JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't been up in that area for probably 30+ yrs.
LOL I'm sure it's nothing like you remember it. It's changed just in the last 5 years. Logging was going on here and there last year and there's a memorial along the road maybe 2 miles up from where the road turns to gravel on the left hand side of the road for a girl that plunged to her death just a few weeks ago. Make sure you tip your hat and say a little prayer for her as she went over the edge to your right. She was about 15 and going up to a graduation party at night in the dark. There's a shear cliff just to your right at that point and she went all the way to the bottom. You will see several of her car parts and flowers on the left bank along the road and a little note about her. He name was Lacey Hall. She tried to let a vehicle pass and pulled over to the right too far and her wheels went over the edge. A sobering reminder that life can be short. This is her picture. :(

1006208263-06-12-Fatal-crash.jpg

Last Edited:
Well son-of-a-gun, if 2 1/2 of us didn't do so bad at cleaning up that pit today! Thanks, @Mecanik ! The other 1/2 guy was a shooter I met when I first arrived, at 8:45. He was shooting and totally unaware of the temp ban on target shooting (we were on DNR State land). A really nice and good guy, he stopped shooting and started helping to clean up. He had to leave within an hour, but while he was there, we had a great conversation and I really enjoyed meeting him. Hopefully, he'll join NWFA and become a regular here.

Mecanik arrived shortly there after and we were the primary 2 guys to do the work. I stayed a little longer and got more around the entry area.

We were a little disappointed that no one else came, but we understood it's the holiday weekend, hunting, fishing, camping and the memorial in honor of Aaron "Jay" Danielson happening in Vancouver, so that's how it goes with Saturday random cleanups.

There is still a bit of trash in there and my guess is about 5-6 bags worth. The big challenge will be that big fire pit area where there are thousands and thousands of nails! Another few thousands of nails fill the gravel around the fire pit. Even where my truck is parked, (which I didn't know until Mecanik pointed it out).

All in all, not bad for 2 1/2 guys and a half day!

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 1.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 2.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 3.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 4.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 5.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 6.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 7.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 8.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 9.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 10.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 11.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 12.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 13.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 14.jpg

9-5-20 Cleanup Cowlitz Co WA DNR 15.jpg

Well son-of-a-gun, if 2 1/2 of us didn't do so bad at cleaning up that pit today! Thanks, @Mecanik ! The other 1/2 guy was a shooter I met when I first arrived, at 8:45. He was shooting and totally unaware of the temp ban on target shooting (we were on DNR State land). A really nice and good guy, he stopped shooting and started helping to clean up. He had to leave within an hour, but while he was there, we had a great conversation and I really enjoyed meeting him. Hopefully, he'll join NWFA and become a regular here.

Mecanik arrived shortly there after and we were the primary 2 guys to do the work. I stayed a little longer and got more around the entry area.

We were a little disappointed that no one else came, but we understood it's the holiday weekend, hunting, fishing, camping and the memorial in honor of Aaron "Jay" Danielson happening in Vancouver, so that's how it goes with Saturday random cleanups.

There is still a bit of trash in there and my guess is about 5-6 bags worth. The big challenge will be that big fire pit area where there are thousands and thousands of nails! Another few thousands of nails fill the gravel around the fire pit. Even where my truck is parked, (which I didn't know until Mecanik pointed it out).

All in all, not bad for 2 1/2 guys and a half day!

View attachment 745659

View attachment 745660

View attachment 745661

View attachment 745662

View attachment 745663

View attachment 745664

View attachment 745665

View attachment 745666

View attachment 745667

View attachment 745668

View attachment 745669

View attachment 745670

View attachment 745671

View attachment 745672

View attachment 745673
Sorry I missed you guys !! I had some trouble finding the place and didnt get up there til around 1:30 or so. I did find the spot where the abandoned cars are tho... LOL That looks like a good spot for pistol shooting if it were cleaned up some. There were two guys shooting when I got there also so I didnt stick around.

The two vehicles have already been reported to DNR as per a conversation with my son in law who lives at the bottom of the hill. They are scheduling a time when a tow truck can haul them out. I'm was also told they showed up quite recently within the last month or so. They might be part of a stolen vehicle incident.
I'd like to say that much of what we picked up today was not there last Tuesday. So it's a persistent problem that needs to be addressed somehow. I'm wondering if signs would help explaining that targets holders and targets need to be removed at the end of a persons shooting session. (I know signs sometimes become targets to the criminal minded.)

Last Edited:
Sorry I missed you guys !! I had some trouble finding the place and didnt get up there til around 1:30 or so. I did find the spot where the abandoned cars are tho... LOL That looks like a good spot for pistol shooting if it were cleaned up some. There were two guys shooting when I got there also so I didnt stick around.
I think I left at 1 PM. Sorry to miss you!

I ranged it out to be up to 100+ yards from far end to far end. I think it was 60 yrds from my pickup to the main backstop.

Drats ! Had I known THAT, I coulda saved a bunch on gas !!! LOL
Any idea how all those nails got up there?
Much of it was like Mecanik mentioned earlier... furniture nails left over from the bon fires, however, I saw a bunch of construction nailing brackets, so I suspect there was a load of construction debris dumped at one time that included a lot of nails.

At this point, however, it doesn't really matter, what's there is an extreme amount of nails!

Shot a few rounds today off L1500 in Jones Creek Area. Surprised there wasn't as much garbage as last time around. Last time I had half a bed full of crap and garbage bags. This time around a little more than a bag at this little spot. Maybe someone actually cleaned up recently? Maybe less people shooting there? Either way it was a successful day.

Shot a few rounds today off L1500 in Jones Creek Area. Surprised there wasn't as much garbage as last time around. Last time I had half a bed full of crap and garbage bags. This time around a little more than a bag at this little spot. Maybe someone actually cleaned up recently? Maybe less people shooting there? Either way it was a successful day.
Thank you, Belial! I haven't been there for about 3 weeks now. Sometimes the Youth Corps kids clean up around the 1500. They usually leave those white bags next to the road and inmate crews come pick them up.

Glad to see you helping out!
Bill

Always bring trash bags out when we go into the woods to shoot. There were quite a few people out shooting today at the different pits. I wish everyone brought out more than they brought in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top