JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad has a chance to buy a Colt Government Model 45 made in 1960. Any idea what they are worth?

IMG_4859.jpeg IMG_4860.jpeg

Brand new colts seem to go for just a hair under a grand at a starting point. CMP models go for more than that....

I would very roughly guess in the thousand dollar area, though I'm by no means an expert and hope to read what others think

Brand new colts seem to go for just a hair under a grand at a starting point. CMP models go for more than that....

I would very roughly guess in the thousand dollar area, though I'm by no means an expert and hope to read what others think

Since it doesn't seem to have the "idiot scratch" under the slide lock lever…. which offsets the pearl handled pimp grips….. $1,200?

Me personally. I wouldn't pay more than $900 because you can get a new Colt Competition with better features and g10 grips for roughly $900. I doubt that older Colt has much collector value as it's post ww2.

The grips certainly don't help value. Because the lighting in the pics isn't that good it is hard to tell about the finish. It looks as it could be very nice and if it is, the estimates of a little over $1000 make sense to me. I could see a little higher if it came with the original grips and especially if the original box was included. However, at those higher prices the seller can expect to have a bit of a wait before actually finding the right buyer.
I'd say anywhere between $800 and $1000 would be a fair price to pay.

Possibly controversial opinion here, but I think it's "value" is whatever your dad thinks is a fair price. It's not a collectors piece so resale price will depend on the ability to find a buyer when (or if) he wants to sell it but if it's a keeper then resale is a non issue, this isn't a tool, it's a toy that if pressed could be used as a tool. It isn't a utility pistol so comparing value to something like a Glock or even a more modern interpretation of the 1911 isn't all that useful. To me this would be more of a emotion driven Vs a logical / need oriented purchase so I would evaluate the 'value' by comparing how having the cash compared to having this pistol to enjoy. Sometimes having cash is more valuable than whatever you could buy regardless of how well priced that thing is. Other times, if you have enough cash traidning cash for things you can enjoy is worth more than the actual value of the cash in question

I think the price range others have given are accurate, but in the end he has to decide if having that particular pistol is worth the price of admission

Possibly controversial opinion here, but I think it's "value" is whatever your dad thinks is a fair price. It's not a collectors piece so resale price will depend on the ability to find a buyer when (or if) he wants to sell it but if it's a keeper then resale is a non issue, this isn't a tool, it's a toy that if pressed could be used as a tool. It isn't a utility pistol so comparing value to something like a Glock or even a more modern interpretation of the 1911 isn't all that useful. To me this would be more of a emotion driven Vs a logical / need oriented purchase so I would evaluate the 'value' by comparing how having the cash compared to having this pistol to enjoy. Sometimes having cash is more valuable than whatever you could buy regardless of how well priced that thing is. Other times, if you have enough cash traidning cash for things you can enjoy is worth more than the actual value of the cash in question

I think the price range others have given are accurate, but in the end he has to decide if having that particular pistol is worth the price of admission
Uuuuuhhh….. That was the most "middle of the road",
non-judgmental, non-dictatorial "controversial" opinion that I have ever read….. that wasn't posted by @Andy54Hawken.

;) :D

Just pickin' on ya Andy! :s0155::s0140:

Uuuuuhhh….. That was the most "middle of the road",
non-judgmental, non-dictatorial "controversial" opinion that I have ever read….. that wasn't posted by @Andy54Hawken.

;) :D

Just pickin' on ya Andy! :s0155::s0140:
That was both very funny and very true.... :D
With that said....
My middle of the road , non-judgmental , non-dictatorial , controversial opinions are backed up by my
Colt Series '70 ( original ) Government Model in .45ACP....Just something to consider....:D
( Top one in the picture )
Oh , as to dollar value for the pistol in the OP...somewhere between $800 and $1,200 or thereabouts.
Andy

Last Edited:
That was both very funny and very true.... :D
With that said....
My middle of the road , non-judgmental , non-dictatorial , controversial opinions are backed up by my
Colt Series '70 ( original ) Government Model in .45ACP....Just something to consider....:D
( Top one in the picture )
Or as to dollar value for the pistol in the OP...somewhere between $800 and $1,200 or thereabouts.
Andy
@Andy54Hawken do you have a value opinion?

When selling history, condition is everything. Gone is the day people send these guns to custom smiths. Too many production customs to compete with.
That's $800 to someone who wants a vintage shooter. Minty could fetch 1400.
Remember Patton…:D
"They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads