JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice video. If I remember correctly, Switzerland also interned a number of airmen. Most were crews on damaged bombers that landed instead of being captured by the Axis.

Too bad it was a short film, good stuff.

Bet than 109 was flying on fumes.

Yea I was wondering about the rather extreme range it would have taken to get over Ireland have a dog fight and have any expectations of making it back to France.

In a straight line Cain France to Dublin Ireland is 384 miles lets say the two closest possible points between southern Ireland and France were the point A and point B and use 350 miles as the straight line. The BF-109E Most likely variant early in the war. Had a range of approx.620 miles with a drop tank. So as you point out Bigfoot for a ME-109E or later to get to Ireland be involved in a dog fight and ever have any chance of making it back to mainland Europe is highly unlikely. It is reported a number of places on line that the BF-109 only had the range and fuel reserves for about 15 mins of combat over Southern England (which is a LONG ways from Southern Ireland)

Russia also interned American Airmen. Including at least one crew from the Dolittle Raid on Japan.

Now it is a known fact that German Bomber crews were interned in Ireland as well as Sailors and Submariniers

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top