JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well if he was using a gun , holster and shooting techniques that say John Wesley Hardin , Frank North , "Wild Bill Hickok" and others used ... Then I might interested.
I just don't get shooting a 19th century gun that has been tricked out in a 20th /21st century way or modified in a modern way , not 19th century way ...
Or in a style that was never used while back in the day.

That said , if you enjoy this type of shooting... then have fun and shoot well.
Andy

Well if he was using a gun , holster and shooting techniques that say John Wesley Hardin , Frank North , "Wild Bill Hickok" and others used ... Then I might interested.
I just don't get shooting a 19th century gun that has been tricked out in a 20th /21st century way or modified in a modern way , not 19th century way ...
Or in a style that was never used while back in the day.

That said , if you enjoy this type of shooting... then have fun and shoot well.
Andy

Yes but Andy guns were tricked out back in the day Trigger guards were cut away locks were fine tuned internals were polished. Granted maybe not to the level they are now. But then the average cowboy wasn't pushing 300lbs either LOL

That is impressive no matter how you look at it. I'm pretty sure most can't do that with there AR let alone a six shooter and a lever action.

He has talent, real talent. Don't know if he worked untold hours to get that way or if he was one of the lucky ones. I have seen a few and known a few who were REALLY good. The ones I have known just got it genetics. Not that they did not work on it but they just had some built in talent. As often happens with people like this they sometimes have trouble understanding everyone is not like them. As they would get older most would learn to understand it. Not everyone can do like they do no matter what. Kind of like athletes.

Yep I do know guns were worked over then...
But your quote was / is my point.
Do your shooting how they shot 'em back in the day ... then I'll be interested.
If not ... then have fun ... but its not for me.

Luckily we are not limited to what or how I shoot... :)
Andy
From what I have seen at those shoots it's as much about dressing up like a cowboy as being a fast shooter
But they do have fun

Does anyone remember that old cartoon where the Bandito pulls out his six guns and while he is holding
the triggers down, empty's are flying out to the sides while the crossed belts on his chest are turning.:rolleyes:
I liked that one better than the "Granny Goose", Wazen the bag gooze?:eek:
But then, I'm an old guy.....:(

CAS was started by a group of guys trying to get away from the competitive aspects of IPSIC. Like so many shooting sports that started out trying to be fun, there weren't a lot of rules. No power factors, equipment restrictions etc. They figured they didn't need the rules because everybody was just out to have fun. Eventually the competitors moved in and CAS became IPSIC with a different dress code. Rule book is much bigger now, mostly trying to limit the race to the ridiculous (short stroked rifles and pistols, power factor, sight restrictions, etc.). A lot of the fun stuff is gone (remember shooting snakes with the shotgun?) and it's pretty formulaic and rote, geared to shooting as fast as possible. Heaven help the stage designer that tries something different. Gave up when they actually had to implement a minimum smoke standard for the BP classes because people were creating BP loads that didn't make any smoke.

If you're looking for a group that shoots but tries to keep it more historical in nature NCOWS is that group. Unfortunately, their aren't any PNW groups. Welcome to NCOWS

That's bad a$$ when I was sixteen I lived in Cooke City Montana with my uncle who owned a Lodge hotel there and we had a guy come and stay there him and his wife and he was a trick shooter I guess you would say western style he put on a show I think it was 4th July any way he did some amazing shots I got pics some where of him quick draw shooting balloons out of my sisters hands lol he used wax bullets for that but any I know he died a few years ago but it was pretty cool how he could get that six shooter smoking

I have no interest in Cowboy Shooting, but I sure enjoy watching them! They have so much FUN!
Anyone that finds a way to get more enjoyment out of shooting, more power to them! :)

I have no interest in Cowboy Shooting, but I sure enjoy watching them! They have so much FUN!
Anyone that finds a way to get more enjoyment out of shooting, more power to them! :)
I love how they dress the part it wouldn't be cool to see a guy wearing a plate carrier and a tac helmet shooting a old colt .45 but then again that would be funny

I would much rather see a video like this and he is shooting full power loads, It would be much much more realistic! Every every single shot, even with the scatter gun didn't have any recoil!

That is impressive no matter how you look at it. I'm pretty sure most can't do that with there AR let alone a six shooter and a lever action.
I can. Using an AR-10 with open sights, a 1911, and a Winchester 1300. It's cute, but anyone who's shot 3 gun will tell you, it's not super impressive.

Besides, they have mandatory aliases.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR