JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just because we have a right to possess and carry does not give us the right to do so without the proper knowledge and training.

No, as a matter of fact, it does. You should be proficient in safety and use of your firearms, but your right to carry isn't dependent on that, and it shouldn't be.

My concern is that this could be a trojan horse. In order to "respect" the sensibilities of states like NJ and NY they might argue that they need to make the national standard requirements more comprehensive, like requiring a "reason" for a CCW permit, or require range training (say $1500 worth), or do away with "shall issue" and "constitutional carry". I see it as a way that the federal government might acquire leverage to impose standards on the states. Let's be very careful with this.

Bingo... we have a winner!

I don't need another federal agency adding me to their database. Nor do I need approval from the governor of New Jersey, New York, or California to carry in my home state. My opinion is that reciprocity is a ruse. Only adds to the data base and registration issue. No thanks.

The "camels nose under the tent side" approach!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Reciprocity on a national level will be the biggest nightmare you will ever see and will end in the federal gov infringing your rights to extinction if you let it happen. Keep it in State and work to get the states to cooperate with each other.
There can be no other way.

But the question is about a ccw license (which I don't think should be mandatory) is why isn't it like a drivers license issued in one state but good in all states. As far a training goes yes you should get it but that falls under personal responsibility. You screw up you pay the price.

100% :s0155:

The cost is to the original state to process the paperwork, do the background check and print the Permit

Having some hands on qualification ids a good thing.

I do not believe it's needed to go beyond some basic gun handling and a minimal live fire qualification.

This requirement is why many states do not accept Oregon's permit.

Sadly there are a lot of folks out there that have a carry permit, and possess very little, if any good gun handling skills.

My first question before starting a class, is, what are your pistol handling experience ?????

If the student says AHHHHHH, NONE we stop right there.

Time for training, and then think about a concealed carry.

Just because we have a right to possess and carry does not give us the right to do so without the proper knowledge and training.

IT'S AMAZING how many folks that carry, don't have a clue about what they can and can't do legally.

Then the VICE Prez says on national TV just blast the shotgun out the back door.

Ahhhhhhh, what part of stupid is that ????

It's up to us as professionals to set a very top mark example for others to follow.

I have sat in on a couple CCW courses that would either get you killed or tossed in jail.

Sadly this crap is out there, and people are charging $$$$$ for it.

Snowy

Personal responsibility is all that's needed. So far the CHL "community" has done an outstanding job without the federal government sticking their ugly nose in it and it needs to stay that way.
People are responsible for their own actions....period. The US constitution's 2nd Amendment does not come with nor need training to be valid. People do and have done that themselves.
In fact over the past 20 or 30 years all but a couple handgun accidents I have seen have been "well trained" police shooting themselves in the foot or leg. Yes seriously. and one hole in a table in the clubhouse at tri county as well.

I think this issue of CCWP's between states has to do with uniformity of law. Some states ,you can CC without a permit
other states have "shall issue" permits", some have "may issue permits"and some have "almost never issue unless you are some one special permits". Then you have the North east area where you have Red and Green towns, each having their own issue requirements.
I really don't see much hope for reciprocity any time soon.

...............................Jack

Then you have the North east area where you have Red and Green towns, each having their own issue requirements.

This is a general firearms issue in many states and fortunately WA is one of the few with state preemption. Of course towns & cities try (well hello there Seattle), but in principle it's the same everywhere in the state.

Giving any control of any more gun issues to
the federal government is a BIG MISTAKE.
Let the states take care of their own.
People can choose where they prefer living.

But the question is about a ccw license (which I don't think should be mandatory) is why isn't it like a drivers license issued in one state but good in all states.
Because the States all have signed a compact recognizing other states drivers licenses and insurance. But trying to get all the states to sign one covering CC would not work, even WA and OR can't agree on it and WA just removed FL due to FL allowing 18 yr old's.

Deen
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Any license from any state should be given full faith and credit in any other state. My marriage license, My insurance, Medical insurance, All my ID's, My CDL, Boat registration, Captains License, We don't need the feds to try and step in and make uniform requirements. Just simply recognize the properly issued license from other states.

Better yet. Nullify and strike from the records all existing gun laws as applied to individuals, as unconstitutional.

Any license from any state should be given full faith and credit in any other state. My marriage license, My insurance, Medical insurance, All my ID's, My CDL, Boat registration, Captains License, We don't need the feds to try and step in and make uniform requirements. Just simply recognize the properly issued license from other states.

Better yet. Nullify and strike from the records all existing gun laws as applied to individuals, as unconstitutional.

As long as they state that all states must recognize others rights under the 2nd it would be fine.
If it makes a federal issued permit requirement, I will fight tooth and and nail against that one.
The permits must remain in the states, but a bill making all recognize the others, no problem, but You know what they are planning. Massive databases and then ......................
What needs to be done is no permit required to carry any way you want, and then enforce the laws against felons that do.
Those laws are already there.

What needs to be done is no permit required to carry any way you want, and then enforce the laws against felons that do.
Those laws are already there.

But try to get the anti-gun nuts to do that! They don't want ANY peaceable citizens to have guns, only their bodyguards and criminals should have them.

Deen
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top