over the nearest hill in high gear. 59 grains of IMR4350 behind a Sierra 90g hollowpoint should put you very near 3400fps! (Much better than you anticipated, and a load that is below maximum) It will also arrive with very nearly twice the energy of a .22-250 load. Spank those dogs and tell 'em to lay down and stay! Good Dog!

I gather you are not collecting the hides. I use to call them for hides. I had a nice .270 that I though, "what the heck" so I loaded up some 90 gr hp and well, they are too explosives. Prairie dogs, well let's say, vaporizing is part of the fun. I guess it depends on what you are killing them for.

.22LR or 20 gauge is good medicine.

I don't plan on keeping the pelts, I have a savage bsev. 22 mag spiritless fluted bull for the ones that make it in to close, I found hornady makes a new varmint raound in 30 grain with a red ballistic tip, should be a great combo, but as we all know in Christmas valley and paisley area its not uncommonfor the dogs to be out 4 to 500 hundred yards, I apprenciate the info and will be on he hunt for the powder recommendedand place my order for the 90 gr sierras at bi-mart, as always I appenciate the knowledge. Cory

I have not got a chance to use my .270 on any dogs yet, but when I do I'll be running a Sierra 90g hollow point pushed by 56.6 grains of IMR 4831. I don't know what kind of velocity they are running, but they sure make a nice clover leaf @ 100 yards.

If you are shooting under 200yds in the wind, a 90gr is fine. Over that I find in stiff breezes they are a little flighty. I use a 100gr HP in front of 59 grains of imr 4350, which gives you 3254fps at the muzzle. seems to work...but don't plan on using the pelt!!! OBTW that same load is a great sage rat "mister". :s0114:

Izzy has touched on something that bears mentioning: The 90g Sierra seems to shoot extremely well in just about any .270 worth its salt. More than once, when accurizing a .270, I will load up some of those bullets to see just exactly what the gun is capable of. Then, knowing the gun CAN shoot, the more difficult search is on for a big game bullet that it prefers. And, Izzy, your demonstrably accurate chosen load should not be relinquished for speed, but is probably only loping along at 3100fps or so. You've got lots of room to go: approaching the 3400 mark with 61g of your powder (IMR4831).

The rifle I chose for this particular load is my Interarms Mark X. It is very accurate, but did not like the 90gr bullets at the higher velocities It took me around 300 rounds to work up the right combination of powder, powder weight & proper bullet seating in this rifle. It may not be the "fastest", but it's hitting it's mark.

The Interarms Mauser rifles are frequently overlooked as a quality gun. Fine finish work, and I have never played with one that did not shoot very well. My very first .270 was what can be considered a predecessor to the Interarms: A Parker-Hale on the commercial Mauser action. It taught me the majority of what I know about the .270 cartridge, and most important, that wonderful accuracy is easily attainable. When I see an Interarms (or Parker-Hale) at a gun show, it always makes me stop and look. Even the long-stock "Mannlicher" versions shoot nicely (despite what some may say about that stock design being detrimental to good accuracy), and Interarms did an excellent job with that design. The bluing on those Interarms guns rivals what some guys pay dearly to get with a custom blue job, and the actions are unquestionably durable and reliable. A great gun all around, and quite a bargain for the finish that is rarely seen on an American rifle.

Here it is.

DSCF1139.jpg

She's a peach! Now how did I know you had a Mannlicher version? Scope appears to be mounted correctly, too, with minimal daylight under the objective. One of the things that bugs me to no end is when watching a hunting show, the hero (purportedly an "expert") has his scope mounted in such a fashion that it looks like the Golden Gate Bridge over San Francisco bay. I would have to say that if I saw your rifle on a gun-show table, there'd be a quick retirement to semi-privacy while I counted the contents of my wallet. Apologies to the OP: what was a discussion of .270 predator loads has been hijacked to become a discussion of very pretty .270's. (Or at least one.)

The funny thing about varmint hunters,that I have learned from some of the varmint forums,is they set up a gun to shoot 2346 yards,then they call the damn animals into about 100yards or less.

And thanks for the thread.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads