Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Cool WWII Aviation Short film

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mark W., Feb 19, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This short film addresses a part of WWII aviation not given much time in the movies

The German

jerman1964, rufus, jbett98 and 5 others like this.
  2. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

That was very well done, thanks for sharing.

3. jerman1964

jerman1964 Sherwood, OR Member

yeah, what rufus said. thanks.

4. BANE

BANE Battle Ground WA. Well-Known Member

Very nice! Thanks!

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Too bad it was a short film, good stuff.

Bet than 109 was flying on fumes.

6. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Nice video. If I remember correctly, Switzerland also interned a number of airmen. Most were crews on damaged bombers that landed instead of being captured by the Axis.

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yea I was wondering about the rather extreme range it would have taken to get over Ireland have a dog fight and have any expectations of making it back to France.

In a straight line Cain France to Dublin Ireland is 384 miles lets say the two closest possible points between southern Ireland and France were the point A and point B and use 350 miles as the straight line. The BF-109E Most likely variant early in the war. Had a range of approx.620 miles with a drop tank. So as you point out Bigfoot for a ME-109E or later to get to Ireland be involved in a dog fight and ever have any chance of making it back to mainland Europe is highly unlikely. It is reported a number of places on line that the BF-109 only had the range and fuel reserves for about 15 mins of combat over Southern England (which is a LONG ways from Southern Ireland)

Russia also interned American Airmen. Including at least one crew from the Dolittle Raid on Japan.

Now it is a known fact that German Bomber crews were interned in Ireland as well as Sailors and Submariniers

8. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Learn something new everday. I didn't realize Ireland was neutral during WW2.