JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey yall. I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm posting now because I've come across a problem of choice. There are 2 very reasonably prices shotgun that I want. Of course I can only afford one, because life's unfair, right?

The first shotgun I'm looking at is a Remington 870 Super Magnum. I've been DYING to shoot and own something with a 3.5" chamber for a long time. So much raw power. I'm sure plenty of you can sympathize with me. The price on the Remington 870 is only $240, before bargaining! It seems to function well and the finish is still in pretty great condition.

The second shotgun I'm thinking about is a Winchester 1897. There's a gunshop in my area that seems to be a retirement home for unloved Winchester shotguns. Alot of these poor fellas have nearly ZERO finish left on them. I could pickup one of the worst-looking ones for probably $200. If I go this route, I'm thinking about fully refinishing the gun using some boat floor finish on the wood and then doing a rust bluing for all the metal.

And don't bother trying to make me get a Winchester Model 12. I just got rid of one, because I just wanted something else. So what do yall think?

I've got lots of rounds down the pipe on a Model 97 and I think it's a fine shotgun - for it's day. If it were me, I'd go with the 870. It will be less finicky, will be more reliable over time, and parts won't be hard to come by. I love the old Mod 97's, but if I could only pick one - Rem 870 hands down.

Either gun I was hoping I would be able to hunt rabbits and ducks with it too, and therefore I'd be wanting to use more than just target loads. Are you sure a Winchester 1897 won't handle high brass loads? I'd make sure the one I bought was a 2.75" chamber, of course.

What is this gun shop you speak of? I bought my dad a shotgun for his birthday when I was 18...little did I know it was an 870 super magnum...those 3.5" shells are fun to say the least...get they 870, you literally can't go wrong

The gun shop with the Winchester 1897's is called Tuttle's. It's in Enumclaw. The owner is rather unpleasant, and everyone I talk to seems to think so too. Still, its the closest place to buy guns, and the selection of older stuff is pretty decent. The place with the Remington 870 Super Magnum is... a secret. At least until I buy the gun I want.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. It looks like I'm going to pick up that 870. I just did a bunch of reading on forcing cones and 2 5/8" shells and just a whole barrage of other information I don't want to have to worry about with the Winchester 1897.

'97 are great gun, a good one to add to a collection. Also good for Cowboy action shooting.

870s are............ or is what ever you want it to be. Very versatile and utilitarian. If you are going to have one shotgun, this is your baby. There are tons of after market toys to mod your shotgun for your needs.

No matter what size loads you're thinking about, how many do you plan on shooting? If you like to pump a few boxes (or more) through the gun everytime you go for clays, just consider how that adds up. The 870 will take it whatever you put it through - for decades.

I don't know much about the 1897. I love my 870, great shotgun. It's held up to everything I've put through it and is still in great shape. I used to shoot quite a bit of clays and hunt a lot of birds. Work and other factors have cut down on that.

Like it's been said, they can be about anything you want them to be. They are the most common shotgun ever made so parts and accessories are really common.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top