JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One more feature of value in a college education (but this feature has absolutely NOTHING to do with education):

It can be added to the list of "Systems" you have (somewhat) successfully navigated in your life. Elementary school taught you how to navigate the system of Junior and High School. High School gave you a window on the "System" of college or work. (Show up on time and put in your time.) For some of us babes in the woods, military was an Advanced Graduate Degree in "Systems".

And the more "Systems" you've figured out how to survive in, the better off you will be in ANY work setting (or any setting).

Operating successfully within a "System" is actually the MOST valuable thing we can now in our current time know.

I graduated the school of hard knocks, my councilor recommended tire retreading, or fish cleaning as my best choice of schools! Joined the Air Force and did my 20 and retired. Took the G.I. bill and went to Aviation schools, earned my A&P and then did my 3 years for the certs! At the same time, I took the gunsmithing courses at Trinidad Collage, and graduated with my certs as well! Never planned to make ether one a career, mostly to learn useful skills I could use in the real world, and perhaps make a little extra on the side! Finally, I took a bunch of welding classes, enough to earn yet more certs. Point is, I took the classes/training I wanted, didn't have to go through all the hoops to earn any kind of degree, and can actually use these skills for my own benefit!

For reference, a single certified aircraft engine, say a Lycoming IO 360 will cost you around $30,000 for me to overhaul and paper, at a profit of around half the total price of the job! If you bring me a IO-540, that's $45,000 and up! I average 5 or 6 builds per year, working for who I want, when I want, and take as long as I want! You want me to do airframe work, it's $300 per hour consultation minimum 2 hours charge! After that, it's what ever I feel like charging! Basic inspections on up to full certified inspections, and engines/prop work!

I graduated the school of hard knocks, my councilor recommended tire retreading, or fish cleaning as my best choice of schools! Joined the Air Force and did my 20 and retired. Took the G.I. bill and went to Aviation schools, earned my A&P and then did my 3 years for the certs! At the same time, I took the gunsmithing courses at Trinidad Collage, and graduated with my certs as well! Never planned to make ether one a career, mostly to learn useful skills I could use in the real world, and perhaps make a little extra on the side! Finally, I took a bunch of welding classes, enough to earn yet more certs. Point is, I took the classes/training I wanted, didn't have to go through all the hoops to earn any kind of degree, and can actually use these skills for my own benefit!

For reference, a single certified aircraft engine, say a Lycoming IO 360 will cost you around $30,000 for me to overhaul and paper, at a profit of around half the total price of the job! If you bring me a IO-540, that's $45,000 and up! I average 5 or 6 builds per year, working for who I want, when I want, and take as long as I want! You want me to do airframe work, it's $300 per hour consultation minimum 2 hours charge! After that, it's what ever I feel like charging! Basic inspections on up to full certified inspections, and engines/prop work!
(And I mean this nicely).

FU :s0140:

I think the old adage that college is correct for some, but not all, still holds true today. There has been a resurgence in appreciation of trades people and their current pay and benefits reflect that, often greater than their college peers; carpenters, plumbers, hvac, welders, etc.
One of the tradeoffs is a trades-person in a physical occupation (think carpenter) probably has a shorter career span than someone who is based behind a desk..
It's best to choose an occupation you enjoy.

College, what is it for today?

For many, it is a way to keep them out of the job market for a few years.

For some, it is a way to keep themselves out of the job market for a few years.

For most, it is a way to be fed propaganda for a few more years.

For a few lucky ones, it is a place where they can hone their critical thinking skills, while they hide their real beliefs from those who give out their grades.

Forced focus, attention, and accountability. I can't imagine trusting a self taught civil engineer even if they passed with flying colors online. In fact, some notable catastrophic failures in the 1800s and early 1900s were due to self taught engineers. Sure, I've learned most of my welding online. I wouldn't trust myself for pipeline welding nor would anybody else.
In the marine industry, you become an engineer by either attending an academy, or by learning your trade OJT by putting in the work and doing your time at sea. The latter is referred to as "coming up the hawse pipe".

After sailing for over 40 years, I can tell you neither way is particularly predictive of a good engineer or not. You either is or you ain't. College is a pretty good predictor, however, of whether or not a company will take you out of the engine room to work an office job. Make of that what you will.

(Full disclosure, I'm a hawsepiper)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top