JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Plus a fair bit of cash, of course. So am I crazy? Wasn't really looking for a 10mm, although it's always intrigued me. I've owned several .45's over the years, but never a 10. Been telling myself I don't need something that powerful, nor do I really want to add another cartridge to the reloading line-up, but sometimes it feels like the universe is trying to tell me something :rolleyes:.

So I really don't know much of anything about the 10mm from a shooter's perspective. Gun in question is the Witness Steel full size, Wonder Finish, 2021 manuf. date code, and per the owner, only 100 rounds through it. I'm assuming that being a late model gun, they've long since fixed any possible issues with frame or slide cracking that plagued the earlier models. Reviews look good, and I have owned a Tanfo 9mm, plus several CZ's, so I'm familiar with the platform in general. Truth is, the only reason for the trade is I'm bored with the .45 and I'm looking for something new :oops:. Would appreciate hearing from other 10mm owners, especially if your 10 is a Tanfo. Later.

Dave

10mm is my favorite handgun cartridge. Though, I think it really needs to be hand loaded to realize it's benefits (if you're on a budget.) Load it down to .40sw levels for fun plinking/soft shooting and then load it hot to true .357mag levels.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Witness. They are great guns that are way past their earlier frame issues. As far as the trade goes, as long as you're getting a square deal, I'd go for it. If it turns out to be not your cup of tea, you can always sell/trade it down the road.

Had a witness compact in 10mm. It had heavy recoil, but was a great gun otherwise. Mine was an older model, but after hundreds of rounds, I stopped worrying about slide crack. I sold it after purchasing a Ruger SR1911-10mm. That gun is balls-on accurate and now my hunting side-arm.
I shot the Ruger side-by-side with a friend's G40-MOS, and the G40 handled recoil much better. We were shooting from the same ammo.
Boring is relative. Paper is boring. Shooting drills and moving is more enjoyable, but it's my performance *with* the gun that makes it fun. Is the gun comfortable? Is it accurate in your hands?

10mm is my favorite handgun cartridge. Though, I think it really needs to be hand loaded to realize it's benefits (if you're on a budget.) Load it down to .40sw levels for fun plinking/soft shooting and then load it hot to true .357mag levels.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Witness. They are great guns that are way past their earlier frame issues. As far as the trade goes, as long as you're getting a square deal, I'd go for it. If it turns out to be not your cup of tea, you can always sell/trade it down the road.
So what makes it your favorite cartridge? Not being argumentative, just curious. I get the versatility, and I do hand load, already checked out some load data and component costs, it'll actually be a bit cheaper than loading .45 ACP. But the same could be said for lots of other cartridges, so what makes the 10mm a standout?

Square deal for sure, the guy with the Witness is realistic about the trade value, and aware that there's a disparity in value that he's willing to make up with cash or equivalent value in ammo and/or reloading gear/components. Near as I can tell, the only holdup at this point is his unfamiliarity with doing gun trades, so I'm trying to walk him through the process. I've done it enough that it's no big deal, but I can understand the confusion.

Anyway, I've now done enough research that I'm not concerned about the gun itself, and I'm looking forward to trying something completely new to me, it's been decades since I've shot something in the magnum class. Appreciate the input, and will post more when/if the deal goes through. Later.

Dave

So what makes it your favorite cartridge? Not being argumentative, just curious. I get the versatility, and I do hand load, already checked out some load data and component costs, it'll actually be a bit cheaper than loading .45 ACP. But the same could be said for lots of other cartridges, so what makes the 10mm a standout?

Square deal for sure, the guy with the Witness is realistic about the trade value, and aware that there's a disparity in value that he's willing to make up with cash or equivalent value in ammo and/or reloading gear/components. Near as I can tell, the only holdup at this point is his unfamiliarity with doing gun trades, so I'm trying to walk him through the process. I've done it enough that it's no big deal, but I can understand the confusion.

Anyway, I've now done enough research that I'm not concerned about the gun itself, and I'm looking forward to trying something completely new to me, it's been decades since I've shot something in the magnum class. Appreciate the input, and will post more when/if the deal goes through. Later.

Dave
For me it's the best trade off between power, capacity, capability, and versatility. Standard round capacity is 15rds, extended mags can get you to 30 or more. Heavy cast bullets have enough energy to take deer and lighter loads can be used for plinking. I also shoot .40sw through my Glock. Some don't recommend it, but I've been doing it for years with no issues.

I have a Tanfo Stock 3 Blue in 10mm
Easy to shoot and easy to look at.
418406.jpg

Had a witness compact in 10mm. It had heavy recoil, but was a great gun otherwise. Mine was an older model, but after hundreds of rounds, I stopped worrying about slide crack. I sold it after purchasing a Ruger SR1911-10mm. That gun is balls-on accurate and now my hunting side-arm.
I shot the Ruger side-by-side with a friend's G40-MOS, and the G40 handled recoil much better. We were shooting from the same ammo.
Boring is relative. Paper is boring. Shooting drills and moving is more enjoyable, but it's my performance *with* the gun that makes it fun. Is the gun comfortable? Is it accurate in your hands?
I don't know about heavy recoil maybe if all you shoot is 9mm.. I have several 10mm's none of which would I say was very heavy recoil. I would say CZ's are great guns and the tanfoglio takes heavy notes from cz but isn't a clone of it. I think you're getting the better deal also if this a stock II as those come with a tuned trigger and are more expensive than the cz.
Here's a pic of my 10mm tanfoglio, I also reload 10mm and it makes very potent round.

A1887DA8-A079-4D60-B490-0630F5C5C420.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews