JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Think I got it. Stuck right on a big speaker magnet and then hammered it. I'll sleep well tonight.

Thanks!!!

IMG_0144_zpsevndfgbn.jpg

You really didn't want the senate's investigator's getting those emails didja? Or was your wife trying to find your, ahem, girly pix and you chose the nuclear option for their erasure? :D

How hot to destroy a hard drive?
Platter is encased in an aluminum vault, sealed with an O ring and screws
It's not enough to melt the aluminum, because the platter survives.
Like Taku suggests, a cutting torch might be the way to go.

One friend's daughter parked her car next to the house.
During the night, the car caught fire, half the house burned.
The family PC was near the wall next to the car.
I went through the house wreckage and found the PC.
All outer plastic, wiring, connectors, cards, motherboard were destroyed.
The Hard drive looked toasty, but what the hay, I brought it home.
Managed to coax power and data cables into the sockets and turned it on.
The motor screeched but the drive booted my PC, and I was able to copy the disk.
Shut the poor thing down. Recovered friend's family photos, etc to CD.
She keeps that hard drive on the mantle as a memento of the fire.

How hot to destroy a hard drive?
Platter is encased in an aluminum vault, sealed with an O ring and screws
It's not enough to melt the aluminum, because the platter survives.
Like Taku suggests, a cutting torch might be the way to go.

One friend's daughter parked her car next to the house.
During the night, the car caught fire, half the house burned.
The family PC was near the wall next to the car.
I went through the house wreckage and found the PC.
All outer plastic, wiring, connectors, cards, motherboard were destroyed.
The Hard drive looked toasty, but what the hay, I brought it home.
Managed to coax power and data cables into the sockets and turned it on.
The motor screeched but the drive booted my PC, and I was able to copy the disk.
Shut the poor thing down. Recovered friend's family photos, etc to CD.
She keeps that hard drive on the mantle as a memento of the fire.
YdyIO.gif

lol

You really didn't want the senate's investigator's getting those emails didja? Or was your wife trying to find your, ahem, girly pix and you chose the nuclear option for their erasure? :D

I think I had my phone number and address in there.:p
I don't know how much of your online banking would be on there but I wasn't taking any chances.

I take them apart and use the magnets on the fridge. The platters all come out and I toss them, I have tried them out as signalling mirrors but they are more fragile than the $4 metal ones at Bi-Mart

I usually take them apart and pull the platters out of them. I also pull the big giant magnet out of them as well, get them close enough together and you're data is scrambled. Since I am a bit paranoid, I will then cut the platter into piece and dispose of it in a few different weeks worth of garbage.
Those magnets work great stuck on the drill press bed to catch all of the shavings, or attached to the drain plug of the car/truck. Pretty much have to pry them off with a screwdriver.

I generally drill them after doing a DOD wipe, which probably isn't needed after a few holes, and being tossed on the ground repeatedly.:eek:

Typically, people underestimate the capability of government agencies (like the FBI) to recover data from a hard drive.

They underestimate because they think deleting a file from the recycle bin makes it unrecoverable. It does not, as the recycle bin only removes the path to the file, not the file itself. People also think something like reinstalling Windows will delete the data, but again the data is still on the hard drive unless the new copy of Windows is wrote over it, and even then it may be recoverable.

On the other hand, I find it very hard to believe someone like the FBI could recover data from a physically destroyed hard drive, especially if a multi pass wipe was performed before destruction.

I helped my friend destroy two hard drives when he sold his computer several years ago. My method was as follows:

1) A 7 pass wipe using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN). I'm sure there are other programs that do the same thing.
2) Drilled 3 holes through each hard drive.
3) Used a flower pot with thermite (easy to get/make) to burn a hole through both hard drives. This step was more for the fun, as I doubt anyone could have recovered it after step two - but I highly recommend this step for the fun factor.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top