JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice video. If I remember correctly, Switzerland also interned a number of airmen. Most were crews on damaged bombers that landed instead of being captured by the Axis.

Too bad it was a short film, good stuff.

Bet than 109 was flying on fumes.

Yea I was wondering about the rather extreme range it would have taken to get over Ireland have a dog fight and have any expectations of making it back to France.

In a straight line Cain France to Dublin Ireland is 384 miles lets say the two closest possible points between southern Ireland and France were the point A and point B and use 350 miles as the straight line. The BF-109E Most likely variant early in the war. Had a range of approx.620 miles with a drop tank. So as you point out Bigfoot for a ME-109E or later to get to Ireland be involved in a dog fight and ever have any chance of making it back to mainland Europe is highly unlikely. It is reported a number of places on line that the BF-109 only had the range and fuel reserves for about 15 mins of combat over Southern England (which is a LONG ways from Southern Ireland)

Russia also interned American Airmen. Including at least one crew from the Dolittle Raid on Japan.

Now it is a known fact that German Bomber crews were interned in Ireland as well as Sailors and Submariniers

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top