Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Considering the Burris MTAC/SkullTac 1-4x24

Discussion in 'Scopes & Optics' started by 2A2Dend, Feb 1, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

One of my ARs needs glass. This is one I considered. Who has one that can share their input?
    Not that I drink the Burris koolaid. I'm figuring a budget of 1k +/- for flexibility.

Left field of a variable, the Trijicon 556 ACOG 3x35 is also on the plate of considered optics. The glass is phenomenal.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. gundog10

gundog10 Member

I have had my MTAC for around 4 years and have put several thousand rounds through my AR-15 with it on. Never have had any issues or complaints and would buy it again. For the money I think it is hard to beat. Check out Opticplanet as they have some pretty good deals and recommendations.

3. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

If you have that budget I'd consider going with a different scope. Or go with the ACOG. Elcan is nice if you can afford it.

4. 2A2Dend

Quite the margin, I know. There are too many choices and not enough friends with my menu to try them all. The Elcan is an outstanding piece. They have caught my attention. Maybe some day...dream

5. ducrider

ducrider Canyonville, OR Active Member

6. Boboclown

Well, I'm running a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 FFP. For the money its pretty good, glass is better than the price you pay IMO. Unless you prefer 1-4.

7. Roop

Roop La Grande Active Member

I have this one that I bought for my 3gun rifle: Burris MTAC

It's a great scope, better glass than the Fullfield tac30 that costs about $100 less. It has worked great for me on targets from muzzle to ~600yds. I recently put it on my 6.8 coyote gun and am having second thoughts about that. If you plan on having your closest engagements be 50yds or more, I would suggest something with a low power in the 1.5-3 range.

8. 2A2Dend

The Meopta. Quality among the best competitors, ducrider, worthy of consideration.

9. Boboclown

Just out of curiosity. What is the purpose of the scope?

10. 2A2Dend

really?

11. Boboclown

Hey, I'm all for collecting scopes and all, just curious as to what you're needing it for. Hunting, long range shooting, I'm not a mind reader here.

12. dwaineshort

dwaineshort Vancouver WA Active Member

I had acog 4x sold and bought the mtac. Sold it bought a vortex pts Viper 1-4. Sold that and bought a primary arms 1-6x which I use for three gun. Great scope for the money.

13. 2A2Dend

Vortex has the 1-6, that looks to be the PA 1-6. I never had the chance to look through either of them.
    Vortex also has the Gen II Razor HD 1-6. I had the chance to look through one at Cabelas. Very nice. I'm not sure how they would be in low light conditions.

14. dwaineshort

dwaineshort Vancouver WA Active Member

Did a night shoot with my PA 1-6 worked fine.

2A2Dend likes this.
  15. Boboclown

16. 2A2Dend

17. Boboclown

Depends on what you mean by new. I've known about it since early last year. Not a red dot sight though.

Course you could just go with a Vortex Razor HD Gen II.

18. 2A2Dend

I know Elcan has been around for quite some time. Your posting the link to that particular model, I have not seen until now. The Elcan prices in general have kept me away.

Scopes are a tough call for me without hands on. Looking at/through them in the retail is like anything new. It's new. The focal planes are a strong consideration also. I think I want a FFP.

19. Boboclown

You're not going to find many FFP scopes in the low variable powers. There's a few but not many. Tbh if I was going for FFP I'd go for a 2-10 at least.

20. 2A2Dend

Whoops!! :confused: What I meant to say was 2FP