JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
3 years ago i started fishing for springers and i did what everyone else does that fishes from a boat went to the store bought about $200 in flashers which i had never even seen before, and I caught one jack the whole time, not to mention the lead and swivels. I lost about half of that gear that year the next year started out fishing with a buddy and i lost all my flashers and most of my lead before February was over I started doing the math and was disgusted to figure out I spent almost $500 on one fish. I decided to figure out what it would take to start making my own flashers since that was the bulk of my fishing gear cost. Well the design i stumbled on out fishes anything I have bought and leaves my buddies best gear in the dust someday i hope to take it to market here is a few of the Springers I caught in the last two years one is an unofficial 40 pound plus

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

IMG_20110513_120424.jpg

imagejpeg_2_8.jpg

044-1.jpg

downsized_0726110720.jpg

That boat is my buddies boat it is a 02 20' Thunderjet Alexis soft top with a yammi kicker and t-7 remote steer. I have to wipe my drool off of it after every time i fish with him. I have a 68 17' owens with a 35 evenrude main and kicker of the same vintage. My boat still gets fish just alot older not as shiney not as fast or as big or dry oh well I like it :s0155: here is some pics of my buddy and his boat. and that unconfirmed 40 plus pound fish I was on Outdoor gps with it and took a proof pic lol

IMG_20110720_122027.jpg

imagejpeg_2_9.jpg

IMG_20110613_104349.jpg

My first boat 35 years ago was a $100.00 P-14 piece of junk, it had a 35 hp Johnson with a mind of it's own. Made every trip out an adventure.
I was taught how to catch salmon and steelhead by an old timer named Jimmy Foreman, one of the best fisherman on the Willamette and Columbia.
This old guy invented fishing pole alarms, made his spinners and wobblers out of model T head lamps ( brass on the inside / nickle plate on the outside) and gold pocket watch lids and always fished by the Soluner Tables. If you have not heard of these tables, look on line or in Outdoor Life magazine every other month.
Those were the days when Springers and fall Chinook were plentiful and there was not an adipose fin to deal with. We caught so many Springers we just gave them away, not so anymore.
Every year the race was on to make that special lure that was irresistible to salmon, and my friend Jimmy was a genius for figuring out what color beads or spinner shape would work.
I was lucky having him take me under his wing and teach me how to read the rivers and catch fish.

I have read a few articles and chapters in books about Solunar tables, I have yet to connect the dots though and put it to good use.

I really appreciate the Old guys around me they have taught me what to do and what not to do.

The legends will always live in the way we fish today and tomorrow as long as we pass on the knowledge they worked so hard to learn and teach.

My fishing friend Jimmy taught me how to decipher the Soluner tables to our best advantage.
True story:
We fished mostly in the mornings, but if the tables were favorable for evenings, we would switch, and fish later on those days.
We were anchored in a hog line above the power lines, right above the Sandy river and next to us was a fisherman that refused to believe any sun/moon tables could predict when a fish would strike a lure.
The time for a major bite was 7:02 pm. As I was explaining to this guy that the birds and other animals will also follow the tables, Jimmy pointed to my rod and said "you've proved your point, grab your rod." 32 lb Chinook at exactly 7:02 pm. The guy wrote down the entire set of tables for the next ten days left of fishing that year.

redmud) congrats, I feel your earlier pain and wallet lightening, I have lived in the state for about a year and used to live in a state with tens of thousands of lakes. Never really fished rivers, and now I don't have a boat here and have been only out fishing a handfull times because of not knowing how to even start, let alone where. I hope you do market and sell your product. That is a dream and a oppurtunity you should take advantage of if you can. Would love to know how you do it but im not going to ask, probably wouldn't do any good for me individually anyway since I do not have a boat. Im still trying to figure out the bank fishing styles around here. Good to hear again about your success.

I would think those Solunar tables would be most effective in a state such as Oregon on the coast. Gravitational pull with strong ocean tides, I believe that is exactly what those tables and charts are implying.

Thanks Minnesota. I almost sold the design to a local manufacturer but just couldn't do it, so i just kept it in my back pocket.

I have noticed that most of my fish seem to come around tide changes an hour before or after and then nothing for 4 hours and its game on again. On those lucky days it can be a steady bite all day. Well now I have some homework to do on solunar tables. I did notice at one point the bite didn't come on the morning tide change but the afternoon tide and stayed that way for a several days then switched back to morning.

keeping a log book is your best way of looking at a overall view. On a lake called Mille Lacs back home, I found for two to three weeks every july when the days are hot and fishing turned south, from 1 a.m. to 4 a.m on the platou mud flats, fishing was almost scary. No one else out on a lake that is 15 miles wide by 19 miles long, and you are out 5 miles in the dark mornings and having the best fishing of your life, every year, same time period and very connected to the moon and lunar fases. It was so awesome I had to bring a couple people out every year that thought I was nuts for fishing during those times. Keep it up and your info are worth its weight not only in gold but something not too many other fishermen know.

I went trout fishing with my brother and step Dad this summer also. We started out trolling with two Ford fenders one was brass and chrome, and the other was all chrome, and a rooster tail we had one trout for 2 hours. With a frusterated look my brother asked me if I thought a flasher would work so I gave him the one my daughter designed one day while fishing for Salmon she is 7 she said it was pretty and I thought well you never know. Two minutes go by and bam fish on my brother was all kinda happy. We had one on every pass and 3 at once when we all swithched to my flashers great day.

IMG_20110709_175139.jpg

I have never fished with just a Herring. Do you have alot of success?

They were a blast to catch and I hope to do as well this year. I have to get ready. I have been working way to much.

the only time i come out of the gate with fish flash is when the water is really murky.

dont get me wrong, i have an armada of fish flash but generally run half the rods with and half without and can say either catches more fish.

if i were to go out today and try and hook a springer, i would run without.

i will say im quite sure a flasher is not required to catch springers in the pdx area.

Nice I will definately be running some flashless herring this year on clear water days and bright days.

There were two spring Salmon last year that I caught though in clear water we marked them above my gear that dove we thought they were spooked off by the boat then bam they were on my rod banging away. I have to adimit that the first one I thought for sure was just coinicidence then it happened again. I have yet to repeat but I hope to repeat at that point I have to say it was something besides what they are seeing. unless the flash on the top of the water drove them to curisouity.

Btw one of my buddies say I put to much thought into it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top