JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure If this is the right subforum.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone has similar experience or insight.

I bought a cmc lower parts kit for an ar15 build in working on. It was about $40 bucks and didn't come with a trigger or handgrip, so it seemed like a reasonable price.

I went to install it, and low and behold the mag release(left side specifically) was getting stuck in its well. I had to force it to get it out, so I wiggled it around and ended up lightly taking it to a bench grinder to see if maybe it was out of spec.

Didn't help (much) so I took my mag release which works perfect out my rifle. Worked perfectly, so I took the cmc and put it in a known good receiver and it stuck really bad.

That made me feel good knowing it wasn't the new receiver. After comparing it to my current rifles parts, I found the finish and overall quality was severely lacking. Poorly cast parts, and weak springs.

Anyone have a different experience, or should I have known not to buy it.

For reference, the spikes kits with a grip are only a dollar or two more.

I was disappointed with my CMC kit as well, I got an oversized bolt catch roll pin, and had to file on my mag release button as well. It's a shame they decided to cut corners on the LPK when they make such great triggers.

Not sure If this is the right subforum.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone has similar experience or insight.

I bought a cmc lower parts kit for an ar15 build in working on. It was about $40 bucks and didn't come with a trigger or handgrip, so it seemed like a reasonable price.

I went to install it, and low and behold the mag release(left side specifically) was getting stuck in its well. I had to force it to get it out, so I wiggled it around and ended up lightly taking it to a bench grinder to see if maybe it was out of spec.

Didn't help (much) so I took my mag release which works perfect out my rifle. Worked perfectly, so I took the cmc and put it in a known good receiver and it stuck really bad.

That made me feel good knowing it wasn't the new receiver. After comparing it to my current rifles parts, I found the finish and overall quality was severely lacking. Poorly cast parts, and weak springs.

Anyone have a different experience, or should I have known not to buy it.

For reference, the spikes kits with a grip are only a dollar or two more.
CMC (Chip McCormick) stuff is usually good stuff, although I am not a fan of "drop-in" AR triggers in general.
Too bad he didn't QC his parts suppliers of those LPK's.
Gotta do that....your name is on it.

I've used two Spike's kits are they are very good.
Has the "fine-line" bolt release pad which I like over the coarse, cheesy pad like in the PSA's.
Can't remember where I got the last one...might have been AimSurplus.
It was surprisingly cheap and the grip was not the garden-variety A2....it was a much nicer aftermarket grip (Spike's Pro Grip).

Win-win

Last Edited:
I got a CMC LPK from Primary Arms, and had the same issue. I thought it was the lower receiver, so I took the part out of my Spikes, and the part worked fine. I had to file the CMC mag release to work in my lower, then contacted Primary Arms. They sent me a new part, and lo and behold, this one didn't fit either. I am going to stick with known name brand parts kits from now on, as I think this was a rebranded China setup.

I got a CMC LPK from Primary Arms, and had the same issue. I thought it was the lower receiver, so I took the part out of my Spikes, and the part worked fine. I had to file the CMC mag release to work in my lower, then contacted Primary Arms. They sent me a new part, and lo and behold, this one didn't fit either. I am going to stick with known name brand parts kits from now on, as I think this was a rebranded China setup.

DITTO...!!! Same issue...

That's what I wish I would have done. I just didn't because I wanted a specific grip. Sporting systems has the spikes kit, which I'll be picking up later today.

The frustrating part of it all is it ding the hell out of the finish on the receiver where the mag release goes

That's what I wish I would have done. I just didn't because I wanted a specific grip. Sporting systems has the spikes kit, which I'll be picking up later today.

The frustrating part of it all is it ding the hell out of the finish on the receiver where the mag release goes
Get a bottle of Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black".
I put it into the scratch with a toothpick.....you don't smear it all over.

It's chemical that blackens the raw aluminum.
Work at it with two or three passes and by the time you see a slight black color on the toothpick, your scratch will be gone.

Definitely learned my lesson. The spikes kit went together like butter. Not sure if I like the mag release bottom. I know its extended on purpose, but it's borderline too extended for my tastes.

I generally use CMMG with good results. Bought an Anderson for a build I finished about 10 minutes ago.....and the Anderson sucks. Safety selector is milled poorly, the FCG has ZERO polishing on the sear or trigger. I polished them myself as the grit was WAY bad. I'm gonna swap some of it out tomorrow. On the bright side they included an extra take down detent so I have one in case I screw up down the road.

I vs hear a ton about the roll pins from the spikes. It was that, and aero kit, and seekins. But the seekins was too much for my tastes. I'm not sold on NEEDING everything to be ambi. For 48 bucks in pretty content. Everything is smooth.

I dont remember what my other build has in it. I wish I did because it was cheap and everything in it was good quality

+1 on CMMG. I just put together a new rifle, had some parts, so their Builders Kit was perfect, no FCG, grip, or trigger guard, but it's $40, and seems to be good quality. Everything certainly went together better than my first build using a Del-Ton lower and PSA LPK.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top