JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My journey starts in a distant land in the Middle East where Syria, a country perhaps familiar to you from recent tumultuous events, served as my childhood home. My family ran a commercial apple farm, where my cousins and I wandered through endless rows of apple trees, embracing the innocence of hide-and-seek, and occasionally venturing into the fields with an air rifle on the hunt for frogs and birds. Our aim often missed its mark, but thankfully we were still in our tighty-whities and despite thinking we were elite hunters, our family was certainly not reliant on our bounty. The wild game my grandfather harvested mostly consisted of birds, rabbits, and our indigenous "awassi", similar to a North American bighorn. These are some of my cherished memories from a bygone era.

From these humble beginnings, family ties led me to the Western world, where the United States became the backdrop for my pursuit of a college degree and subsequent foray into a career in Data Science. This career took me across several states before anchoring in California, where my engagement with firearms was sporadic. I occasionally frequented ranges in the Bay Area and the Sacramento Valley, renting a gun and enjoying some target shooting. I soon developed other hobbies, becoming an avid fisherman and catching some of the finest salt-water fish along California's coast. Good times indeed.

During the "event(s)" of 2020, like many others it prompted a period of introspection, and as John Muir put it, "the mountains are calling, and I must go". This ultimately led my wife and I to Bend, OR. We found sanctuary on the outskirts of town, surrounded by nature and mountaintops in the distance. Here, I began to rediscover my love for shooting and started building a modest gun collection.

I joked with my wife and promised "no big d!ck energy" guns, just plinkers to start. Well, we all know how that goes. A few .22s later, a couple of handguns, shotguns, and the inevitable allure of an AK or two… I've got the bug, real bad. I originally thought this would just become a "me" hobby, but my wife has found the joys of plinking. We go shooting at the rock quarries around here when we can. Most recently, I discovered the incredible fun of clay shooting, acquiring my first clay thrower, the Champion Workhorse and igniting this into a new passion.

As the year unfolds, my sights are set on my first hunting expedition, if I can call it that. Armed with knowledge acquired through Hunters Ed (optional for adults, I know) and a hunting license, perhaps a humble rabbit awaits. I'm a pretty decent cook, and am eager to transform my first game into some soft of culinary delight.

Though my journey may diverge from the paths of some of you around me, I've somehow come full circle and reconnected with my roots. The echoes of my grandparents' legacy resonate deeply. I think of them often, and how some of my standout memories from childhood was just their normal way of life. They worked the land, harvested game and often shared the bounty with neighbors and friends. It's a testament that our connection with the land is universal.

To those that have made it this far, thanks for reading. Look forward to chatting with folks, be it here on the forums or somewhere out and about the landscapes of Bend.

Last Edited:
Welcome and thank you for your story . The Pacific Northwest has manny activities that take a person back to their hunter gather beginnings . If your wanting to try something new ? I would recommend razor clam digging at one of the wa beaches . Lots of fun with options for other things a lot of great hotels and restaurants or campgrounds….

Welcome. From one "book writer" to another.

Your story about early life in Syria is interesting. Most people don't know that there is a coastal mountain range in western Syria and Lebanon where apples are grown. It's not all flat desert such as much of the eastern part of the country is.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

Now that's some introduction.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups in Oregon and Washington. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome from Wickiup Junction!

A1.jpg

My journey starts in a distant land in the Middle East where Syria, a country perhaps familiar to you from recent tumultuous events, served as my childhood home. My family ran a commercial apple farm, where my cousins and I wandered through endless rows of apple trees, embracing the innocence of hide-and-seek, and occasionally venturing into the fields with an air rifle on the hunt for frogs and birds. Our aim often missed its mark, but thankfully we were still in our tighty-whities and despite thinking we were elite hunters, our family was certainly not reliant on our bounty. The wild game my grandfather harvested mostly consisted of birds, rabbits, and our indigenous "awassi", similar to a North American bighorn. These are some of my cherished memories from a bygone era.

From these humble beginnings, family ties led me to the Western world, where the United States became the backdrop for my pursuit of a college degree and subsequent foray into a career in Data Science. This career took me across several states before anchoring in California, where my engagement with firearms was sporadic. I occasionally frequented ranges in the Bay Area and the Sacramento Valley, renting a gun and enjoying some target shooting. I soon developed other hobbies, becoming an avid fisherman and catching some of the finest salt-water fish along California's coast. Good times indeed.

During the "event(s)" of 2020, like many others it prompted a period of introspection, and as John Muir put it, "the mountains are calling, and I must go". This ultimately led my wife and I to Bend, OR. We found sanctuary on the outskirts of town, surrounded by nature and mountaintops in the distance. Here, I began to rediscover my love for shooting and started building a modest gun collection.

I joked with my wife and promised "no big d!ck energy" guns, just plinkers to start. Well, we all know how that goes. A few .22s later, a couple of handguns, shotguns, and the inevitable allure of an AK or two… I've got the bug, real bad. I originally thought this would just become a "me" hobby, but my wife has found the joys of plinking. We go shooting at the rock quarries around here when we can. Most recently, I discovered the incredible fun of clay shooting, acquiring my first clay thrower, the Champion Workhorse and igniting this into a new passion.

As the year unfolds, my sights are set on my first hunting expedition, if I can call it that. Armed with knowledge acquired through Hunters Ed (optional for adults, I know) and a hunting license, perhaps a humble rabbit awaits. I'm a pretty decent cook, and am eager to transform my first game into some soft of culinary delight.

Though my journey may diverge from the paths of some of you around me, I've somehow come full circle and reconnected with my roots. The echoes of my grandparents' legacy resonate deeply. I think of them often, and how some of my standout memories from childhood was just their normal way of life. They worked the land, harvested game and often shared the bounty with neighbors and friends. It's a testament that our connection with the land is universal.

To those that have made it this far, thanks for reading. Look forward to chatting with folks, be it here on the forums or somewhere out and about the landscapes of Bend.
Bend area has tons of outdoor recreation opportunities. Highest quality older bicycles in as new condition are dirt cheap in bend. As in 1/30-1/50 the price of their new counterparts.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews