JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A guy told me that the lottery is for those folks that aren't good at math

The chances of ever needing a gun in our society,if you know how to carry yourself,have to be WAY low.I have worked and lived in some not so great areas and have never felt the need to cary on a regular basis,other than deep in the woods

I call paranoia.

Learn to carry your self better and keep the heck out of bad places.
Is a job that important to have,other than a LEO,to need to carry because it's in a bad area?
Has America gone to second world,where we may not make it home because of civil unrest?

nyet.

paranoia and fantasy

Well if that's true, why do you have guns for self defense at home? You're LESS likely (statistically) to need it there than you are on the street.

There is nowhere on earth that is 100% safe and I don't give a rip how you "carry yourself." An armed person doesn't care how you carry yourself because he knows he's armed and you probably aren't. All you need to do is be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You can work in downtown LA and have no issues at all. But if you break down on your way home from work in that same neighborhood after dark it can be extremely dangerous.

About two months ago a woman was driving in a nice area of town here and saw three kids doing graffiti. She stopped and was calling the cops when they saw her and drew a .44.

The notion that being armed is paranoid is projection. Plain and simple.

I carry because life isn't safe and stuff happens when you AREN'T expecting it. Having a gun may not help me, but it does help even the odds. Don't go to dangerous neighborhoods? You ever drive a car in a strange town? Ever break down? Ever get gas? I've been present at a shooting that happened 50 feet away from me at a gas station in an area where there isn't a house within miles worth less than $300k. I've walked in Watts at 3am on a Friday night not knowing where I was because I broke down and had not only no trouble, but someone stopped and gave me a ride to a bar where all the locals helped me fix the car.

Life isn't nearly as predictable as you seem to think.

I would say 20% paranoia and 80% preparedness. While I don't look over my shoulder every 10 minutes while walking down the street but I do carry for that "what if" moment. Like it has been mentioned above, it's just like having a first aid kit or a fire extinguisher in the car. you hope to never ever use either but you will be damn glad you have one when you need it.

If you aren't just a little worried about what is going on around you , then you aren't paying attention . Don't want to be prepared to defend yourself ? Fine with me , but don't develop an attitude about my decision to carry , I prefer having the option .

A guy told me that the lottery is for those folks that aren't good at math

The chances of ever needing a gun in our society,if you know how to carry yourself,have to be WAY low.I have worked and lived in some not so great areas and have never felt the need to cary on a regular basis,other than deep in the woods

I call paranoia.

Learn to carry your self better and keep the heck out of bad places.
Is a job that important to have,other than a LEO,to need to carry because it's in a bad area?
Has America gone to second world,where we may not make it home because of civil unrest?

nyet.

paranoia and fantasy

Is there a secret on "how to carry yourself" in which you will never need to defend yourself? Even if it is "WAY low", being the victim of a violent action only takes once. I have always believed that having my firearm on my person does not guarantee me to win the situation, but it does provide a more equal footing. Your 'feelings' regarding your 'needs' are irrelevant to whether you will ever be confronted by a violent confrontation. I have removed my firearm once during a violent confrontation and the simple act of display ended the confrontation. Years of hunting, hiking, fishing, etc and I have never displayed or used my firearm while deep in the woods. (well except to fill my tag)

As a professional that lives and works in an upscale neighborhood I do stay out of 'bad places' and I certainly know how to carry myself. Unless of course there is some secret you know that others do not?
As to crime only occurring in 'bad places' that is quite the ignorant statement. Do criminals break into trailer parks, slums, and lower class homes and neighborhoods to steal jewelry, big screen tv's, etc??? Or do they break into middle class homes and upper class homes and neighborhoods to steal finer things? Perhaps you should read actual crime reports and you will find that crime occurs in both 'bad place' (what ever that phrase means) as well as 'good places'.

"paranoia and fantasy"; you have failed to define your argument as such providing no 'delusional' behaviors or necessities.

Over-preparedness...perhaps.
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As a gun owner, and someone who enjoys target shooting, it is logical that I would carry the tool (gun) that I am familiar with, and which gives me a chance of surviving a life-threatening situation. Spending 10 years in emergency services a couple of decades ago caused me to realize a whole lot more happens "out there" than most people are aware of. A lot of walkers/runners carry pepper spray for the same reason I carry concealed; the difference is our chosen means of defense.

Another thing that motivates me to carry is the fact that we can legally do it. I am someone who believes the more people who exercise a right, the greater the likelihood it will remain a right.

I would not label either of the above as "paranoia."

from my limited experience with mental health professionals (not as a patient, but from working at a VA hosptial)....

If it interferes with your ability to function in life, it is a problem. If you are just acknowledging the fact that bad things happen and you should be prepared, but function in daily life, you aren't paranoid.

Besides that, I could never get two noids together at one time to have a pair of them.

To me, people that call CCW guys "paranoid" are ignorant. You won't ever get to decide when and where a violent confrontation will happen. So people that only have a loaded gun at home or only in their car is just plain stupid to me...just like putting trigger locks on your only defense gun. If and when you will really need it, you will probably die just trying to get to it!

Carrying a gun comes with a mental state and a constant responsibility. Some people just can't stand the constant burdon a gun carries (pun intended). When you carry, you have to be aware of your surroundings...moreso than usual. Why? Because you have a loaded firearm...you have to be aware of it when you bend over and pick up things, how and when you decide to intervene in arguments and confrontations (I personally avoid all confrontations when out with my wife versus when I am alone versus when I am with other friends that I know to be carrying). The piece on my hip is a constant reminder to not drink, to not argue or let people get within arms reach and to not have my back to people. Some people like being in condition WHITE because ORANGE and RED are too mentally demanding.

Am I a paranoid person? You bet! If anything looks suspicous I automatically assume the worst. I don't let people follow me home, I let tail-gaters pass, I swallow my pride and avoid fights, I spot exits, first-aid kits and fire extinguishers, I constantly scan for threats and "preppare" for TEOTWAWKI. So yeah, I'm paranoid. I've actually been in firefights that have lasted so long I've ran out of ammo, seen almost every gun jam or break due to improper maintenance, tried to adminster first aid to a casualty with inadequate equipment and inexperience and have seen (first hand) how lack of physical fitness, mental preparedness and planning can cost people their lives.

So, what can I do to make sure I can sleep at night? I plan out every day as if the worst can happen to that if it does I can have a better outcome than everyone else.

I do not carry much. Mainly a couple times when I am in uncertain areas. SO it a capability to have
MOst the time - Carry concelaed and loaded in my car when I travel .
But I have run into problems in the back country - tweakers
I did have a problem one time at 2 in the morning on a highway. I was looking for a place to pull over to go to sleep for a bit. PUlled in one place that turned out had a gate - started to turn around and had someone box me in from the rear. That is the type of situations I am more concerned about.

Is there a secret on "how to carry yourself" in which you will never need to defend yourself? Even if it is "WAY low", being the victim of a violent action only takes once. I have always believed that having my firearm on my person does not guarantee me to win the situation, but it does provide a more equal footing. Your 'feelings' regarding your 'needs' are irrelevant to whether you will ever be confronted by a violent confrontation. I have removed my firearm once during a violent confrontation and the simple act of display ended the confrontation. Years of hunting, hiking, fishing, etc and I have never displayed or used my firearm while deep in the woods. (well except to fill my tag)

As a professional that lives and works in an upscale neighborhood I do stay out of 'bad places' and I certainly know how to carry myself. Unless of course there is some secret you know that others do not?
As to crime only occurring in 'bad places' that is quite the ignorant statement. Do criminals break into trailer parks, slums, and lower class homes and neighborhoods to steal jewelry, big screen tv's, etc??? Or do they break into middle class homes and upper class homes and neighborhoods to steal finer things? Perhaps you should read actual crime reports and you will find that crime occurs in both 'bad place' (what ever that phrase means) as well as 'good places'.

"paranoia and fantasy"; you have failed to define your argument as such providing no 'delusional' behaviors or necessities.

Over-preparedness...perhaps.
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Hahahaha You look like a bubbleguming moog brother.Not even a Guido would bother your no neck G gorden Liddy a$$$.
You could go to Hill top.Seward Park Watts,Compton and all the rest and nobody would make eye contact with you.

But I would have a good laugh,having seen your picture on here.

I have posted this a few times before.
They interviewed violent criminals and showed them video of people walking the streets,shoping and going to there cars.
All the criminals put the same people in the same categories,on how they held themselves.Their awareness of the surroundings,and there awareness of what was going on.
I have "looked off" potential attackers by just making eye contact.I have deflected people by just acting like I was getting my gun ready.

But I am hiding in the little community of Sequim,now.What could I know?

Most of y'all that feel the need to carry every day (or open carry like googoo dug? with his budy that has the drop holster??? You think I give a rats a$$$ what some wanna bee has to say?? GTFO.
GOO GOO,I couldn't care less what YOU have to say,are we clear?)

have either fantasies of being in a gun fight (again goo boy and the NAZI),or you were beat up as a kid and feel the need to be equalized.

I was picked on as a kid,cause I didn't like to fight and was a little bigger than most.I grew up and got over it. I realized I could use my size and mean look to ward off most.
I realized there was plenty of ways to keep people from wanting to confront me.

I don't feel it is my job to protect the general public.The government doesn't want me to protect the general public.
I don't know if I could kill someone...just for attacking me.

My Grand son? Ohh bubblegum yes.Although I would have to wait for my son to get done.

But I mostly don't carry as a general rule,cause I don't know that I can pull the trigger and live with the results.
If you say you can,easily and sleep good,you are either a lair or very bubblegumed in the head.

Blitzkreigere,you can go hang with dawgdawg goo and be the savior.Be the macho man and live where you will die by the gun.

I know with my mentality,it is safer for all if I live in an area where I don't need to carry a gun.

Oh,and Mister bill,I don't have any guns placed in a specific spot as to readily defend myself.I could only hope that the person attacking my abode did it slow so I might find my carry gun ( I saw it the other day...)

And Riot,maybe you are the one who is ignorant. Don't you scan your surroundings everyday? Don't you know what has changed in the regular areas you frequent?
You don't keep track of what is going on in the neighborhood?

I can see whats different in my normal surroundings.I can tell when a bad element is around. I have always seemed to be able to keep away from the one who want to do harm to others.

Am I smarter? Do I have a sixth sense? Why would a non confrontational type person,that doesn't like to fight,know when to keep out of an area that was dangerous?

Don't get me wrong,I have carried and do carry when out in the woods.Then I know I do not know where BAD is coming from.And I know that BAD has guns and I will definitely need guns too.

But Tacoma? What ever. Seattle,Portland? Any of the Puget Sound?
Maybe once a year.Or 10

You can "not back down to any man" and put yourself in harms way.Seems kinda stupid to me,but sure.
I want to go down that dark alley,because I CAN,damit!

Sure.

Or like Dog Man,you can open carry because you feel that's the only way you feel you are getting respect. Maybe you are 5'2 and have a Napoleon Complex,I don't know.

I guess what I am saying is,I have been a wimp most of my life,and still don't see the need to carry

But I don't own a gun shop or work in a bank,or have a jewelry store,or any other business that I carry large mounts of money.

good points OP. I myself am far from paranoid and carry every day. I don't think about carrying my gun...I just do it. I don't think about crashing before I put my seat belt on either. I have friends and family that think I might be a little 'paranoid' because they aren't 'gun people' and I'm fine with that. Some people have this weird sense that only bad guys should have guns on them (except the Holy Police Officer) I know that if the time ever comes where I will need to draw and fire that I will be doing it for a good cause. I believe in God, I don't want to ever have to kill a person...but I'm not going to let someone in this messed up world kill me so easily because I am unarmed. Criminals beat, stab and kill people everyday...just like fatal car wrecks happen everyday. Heck even a roaming dog with blood on its tongue could be deadly. Don't be so foolish to think it can never happen to you...where your seatbelts ;)

mjbskwim...man I hope nothing ever happens to you. Your fantasy world seems great...I would love to live there

I think some people let the fact they are carrying a gun get to their head. I'm sure this happens with new gun owners/chl holders often... I feel sorry for those people who fantasize about SD situations etc. But I would rather be standing next to that guy in a bank robbery than the guy who didn't carry at all...thats for sure

It probably depends on the individual. Having been all over the planet and in some pretty crappy places while in the military, I've developed a "need" to be armed pretty much 24/7. The G19 is always on my person while out and about, hidden (and locked up) in my office at work, and always within arms reach while at home. If I was paranoid it would be the Mossberg 500 or the AK fitting the above protocols.

A really good friend of mine told me last year that he thought there was no excuse to carry a gun all the time, and that he tought that the fact that I did was ridiculous. I have been in situations where I was un-armed and really would have felt a whole lot better if I was. I remember one instance in particular where a guy tried to mug me and 5 of my friends in downtown Chicago. Unfortunately Chicago would have not allowed me to be armed anyway, but the point is if 1 guy is crazy enough to attempt to mug 6 full grown men.........We just took off running as he didn't display a weapon and we weren't far from a heavily populated street.

That incident showed me early on that people are crazy. As another member posted on another thread...."there are too many rats in the cage". As has been posted here..look at the LA Riots. That'll show you exactly how fragile civil order really is and that it wouldn't take much to set it off. I live in a small town well outside of Portland and I work in SE Portland. I carry a pack in my car with extra ammo and other supplies just to make sure I get home if anything were to start getting crazy. Obama, NWO, Chinese Invasion, Nuclear Attack, Al Qaeda, Natural Disaster, pick your poison. The things I see as actually being a realistic threat and drive my motivation to always be armed.......mugging, carjacking, random weirdo emptying a gun into a crowd, or rioting due to whatever.

Would you post links to other threads? I'm interested in reading about your situations.

Sure, here's one thread where I briefly mentioned a few of the incidents. Of course according to our resident ivory tower resident I was not 5 foot 11 and a winner of over 25 unarmed personal self defense fights (starting at age 8) and no doubt my pretty little wife was/is "compensating" too by packing her .357

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/53387-traveling-kalifornia-what-would-you-do-2.html

There are some very naive people on this site.. or they are cognitive dissonance agents

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top