JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the process of converting a Ruger Mark 2 pistol into a carbine. I have a 16.5" barrel coming from Clark custom gunsmithing and I am going to make the buttstock myself. I have a couple of ideas for the buttstock one being to attach it to the receiver, the other being to attach it to the grip frame. What do you guys think would be the more comfortable/ergononmic attachment point? Also I am kinda paranoid about attaching the buttstock to the grip frame and possibly getting into the potential SBR realm since it could then be attached to a regular pistol upper creating a SBR. I have zero interest in going through the process and getting the stamp for an SBR. I only intend on this being a carbine rifle configuration weapon.

I think it would look better and feel better if the stock were attached at the grip frame, but am concerned about potential red flags by attaching it there. I also like the ability to have a sort of "break down" gun by removing the grip frame (stock attached) and the upper barreled assembly for compact storage and portability.

Thoughts????

Have been really contemplating this exact same thing, only making the barrel myself and extending the reciever reward to make the stock. Great minds do think alike. Please let us see the project in process if you wouldn't mind.

If you have all the parts for a legal configuration it is easily proved that you only intend to use it in legal ways. As long as you never have a short barrel and stock on at the same time you are 100% legal.

This is no different then all the people that own AR-15 rifles and pistols.

On the Ruger Mark II's the "gun" portion of the firearm is the upper, so you can play around with the grip frame and stock all you want and it will never be an SBR. Also, where are you working, do you invite the ATF into your home often? Not saying it's legal, but who's going to know. Regardless, stock on the grip frame is not an SBR.

DS I understand what you are tying to say. Even on a "pistol" where the frame/grip is the Gun you could attach a stock anytime you like as long as there is no barrel on. To legally be an SBR it HAS to have a stock AND barrel with less then 16" in length or an OAL of less then 26".

Ok, I've decided to attach the buttstock to the grip frame. Materials I am thinking of using are wood (walnut), ABS plastic, or a combination of the two for construction of the stock. I am thinking about making a set of grips out of the ABS plastic that extend past the rear portion of the grip frame and then attach to the wood portion of the more traditional looking buttstock. This is really hard to describe, I think I'm going to have to mock something up and post a picture, then get some input from you guys. I'll see what I can come up with over the next few days after I gather up some construction materials....

How is that any different than taking a remington XP100 action and making a rifle out of it. Or taking a ruger 10/22 cutting the barrel down and putting it in a charger stock.

How is that any different than taking a remington XP100 action and making a rifle out of it. Or taking a ruger 10/22 cutting the barrel down and putting it in a charger stock.

Those would be NFA violations.....putting a 16"+ barrel on a pistol then adding a stock is fine, but cutting down a rifle and putting it in a pistol stock isn't. Welcome to the absurdity.

You said those. But I think you mean one. How is taking a XP100 and making a rifle out of it any different than what the OP is doing. And my post of the Buck Mark was only a idea of how the OP might convert his own project . As Browning has done this very well.

John

You said those. But I think you mean one. How is taking a XP100 and making a rifle out of it any different than what the OP is doing. And my post of the Buck Mark was only a idea of how the OP might convert his own project . As Browning has done this very well.

John

Well, if you put a 16" barrel on the XP100 first, there wouldn't be anything different.....simplest way to put it: once a rifle, ALWAYS a rifle. Pistol can be converted to rifle and back. ( although, people will argue this )

As long as you don't have it in a "violation" form ( pistol with <16" barrel and a stock ), you'd be fine.

The Browning Buckmark rifle is constructed differently in it's frame and barrel interface so that a Buckmark pistol barrel can not be attached to a Buckmark rifle frame and/or vice versa. I thought about the Buckmark rifle and I do like the looks of it, but the ergonomics of it is what prevented me from getting one of those. I can't reach the magazine release or the slide stop with my shooting hand due to the buttstock extension framework impeding my reach. One of the ideas I have for building the buttstock for the Mark II is to build grip panels that extend rearward from the bottom portion of the grip frame and attach into the buttstock. The upper portion of the grip frame will remain open giving the buttstock an Anschutz like appearance. This should allow me to reach the slide stop with my shooting hand, and of course the magazine release on the Mark II is on the bottom of the frame so this is not an issue. I also looked at the Beretta Neos carbine conversion unit and it is more ergonomincally friendly, but I just think it is to Star Trekky looking.

Waiting on my new barrel from Clark Custom Guns in Louisiana, should be here in a few weeks! I am having them install it onto my reciever also. I ordered it 16 1/2" with the full bull profile threaded at the muzzle for my suppressor. Still working out ideas on the construction of the butt stock. It's been to cold to get out in the garage and start tinkering with it though... I am sure I'll be more motivated to start on the stock when the barreled action arrives back from Clark!

There is a commercial version of conversion with a wire buttstock (I'll try to insert a copy of a pic):

7a000130.jpg

They aren't cheap, but I'm guessing neither was having Clark Custom make and install a barrel for you.

The wire stock has stops on it to keep it from collapsing to less than 26". I guess in some areas where they measure the overall length differently, the stops can be removed to allow it to collapse to even a smaller package.

7a000130.jpg

There is a commercial version of conversion with a wire buttstock (I'll try to insert a copy of a pic):

View attachment 53472

They aren't cheap, but I'm guessing neither was having Clark Custom make and install a barrel for you.

The wire stock has stops on it to keep it from collapsing to less than 26". I guess in some areas where they measure the overall length differently, the stops can be removed to allow it to collapse to even a smaller package.

I have seen that conversion unit and considered it for a while. Ultimately I just didn't like the "tactical" look it has and wanted something a little more traditional lookinig. The wire stock looks uncomfortable as well, I bet it is really cold on your cheek too. The cost on the Clark Custom barrel and installation is pretty spendy, it's up around $500 right now, but what else am I going to do with the money? When you get that itch for a custom gun, it just has to be scratched...

You could have bought some steel tubing with the same ID/OD as the receiver and made a dedicated extended receiver - tap for the barrel, cut/file ejection port and bottom to match original receiver, buy replacement ejector and rivet in place, on the back of the receiver where it is notched for the bolt just leave the section below the bolt longer for an attachment point for the stock. The hard part being the dove tail for the rear sight

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top