JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can get programs that will write and rewrite over and over again to try and mask your original data.

A sledge hammer or .357 mag is my prefered method.

I've not heard of useing an oven to heat one. I have seen home made electron magnics used.

I think even after a fire, a good forensics guy can retrieve data from a drive.
I like to beat them to heck with a sledge hammer. Then recycle the whole mess.

Hmm. 12 gauge... better not. Torch sounds good maybe then the sledge hammer. Its too hot for the woodstove. Maybe I'll try the magnet thing and run it through the rest and call it good.

I usually take them apart and pull the platters out of them. I also pull the big giant magnet out of them as well, get them close enough together and you're data is scrambled. Since I am a bit paranoid, I will then cut the platter into piece and dispose of it in a few different weeks worth of garbage.

Before I get goin, this is the hard drive thingy ?

IMG_0142_zps3hzq5j7r.jpg

Yeah it's hard to make it bad enough you can't get info from it.
I never give away or throw away my old phones or computers.
And even scarier copy machines! They have hard drives too!

Usually a magnet big enough will scramble it.
We used to take big subwoofers with 8" round 3" thick magnets and do some damage to computers.

Just smash with a sledge hammer. Once the seal breaks on the case that holds the platters your pretty well safe. Even better smash it a few times to make sure the platters are physically damaged or warped. At that point practically nothing could extract the data.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top