Colt's First Double Actions: The 1877 Lightning & Thunderer

I had a number of the originals in my hands during my SASS days. Sadly, none of those were in firing condition.

IIRC, about 15 years ago, there were some 'visual clones' of similar external design, but of updated internals. I forget which Mfgs. were producing them, and I don't know whether they actually moved into a successful marketing segment.

OP
CountryGent

CountryGent

Reactions
IIRC, about 15 years ago, there were some 'visual clones' of similar external design, but of updated internals. I forget which Mfgs. were producing them, and I don't know whether they actually moved into a successful marketing segment.
Interesting. I've only seen single-action-only repos/look-alikes. (I had one some time back.) But not DAs. If they were the same pattern, but better internals, that would be neat-o. :)

OP
CountryGent

CountryGent

Reactions
is the absence of DA on the design a buzz-kill for have the SA only model?
(asking for a friend);)
Out of the box, I had mechanical issue that can be read about here. They had a good warranty and repair policy; free shipping both directions and parts and labor. (The local UPS hub is run by a militantly anti-gun twit, that does not know her own company's policies, made it a pain, but it was straightened out.)

After that, it was a fun shooter. I didn't pick it up for competition, cowboy action shooting or anything like that, but rather just to plink away. For that purpose, it worked quite well. I sometimes carried it in a holster on morning walks, just because. For reasons I don't fully recall, though it was almost certainly only a shift in interest, I sold it off.

All and all, not a bad little single-action. :)

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
Top Bottom