JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
(From another site I frequent)

"Ok convicted felon shouldn’t have any guns and along with grinding off the serial number it’s time to go to jail. BUT wow, 2 guns an arsenal? The dude is nuts but the article made me glad to be living in Oklahoma. They talk about Armor piercing ammo being illegal along with hollow points. As for the 2 “Assault Weapons” one was a single shot 50 on a Bushmaster lower just like my gun. I don’t think the reporter knows bubblegum about guns. If the reporter is right about anything I don’t want to live up there. “He also has been charged with possessing armor-piercing, .50 caliber rounds, which are federally banned for public sale, prosecutors said” I’m not “Public” since I just ordered 600 rounds of API ammo. I might need to hide it when I receive them. You ordered me some of those evil 50 Caliber “hollow” points. Oh boy bad boy! Making me look bad."

LOL

I have heard about something concerning the city or Portland having a loaded magazine ban law or something to that effect. I've heard that CCL holders are exempt from that law. I've heard that there seems to be a loop hole due to that because CCL holders can have a loaded rifle magazine and non CCL holders can't. I have not looked into any of this and all I know about it is second hand speculation but it may give you another thing to look into if your interested.
Ya, that's what I was referring to, is that you can't have a loaded magazine, but it said that CCL are exempt. That's more or less what I was asking about in there.

Also I being that it is openly carried and not concealed, it should apply to this part of the law. It does specify belt holsters, but if you attach part of a sling to your belt, doesn't that make it a belt holster?

Oregon Legislature Chapter 166 said:
166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;

(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or

(c) Possesses a firearm and:

(A) Is under 18 years of age;

(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and

(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;

(C) Has been convicted of a felony or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a felony;

(D) Was committed to the Department of Human Services under ORS 426.130; or

(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness.

(2) This section does not prohibit:

(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:

(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor's parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor's parent or guardian; or

(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or

(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person's place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person's place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, "residence" includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.

(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(4) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor.

Well as a lawyer not licensed in that state I can only give my general impressions of such a law: It's crap.

It's a Portland city ordinance - consider the source...

As such, I don't think that it can be too serious a crime. That doesn't mean that KOIN News won't be flabbergasted if they see it on the police blotter.

-tINY

Such local ordinances are VERY dangerous as they can turn ordinary citizens into criminals in a heartbeat. Such ordinances also "educate" the public that guns are evil — after all, they are illegal! I encourage people living where such laws are "theirs" to fight to have them repealed before they screw up more people's lives.

Reporters work for news organizations. News organizations are in the business of selling their stories. The more exciting the story, the more sales made. Reporters thus have an incentive to sensationalize every story, not just gun stories. This is why, even though crime has dropped almost continuously over the last 200 years that people tend to be more afraid of crime then they once were. Sensational stories, from every corner of he globe, bombard people every time the TV gets turned on.

We can only respond to crap by calling it out and labeling it as such, whether we are looking at the ordinance listed above or "news" reports with more hype than facts. We must be the rational voices showing how the other side has distorted & misrepresented reality. Let us be the voice of adult reason, but let us speak loudly so others can be educated.

A Bushmaster altered to fire a .50 caliber round? I'm not sure I'd want to be close when that one get's touched off. :eek:

A lot of hold-up men I've arrested always tell me they are only trying to feed their kids. Bull Feathers! He was about to rob the place. The fact that the serial number is removed is enough to hold him on felony charges, federal and state. My bet is, if he posts bail, the Feds will take him into custody. They often let them linger under state charges while they tidy up thier case in order to charge them in Federal court.

That brings up a good question I've been wondering about a concealed long gun.

To my understanding, if you do not have a concealed weapons permit you cannot have any weapon (hand gun or long gun) in the passenger compartment of your vehicle loaded, but you can have it in your trunk or something where it is inaccessible to you while you are driving.

Yeah, nobody seems to be giving a direct answer here, but...
Yes, you can carry a handgun in your vehicle if you have a CCW. Open or concealed. Loaded and on your person. I don't see any reason why you couldn't have it on the seat, although that would be one of the stupidest places to put a loaded or unloaded handgun for many reasons.
So, you can carry on your person loaded with a CCW in your car or otherwise. Just stay out of government buildings, etc.

Hmmmm.... I have a CHL and I want to carry my Draco concealed lol. I really would but I just don't wanna deal with ignorant cops. I would like to open carry it since it's a pistol but I am not in the mood to get shot lol..... well I am kidding... as long as I don't do anything stupid and just mind my own business and walk in public I should be fine right? lol

In WA you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL). Only good for a pistol.

You can carry an unloaded rifle in the car without a permit as long as there are no cartridges in the chamber or the magazine is not locked in the gun. The magazine can be full and stored right beside the gun, just not locked into firing position. This is different from OR.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top