JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just found out my father in law has a colt just hangin out upstairs... I'm trying to find out exactly what he's got here but everything is so confusing... Is there a quick way to tell if a colt is reproduction?

Can you post some detailed pictures? Or at least a list of ALL markings on the
gun?

FWIW---the chances of it being a genuine Walker are about the same as you
being hit by lightning while playing golf in a pink tu-tu.

The only thing that is on it is serial number, on barrel it says "address Sam colt New York", and US with a number under it on the right side. The chamber has a design on it, horses with riders, and also a scrolled patter but there are no words in it

Here is the overall pic

image.jpg

Anything is possible. That being said you need to get in touch with Colt Mfg. and see what they have to say. I am sure they have some basic information as to weight, correct markings, size and proper location to parts as a starting point. I am certainly no expert but the frame looks a little more 'blue' than it should be for the age and the edges are too sharp. Every genuine old Colt I have ever seen has virtually no blue left and the edges on the metal parts were always dented and dinged up. Call Colt.

From the photo of the trademark (which is a pretty lousy photo) I do not see the letter "L" after the name "SAM" and would therefor say without a doubt your holding a reproduction.

To see what the trademark should actually read here is a description taken directly from one of the most famous of the 100 civilian sold Walkers.

Fine and Exceptional Colt Walker Model Civilian Series | Lot #33006 | Heritage Auctions

The markings are extraordinary, sharp and perfect, with numbers matching throughout. The barrel address is sharp and clear:
ADDRESS, SAML COLT, NEW-YORK CITY
(note that the L in SAML is raised with a line beneath.)
(Note yours does not say "CITY" nor does it have the dot between "New" and "York" Nor the comas.

The address line should look like this one on a 1851 Navy
<broken link removed>

The barrel address doesn't look quite right. I can't tell---is it Sam Colt or SamL Colt(with the L being about half height and
positioned at the top of the M)?

It does look like a Walker----but there are a LOT more fake Walkers than there are real ones.

The barrel address doesn't look quite right. I can't tell---is it Sam Colt or SamL Colt(with the L being about half height and
positioned at the top of the M)?

It does look like a Walker----but there are a LOT more fake Walkers than there are real ones.

So this is not correct... Any value on a well done reproduction? Lol

image.jpg

In beat up condition if its still safe to shoot maybe $75.00 to 90.00

I would not be so sure it is not a legit Walker. Yes, there were some that were manufactured to deceive, but most reproductions will have "Italy" on them somewhere. It is an import law thing.

Colt manufactured the Walker for more than one year, and the proof is in the SN...which takes a letter to Colt requesting the history. I have an old Colt, and if tehre is one thing I have learned...you know nothing until you do your research.

I would not be so sure it is not a legit Walker. Yes, there were some that were manufactured to deceive, but most reproductions will have "Italy" on them somewhere. It is an import law thing.

Colt manufactured the Walker for more than one year, and the proof is in the SN...which takes a letter to Colt requesting the history. I have an old Colt, and if tehre is one thing I have learned...you know nothing until you do your research.

I called them today... But they are closed. What are normal serial numbers? Mine is 3 digits and a B. Also, I looked and there is no Italy stamped on it unless its internal. Thanks!!

I called them today... But they are closed. What are normal serial numbers? Mine is 3 digits and a B. Also, I looked and there is no Italy stamped on it unless its internal. Thanks!!

There were a total of 1100 of them manufactured originally. From what I've read tehre were 2000 ordered ( first order of 1000, then a second order for a second thousand. The original ones came back for factory referb because of problems...that may be your "b" in your serial number.

I did find one other thing, Colt itself did make reproductions (or produced it after the original 2000 order) but with a 3 digit SN it either has to be real, or specifically manufactured to deceive. As it looks like it has age, I think it there is enough to get a letter from Colt. (It will cost you $$ though)

check this out very good info.. gives you Sn.#

Serial Number Data

There appears to be a couple of problems with that list. They only account for a bit over 600 SNs, where the Colt information I have states there were 1100 Walkers manufactured.

There is another problem I see there. I have a Colt Officer's Model 38 that does not have the 1926 patent date, which reguardless of anything else means it was manufactured before the 1926 patent date (I happen to know for Colt letter Positive that it was manufactured in 1926, but before the 1926 patent was issued.) Your link only give SN for Officer's Models manufactured in 1930 or later. (Those will all have the 1926 patent date on them)

Without a letter from Colt, you do not know "FOR SURE". If the pistol is real, that letter takes all question out, and more than doubles it's value.

Oh, may I point out...with Colt...their SN's are a mess. Illustrations here: http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/showthread.php?421178-Colt-Officers-Model-38

For this to be a real Colt Walker then one would have to believe that Colt so screwed up the address line in 6 ways

The font is completely wrong

No little detail line leading into the address line

No raised L with a line under it at the end of "SAM"

No dot between "New" and "York"

The Word "City" does not appear after New-York.

No little detail line leading out of the address line

The Serial number mentioned does not match any original nor is the style of the serial number the same as either the Military or the Civilian versions

The cylinder locking notches appear to be closer to the muzzle end of the cylinder then photos of confirmed originals. The also appear to have parallel sides as if cut with a mill end. The originals are clearly OVAL in shape.

The back strap on this is clearly made from Brass while the Original in this series of photos is clearly NOT BRASS

Priced in Auctions : Colt Walker U.S. Military Issue Revolver Company No. 81* - HLEBOOKS.com & Collectorebooks.com

The US 1847 on the OPs is to far down on the side of the breach actually being shielded by the Screw. If you look at this photo of the side of the breach block on a reproduction you not only see the same lowered position of the 1847 but you also see why the side of the Block has all those hammer marks. They are there as a result of obscuring the proof marks shown in this photo

I see no rear sight nor indication one was mounted in a dovetail as shown in the above example

The whole bottom of the Breach block is shaped wrong the OPs gun has a rounded shape to the bevel at the bottom edge the confirmed orignial instead has a concave shape to this area.

I'm sorry but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck. Then it is a duck. In this case this is a dolled up reproduction nothing more. There are at least 13 problems with this being an original and that is just what I can see from a couple super crappy photos comparing them to confirmed originals photos.

I would bet on it.

For this to be a real Colt Walker then one would have to believe that Colt so screwed up the address line in 6 ways

The font is completely wrong

No little detail line leading into the address line

No raised L with a line under it at the end of "SAM"

No dot between "New" and "York"

The Word "City" does not appear after New-York.

No little detail line leading out of the address line

The Serial number mentioned does not match any original nor is the style of the serial number the same as either the Military or the Civilian versions

The cylinder locking notches appear to be closer to the muzzle end of the cylinder then photos of confirmed originals. The also appear to have parallel sides as if cut with a mill end. The originals are clearly OVAL in shape.

The back strap on this is clearly made from Brass while the Original in this series of photos is clearly NOT BRASS

Priced in Auctions : Colt Walker U.S. Military Issue Revolver Company No. 81* - HLEBOOKS.com & Collectorebooks.com

The US 1847 on the OPs is to far down on the side of the breach actually being shielded by the Screw. If you look at this photo of the side of the breach block on a reproduction you not only see the same lowered position of the 1847 but you also see why the side of the Block has all those hammer marks. They are there as a result of obscuring the proof marks shown in this photo

I see no rear sight nor indication one was mounted in a dovetail as shown in the above example

The whole bottom of the Breach block is shaped wrong the OPs gun has a rounded shape to the bevel at the bottom edge the confirmed orignial instead has a concave shape to this area.

I'm sorry but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck. Then it is a duck. In this case this is a dolled up reproduction nothing more. There are at least 13 problems with this being an original and that is just what I can see from a couple super crappy photos comparing them to confirmed originals photos.

I would bet on it.

I did notice the proof marks on yours, and not on his. To the OP..are their proof marks on your FIL's pistol? can we see a photo of them? Very important. If the proof marks have been hammered out as Mark W has suggested...it would be a killer...and true proof that your Walker is not an original.

I did notice the proof marks on yours, and not on his. To the OP..are their proof marks on your FIL's pistol? can we see a photo of them? Very important. If the proof marks have been hammered out as Mark W has suggested...it would be a killer...and true proof that your Walker is not an original.

Wow! Thanks for all the info! We knew this gun was a long shot but u never know unless u ask! Sorry about the photos, I took them with my iPhone so that I could at least of something on there. I wasn't going for super high quality, NPR was I expecting anyone to tell me I had a half a million dollar gun, I simply didn't know what this thing was and wanted an opinion on it! So thank u all for ur comments and suggestions! When I am at their house next I will take a pic of the proof marks if there are any on it... Where exactly would they be? Thanks again!!