JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Kids,

I have noticed a couple of 'converted' Saiga type rifles in the Classified section, and have heard of them otherwise.

My question is: What are SAIGAS "converted" to, and what are they "converted" from?

What kind of work is involved? Does the "conversion" make them better than stock, or what?

Bye Kids!

I just bought a converted saiga.

SaigaDone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's more then just a stock set swap out. To legally use you must make them 922R compliant.

Right, what Ogre said. You have to remove the old trigger guard, to move up the pistol grip. And to feed from standard AK mags, you have to add a feed ramp, and alter the mag latch. That takes it out of specs for an imported semi auto rifle, so you have to replace a bunch of parts with US made parts, for 922r rules.

There is a supporting vendor Stoner arms, that does a lot of that kind of work. He might know more.

x2 talk to nbr. I got one from his group buys and did some home work and turned out ok.

zombie008.jpg

Mainly going from sporting import to the way it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a saiga iz-240/ak74 TAPCOed out. Out
PHP:
the box i was able to use normal ak74 mil. Spec. FULL cap. Mags. There is a differenche in the saiga 10 rnd mag and factory ak 74 30 rnd. Mag but as far as i know the saiga iz-240 is the only saiga rifle that doesn't need a ramp or bullet guide. If you don't use a bullet ramp/guide, once in a while you can have a FTF so i will fab something for my saiga 74 and make it more reliable. I just don't wanna drill into my rifle and install a bullet guide. Another thing is that the saiga rifles don't have threaded barrels so putting on a muzzle break is not an option unless you get a DPH muzzle break with an attachment pice that goes over your front sight housing deal so you can screw on the aftermarket muzzle break.

Another thing is that the saiga rifles don't have threaded barrels so putting on a muzzle break is not an option unless you get a DPH muzzle break with an attachment pice that goes over your front sight housing deal so you can screw on the aftermarket muzzle break.

That's not entirely true. Over on the Saiga forums several people with the 7.62x39 Saigas have found that under their shroud is a threaded barrel. The Saigas with threaded barrels seem to have military barrels not civilian barrels. Apparently someone found that their '09, 7.62x39, with receiver dimples, no barrel stepping, a PG hole, and handguard notches on the barrel also came with a threaded barrel (under the shroud). Stepped barrels are civilian barrels (they leave a crimp-like indent on spent casings indicating they're of civilian manufacture. Military barrels aren't stepped hence no crimp

The only way to find out is to cut the shroud, of course, but at least some Saigas do come with a threaded barrel.

Saiga forum thread for reference

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have purchased the 7.62x39 Saiga.. I put WAY too much $$ into it, when really I could have purchased a higher-end AKM. but if I did it all cheap. (Tapcorizing) then I guess I'd just have a crappy Tapco furniture Saiga.
Not to dog on all the Tapco lovers, I like K-var, ACE and Ergo.

As for all the other Izmash "Saiga" calibers, of course they are all worth it!

TAPCO is alright..... made in USA and decent.... things could be cheaper but tapco sure beats the cheap crap furnature you get when you buy a factory saiga. I really liked tapco's customer service. I was missing some nuts and bolts and I contacted them and they got right back to me and I ended up getting a free hat. I too love ARSENALs but I had a budget and if I had got the arsenal I be spending too much. So I got the saiga and had some money left to buy ammoand since I have a 5.45x39 cal. rifle, I can get 1080 rnds of mil. Surp. ammo for $120 and it is a sealed spam can. I used to pay like $150 for 500 rnds for 7.62x39 for my SKS.

Yeah, some of the 20-round drums are down to $120 (from $300+). I'm going to buy a few, if for no other reason to put some away in the event of a future hi-cap ban.

Technically, this firearm is in the same 'evil' category as the SPAS-12, streetsweepers, etc. Considering that I also happen to be white, middle class, AND a veteran, I am most assuredly at the top of someone's Bad Boy list by now.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads