JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It just occurred to me the other day as I reviewed my build sheet that I should check my foreign parts count... I'm pretty sure I'm safe, but I want to make sure I don't go above 7 in the future.

How many of the 20 specified parts in 922r apply to DI ARs?
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Hmm, never thought about it in the case of AR's. I don't think I have any that have foreign parts.

Because that really matters...

Yes. 922r is what determines is a gun is US made or not even if it is an AR-15. Its a stupid law aimed more at protecting US manufacturers. Its NEVER enforced at the consumer level.

Its more of a tack on charge if anything. And it only applies if you manufacture it (for all intents and purposes, if you swap out the parts etc etc you are the manufacturer). However, I don't know of many parts for an AR that would count as a foreign part except magazines.

Certain semiauto rifles are exempted because of C&R status, but only remain if you keep it in stock configuration.

I wouldnt call it a tack on charge because its never been tacked on.

Plenty of foreign made parts for AR's. Buttstocks, mags, grips, forends especially. Who knows where a lot of the internal stuff comes from.

30 years ago, we used to get stainless steel pipe that had austentite nodules embedded. It would ruin the tooling, whether turning on the lathe or threading in a pipe machine. On investigation, we found it was sourced from China. Sent it all back, and asked for the refund to include all our ruined tooling costs, which we had documented.

Fast forward to today: most shizzle made in China, except for electronics that are built to manufacturer's specs, still does not have the quality that you would find in American made.

There, I said it. Call me an anti-sino, xenophobic m'fer, but that is my experience.

That aside, if I examine it, everything I have on my ARs is USA made, except for the handguard I just installed on my last build.
HOwever, I have not checked sourcing that closely: PSA / Anderson / Geissle / Magpul / BCM. If they have Chinese crap, then I'm the fool.

922r only applies to imported 'assault weapons'.....It's how we ended up with neutered MAK90s, NHM90s, etc and the fugly butthole stocks. Applies to others like FAL and AK parts kits. I've never heard of anyone busted for having the wrong parts count.

Thats not true. 922R is what determines whether a gun is imported or not and not what the country of origin is. Its kind of a continuation of the laws that determine whether a car is US made or not. You have a list of potential parts. If over 50% of those parts come from the US then it is considered US Domestic produced even if it was assembled in another country. You could potentially have a gun assembled in Belgium from majority US made parts and it would be considered to be US made for 922r purposes.

I wouldnt call it a tack on charge because its never been tacked on.
Said it is a tack on charge if anything. Not that it is.

Its easy to avoid foreign parts on an AR to be honest. Unless you're buying a foreign AR, in which case the count really would matter. If complying with 922r.

Ive got several foreign made AR parts that I didnt know were foreign made when I bought them. Usually its forend and buttstocks. some of the railed forends I bought years ago were so far out of spec on the rails it wasnt even funny.

With company like ATI and some of the turkish stuff on the market ( FN too although I think they make all their stuff in South Carolina ) plus the Chinese you just never know until you get it in your grubbies and even then you might not know for sure. I like to console myself by not caring.

Thats not true. 922R is what determines whether a gun is imported or not and not what the country of origin is. Its kind of a continuation of the laws that determine whether a car is US made or not. You have a list of potential parts. If over 50% of those parts come from the US then it is considered US Domestic produced even if it was assembled in another country. You could potentially have a gun assembled in Belgium from majority US made parts and it would be considered to be US made for 922r purposes.
Do you know of any foreign assembled military type firearms made with US parts?

I think we all know how a Chicom Type 56 or whatever becomes a MAK90

Semantics...

The MAK 90 was just a work around to get the same guns in the country. They werent "assault rifle" by the letter of the law. because they lacked the "features" of an assault rifle. Had the Chinese imported US made AK parts and used those to build the guns they could have sent them in intact. At the time those parts didnt exist. Nowhere in the law do they specify point of assembly. Its all about where the parts are manufactured which was a way of keeping companies like Mitchell Arms and that other AK company who's name escapes me ( B West ?) , who had been doing just that, from bringing in parts kits and throwing them on a receiver and selling them as US made. Labor , customs , ITAR and manufacturing costs being what they are its cheaper and more cost effective to send nearly complete rifles to the US and get the US made parts added here.

So what are these foreign parts you got? Only thing I can think of, aside from a magazine, is a handguard or stock. Maybe.
Stock, VFG and one mag, all Israeli origin. Some of this is planning ahead for possible clone-builds of a Canadian C8 and an as-Bundeswehr-issue HK416 (hopefully without the "HK, because you pissant proles suck and we hate you and the very earth you walk on" brand and attitude).

@FireArm No help there, that's where I got the part list from.

Foregrips do not count on 922R. If you have a foreign stock, handguard, pistol grip, and magazine (this is the tricky part tbh) that's 7 parts. You'd have room for 3 more. Not sure what other parts you can get that are foreign, IMI Defense (not to be mistaken for IMI or IWI) BCGs are available and they claim to be made in Israel, but other than that who knows.

There is a company in Taiwan that does make parts for ARs, but I don't think any of their stuff is even in this country.

I always assume the three mag parts are going to be foreign, whether they really are or not--old "just to be safe" habit from when I was looking at a Saiga-12 build I never went forward with.

Part of my thinking is, if I get the chance to go forward building the girlfriend a C8 (Colt Canada's Canuckized M4) clone and can somehow get the genuine Canadian parts I want to keep it as "made of .CA parts" as I legally can other than a BCM upper, Anderson lower and Palmetto or Aero LPK and buffer assembly.

Big question is, do we have "Mounting Blocks/Trunnions" or "Trigger Housings" (other than the lower casting itself)? If I'm understanding things right op-rod and piston would apply to piston ARs but not traditional Direct Impingement...

Last Edited:
Well with stock, handguard, pistol grip, and foreign magazine (or fire control group) that leaves 3 items that can be foreign made. Aside from a BCG and bolt, not sure where you're going to get the three.

Edit: Unless the ATF considers the gas key on a standard AR as a piston, though I doubt they do. Trunnions do not apply nor do operating rods for standard ARs. Sears are also a non-issue for the standard AR (and even if you get one it'd be U.S. made anyways). That leaves the muzzle device, barrel, barrel extension, and receiver.

Last Edited:
PTR rifles, even though they are built/assembled in the U.S., list that they will have a minimum of 7 U.S. parts when shipped to meet 922r requirements.

Several of these parts on my rifle I have already swapped out with original Hk and Rheinmetall parts and set the U.S. made parts aside as backups.

I think that I'm still in compliance (flash hider, barrel, trunnion, receiver, FCG) but I'm not really worried about anyone checking either. o_O

E

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR