JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always had an affinity for blades and the like. A bucket list item is to own 2 authentic civil war era cavalry sabers, one being u.s. and the other being confederate. Anyone have recommendations where to begin looking (besides ebay)...

Probably the biggest problem with something like this is making sure you are not buying something made long after the great hate ended. There has got to be a ton of the copies floating around. Not sure how those who "know" the difference can tell and make sure you get a a real specimen. Be interesting to see what anyone who really knows this stuff has to say here.

Probably the biggest problem with something like this is making sure you are not buying something made long after the great hate ended. There has got to be a ton of the copies floating around. Not sure how those who "know" the difference can tell and make sure you get a a real specimen. Be interesting to see what anyone who really knows this stuff has to say here.
this 1,000% Id expect everything that you find that is listed as confederate will be a forgery regardless if the owner knows or not.

Years ago my dad had a friend who was a big civil war buff and bought a bunch of stuff through the years and he decided to sell it and retire early ( this was the late 70's ) and found out that almost all the confederate things he had were forgeries

Comments thus far have mimicked my concern. There are a number of auction houses out there marketing military collectibles. I'd figure this might be a good place to start because there may be legitimate docentation or certs with the items.

Something to consider when thinking of Confederate items is the CSA's use of Federal ( US ) issue items....
A , AMES saber could be either US or CSA depending on whose hand it is in.

Also worth considering is older US issues being in Confederate service...many Mexican American War firearms and edged weapons were in use by the CSA.

If possible buy a well made reproduction / replica saber...just to familiarize yourself with what to look for in a replica or reproduction...then if you can , bring it with you to compare to the "real" one being offered for sale.

Some reproduction and replica sabers are pushing 60 years old and have some age , wear and tear on them...
Also many sabers are put together swords....made of period parts....but made after the war.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR