JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don’t know if this has ever been discussed but I’ll bring it up. I am kind of putting my self out there with this but I can’t imagine I am the only one that has not dealt or planed for this.
So you are at the movies you just finished 3 hrs of Avatar and an x-large drink. YOU GOTA GO! :confused: :confused: With the 380 and the pocket holster no big deal but today you have the 1911 commander in an IWB holster. First of all I try to always find a stall not the urinals managing the zipper belt and “steering” I have had some difficult times keeping my gun safe and managed. Do you un-holster in a closed stall and sit your gun on the TP holder or tank. I think this method would leave chance to accidentally leaving a pistol behind. (I Read that some police departments this has been a problem) My worst fear is in a rest room that has no doors on the toilets or only stand up urinals available and accidental “he’s got a gun!” from the guys next to me or a quiet word to the management and a call to the police. May be an irrational fear but has any one had any close calls while in a public restroom or other place?

Elkfish :eek::eek:

The method I use when packing a gun heavy enough to worry about, is to unbuckle the belt then hold the gun and pants as they go down, Then simply flop the gun inside your pants so it doesn't flop out on the floor or God forbid, into the next stall. This keeps it where it needs to be and hides the gun from view. If the stalls are really high up I simply keep my pants about knee height as you sit :) I have heard way too many horror stories to think about taking the gun out of the holster and setting it down. A good holster and cover clothes makes using the public restroom all the more easier. Try different methods at home before heading out if you think it may be a problem. I know many folks don't talk about the subject much, but it is one more thing to think about when carrying :)

I use the urinal and leave my belt on. Gun doesn't move. I carry OWB, but I'd think if a IWB attaches to belt, it would be the same.

Now in the stall doing a #2, I hope to find a place to set the gun. I could leave it in holster and set on ground with pants but someone could see it if they were in the next stall and looked over/down....maybe.

Over time I've upgraded to belts that are just longer. Even with a #2, I don't have to unclasp the belt. It stays closed, only more diameter. j
I'll have to practice the flip onto the lowered pants.

As for a #1 at the urnal, I unzip. No un belting or un buttoning.

At home I set my gun on the ground in front of me when doing number 2
At home I don't have to worry about anybody seeing it. My wife and kids obviously know I'm carrying. :D

Public restroom with a 1911... I always use the stall. I only #2 in a public restroom if I absolutely have too but on a occassion it is necesary. I drop them and place the gun in my pants like above.

The gun in the pants thing is something I will try too. Searches are good also but new ideas are always available at new times. I have gradually gone to heavier and heavier belts there is a guy at the Portland gun show that makes a nice carry belt I use when carrying the 1911. Its thickness is 2 layers of already thick leather and very stiff. Very nice construction and he can make it to any length or width if needed.

They always talk about the real men who only carry a “real”, read full size 1911, handgun but the “real world” is such having no gun is worse than having only a 380 in your front pocket. I feel fine with the 380 protecting only myself when alone but I tend to caliber up when with my whole family The logic being I may have to shoot at greater distance to protect my family and myself in a worse case scenario. Must be why the snubbie is still the #1 carry piece; protect self and others with the smallest compromise. I can shoot a small revolver much more accurately at 20 yards than my Kel-tech 380 for some reason, my 45ACP 50yds if needed. I am usually within 25 feet of my family leaving a no go distance of another 15 feet and a 20 feet of what is that guy what does he want; “that’s close enough, stop!” while I decide to draw or avoid the possible threat.

Unfortunately, with a family you are more likely to be in the uncompromised position of having to use a public restroom, be it at the movies, restaurant, or at a rest area on a road trip. This is how the issue came to mind and came in focus. Seems for me carry is always all about compromise unless you are a cop in uniform or have some other kind of badge that keeps you legit with the public when they SEE A GUN.

Thanks again

Elkfish

:s0155::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top