JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would much rather see a video like this and he is shooting full power loads, It would be much much more realistic! Every every single shot, even with the scatter gun didn't have any recoil!

Your right with the lever gun. But I did see good recoil into his shoulder with the 12 gauge.

I can. Using an AR-10 with open sights, a 1911, and a Winchester 1300. It's cute, but anyone who's shot 3 gun will tell you, it's not super impressive.

Besides, they have mandatory aliases.

Remember I said most. I know there are guys and gals that flat rock three gun but I also know that none of the guns in video were not semi auto so you have a little bit of an advantage.;)

Just Sayin :D

Different Strokes... a? ;)
I used to shoot single action, but I don't like big hats and boots hurt my feet.o_O
Then I shot .50 cal muzzle loader and cap 'n ball for a while..Ever spend a hot day dressed in cow hide.:eek:
Now I shoot my Leggo-Block black rifles, but I only wear "Cammo" during turkey season.:rolleyes:
If I want to "Roll Play" for a while, I go to my den and shoot bad guys on my computer. :cool: :D:p

From what I have seen at those shoots it's as much about dressing up like a cowboy as being a fast shooter
But they do have fun

It's a social event, involving folks who like guns and draws in the Ladies as well. SCA stuff is similar. Period History, stylized combat and costume.
That said I've seen guys that can barely walk without a cane enjoy this sport. They aren't in it for the speed competitions

Well, I don't know much about real deal cowboy guns or shooting, but I do enjoy watching folks that can shoot fast and accurate. I don't think it would be for me, but yes, fun to watch.

Eventually the competitors moved in and CAS became IPSIC with a different dress code. Rule book is much bigger now

Same thing happened with IDPA. At first it was primarily about learning Self Defense skills. Even the mission statement says that. However USPSA shooters have moved in and things over the last few years have been changing.

"Do your shooting how they shot 'em back in the day"
Why? we're not back in the day. This IS tomorrow's 'back in the day'.

"And there ain't no target big enough or close enough you can't miss it"

My own SASS career lasted from about 1994 until about 2010.
Had lots of fun, saw lots of changes, endured the intrusion of the 'gamers' take over and the large crowds of costumed Grade B cowboy movie groupies.

Yes the focus changed and my own interest at long last finally wanned.

However, along with it, the basic satisfaction of learning just what the potential of those antique single action guns had, and just how well I could learn to use them, was considerable.

For me the game became one of being either a competitor or a participant.

While I stayed for years at the bottom of the score card, I learned a lot about historic firearms, patent law, ballistics, reloading, actual history of the West, trade routes, firearm design, social interaction in the Old West, and how to have a good time as well, along with wearing a funny hat that was my norm anyway.

Increased study, practice and attention to details of the mechanics of both the guns and my own physiological performance, raised my general scores into about the middle of the match. I got to the point where I was shooting a match in literally 30% of the time from a few years before, yet no closer to being in the 'top 10'. Not that such was the goal. I came to realize my discomfort, other than having to admit I was 'participant' level even at my very fastest score, arose from a basic reality.

Plus I had excuse to buy more guns I never considered before.

Not a bubblegum for sure, just I realized my own notion of fun at the range, had been commandeered by spotters who would tell me what targets I missed and what procedural errors I had committed. That a steely-eyed guy with a stop watch would tell within .01 sec how long it took me to miss was also on hand.

And....I really didn't like crowds anyway. Whatever the social aspects might be of benefit, I came to realize I'd rather go to the range & shoot a few hundred rounds in a limited time frame, and not take all day standing around waiting. I can still admire those who I used to posse with, that showed me so many fun things.

I do miss matches with such unexpected lessons, as in the cap n'ball shooter who could reload new cylinders faster than I could my cartridge SAA. Or his tricks with a Spencer 50-50 on the same course as a 10 shot lever carbine. Or any number of other things.

Strong categories and rules proliferating were devised to try to allow ever larger groups with more diffuse ideas (not unlike modern society) produced growing membership and longer lines with longer wait times. It got too long between my own shooting opportunities to stand around out in the weather, and 'geezeritis' took over.

Glad I did it. Glad I learned how to make a 73 run like it should. And my days with the Holy Black were fun as well.
Cheers to all.

Last Edited:
41Mag,
I like to shoot my original guns in a style and manner like how they were originally used.
Not a speed shoot , not with a 20th / 21st century" fix or mod" on my guns or shooting style...
But how They were actually shot, carried and used...

I am historically minded....And I think that too many historical facts can get lost when you shoot like the guy in the OP.
Or even worse have folks walk away with the idea of that's how they shot in the 19th century.
That said ... Just 'cause I don't like it , doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it or enjoy it.

( responding to you , 'cause you quoted me ... not wanting to cause a fuss )

Glad you had fun as a SASS shooter ... but to each his own.
Andy

Last Edited:
"... not wanting to cause a fuss )
Glad you had fun as a SASS shooter ... but to each his own"

Understand, no problem.

Maybe I got a little nostalgic....
cheers

I would much rather see a video like this and he is shooting full power loads, It would be much much more realistic! Every every single shot, even with the scatter gun didn't have any recoil!

Minimum rifle caliber for Cowboy Action Shooting is only .32 So some shooters have been going with real low powered loads in rifles chambered in either .32 H&R, or .32-20. We are talking 90 grs at 750 fps and 115 gr at 800 fps. You are really going to get miniscule recoil in a rifle from such ammo

A great many also shoot using low powered 38 Special target ammo, which also generates very little recoil.

Since speed is so key to Cowboy Action Shooting, it is sort of silly to shoot a rifle in something like 44-40, 44 Special, or 45 Colt, in my opinion.

"ridiculously close the targets were, even for the rifle. I would be nervous shooting at steel that close."

agree very close; very soft lead & low velocities help. Most spatter I ever got though was from shot gun pellets. Amazing how they can fly curved trajectories right to the back of the posse, hitting ME in the ear lobe....

There were considerable percentage of cowboy shooters using full loads of regular calibers, as a matter of principle. And a small but dedicate percentage using truly antique firearms. Many of the Holy Black advocates used guns from pre 1900. as well.

Oddly enough, those generally weren't in the 'top 5' but they did have their own categories to make head-to-head competition.

Your observation that speed/accuracy/historical reality are not exactly closely connected is correct.

Still, the categories were intended to keep those who wanted to make their focus on gamer-style competition vs the rest of us, less an issue than may seem.

The 3 or 4 categories when I started, morphed into over a dozen within a few years.
Each had its own rules for types of equipment/costume/style of firing: 1 hand, both hands, 1 in each hand, etc. Amazing the variety with ample participants of all persuasion.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top