JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good day, I searched ,but probably missed a thread on this.
I used to occasionally carry in a fanny pack,with a tear away velcro and snaps, access panel in the back, but cannot seem to find the darn thing( old timers disease). are there any new products like a backpack, man purse, fanny pack ,that allows instant access to a handgun, like a tear away velcro opening or?. something that does not have to be unzipped, but can be torn away to access a weapon quickly?.

the zipper ones are not bad they have a pull tab that unzips in two directions and I think they are better then the velcro ones / more quiet and only one pull to undo completely just my $.02

If the bad guys figure that, they'll probably leave you alone. Criminals profile the weakest target, they don't typically go looking for a challenge.

Seriously: animals don't evolve to look weak and invite attack in their protective colouration strategy. They either camouflage themselves by blending in as seamlessly as possible with their environment, or have impressive threat displays, or both, sometimes shifting in posture to expose a colour or to make themselves look bigger.

This is why I don't buy the arguments about the "bad guys knowing" for open carriers. The far and away most probable scenario in which you become a victim is when you ARE one of the bad guys. Because a majority of crime is limited to a small subsegment of the population and most violence is performed among, on, and by violent people who associate primarily with each other.

So most of us on this board, suburban white bread middle-aged males, have very little need to fear overt violence except as a random act. Random acts of violence typically are against targets of opporutunity. Targets of opportunity are chosen based on a quick profile, they aren't planned, calculated and the perp has little knowledge about the vic that isn't instantly discernible in a quick glance.

Chances are, if you have a gun, or are suspected to have a gun or even look like you might resist in any way, the perp is going to walk away and find an easier target. They're going after the low-hanging fruit. That's why they are criminals- because they are lazy and lack the discipline to plan and work hard in life. If there's any effort or much risk involved, they are not going to exert themselves. They're like animals. Living by impulse, but even there a low cunning and smple caclulation of risk and reward rules the day.

My fiancee gets cat-calls and people messing with her when she walks alone. Nobody ever says an impolite word when we're together. I just happen to be 6' and about 215lbs, in reasonably good shape and often enough, people ask me if I'm a cop because I dress neatly and bear myself with a little military discipline, I suppose. I make eye contact and people know that I have noticed them (enough time in sketchy places of the world to make paying attention to my surroundings an automatic habit.) I don't look like an easy target.

So be the harder-looking target. Your liberal neighbour with the "no guns" sign can take the hit for you.

Sorry for de-railing the thread. I might suggest the "Last US Bag Company". I have dealt with them a bit. They're in Vancouver and we moved our shop in right next to them in Andresen Plaza before they moved to another location. Very nice people to deal with- personable. We've had a little bit of issue with consistency, but they made up for it with personality.

I used a Galco for years. Fits your description to a T. Still use it occasionally, when I wanted to blend in better I would flip it around to my fanny. I found I could draw pretty well and I used to practice left handed at the range.

I got one of these:
Concealed Carry Fanny Pack | Select Carry Pistol Pouch | 5.11 Tactical
With my Select Carry Sling Pack. The color variation (square pounch on the front) does a lot to hide how big the pouch is (and that a USPt .45 might be inside). I wouldn't wear it, personally, as a Fanny Pack. Even to agree with Thebastidge, and that is could say "I just may have something in here." I don't carry my primary in anything that easily removed from my body. I recommend against purse carry to my female (or otherwise fashionably challenged) friends (i.e. murse) for the same reason.

I used to have one, but I figure everyone that has one on is packing. So do the bad guys!

If I could find it I'd give it away!

Ya I hear ya, deen. I hope to find something that few people will recognize as a carry fanny pack, need something new and not so obvious. I like to go on long walks ,but hate to carry on a belt I.W.B. holster cause it starts digging into my hip after about a mile. trying to find a way to carry concealled,yet not be in physical pain over it.
thnxs for the response folks, I am checking all the links to see the choices.. thnxs again..

Bastige.....while I agree with your assessment that most crime is criminal on criminal, and most predators evaluate their prey for weakness, there is one weakness in that theory. Like foreign policy, it assumes that all players are rational actors. History has shown that there are irrational actors at large (Hitler, Kim Jon Il, etc). On the street there are face eating drugged out psychopaths, mentally ill and deparate people who's circumstances have driven them to do desparate things. We must plan a defense against all of these. I agree that you should look the harder target. Just be prepared to back it up.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews