JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$295
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
City
Vancouver
State
Washington
Zip Code
I've had this lug bayonet for probably nearly 20 years. It has spent most of its life with me, in a safe.

From the limited research I've been able to do, it's a bayonet made from 1850's to 1860's. It is marked with "US". I can't find any other markings.
This bayonet is probably in better condition than any I can find on the internet, anywhere. There's light surface rust in spots, and virtually no pitting. A couple of small dings. The bayonet lug is completely intact and functions as it should.

**** now asking only $195 *****

I'm asking $295 (Was $400). I would possibly consider trading for firearm related items. Possibly a small solar power set up (or parts used in solar power set ups) or possibly .380 auto, 5.7x28, .357 sig ammo.

In Vancouver, WA. Prefer local FTF. Will consider shipping at buyers expense. If local, will consider listed trades.

Thank you.

**** after a little more research (and some input from members), I believe this is an m1873 "trapdoor" bayonet (I hope I got that right), although it looks very close to an m1855. Mine is probably one of the best condition bayonets I've seen on the net.****

I'm asking $295 (now $195) for this bayonet. Pretty sure in this condition, it's a good deal no matter what.

Thank you.

20200917_130309.jpg 20200917_130334.jpg 20200917_130239.jpg 20200917_130208.jpg 20200917_130151.jpg 20200917_130142.jpg 20200917_130127.jpg 20200917_130106.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Is the bayonet blued or in the "White"...?

Without seeing the bayonet in person....it is difficult to tell if the bayonet is for a 1861 / 1864 Rifled Musket or for a 1873 "Trapdoor" Springfield.

As a general rule the bayonets for the 1861 / 64 series of Rifled Muskets were in the "White" , while those for the 1873 "Trapdoor" Series were blued.
Andy

Is the bayonet blued or in the "White"...?

Without seeing the bayonet in person....it is difficult to tell if the bayonet is for a 1861 / 1864 Rifled Musket or for a 1873 "Trapdoor" Springfield.

As a general rule the bayonets for the 1861 / 64 series of Rifled Muskets were in the "White" , while those for the 1873 "Trapdoor" Series were blued.
Andy

Thank you for any info. I'm not sure what "white" means (simply not "blued"?), however my instinct is to call it "blued".
I was under the impression, because of the only mark being "US", that it was earlier. Again, that's only from me comparing pics I found online of bayonets that were already "identified". I've never sought the advice of anyone before now.

Actually, that's a Colt M-1855 MK-I and early MK-II Cavalry musket Bayonet! Dated between 1855 and 1864!
I collect these rifles, and have a couple complete with Bayonets! They had two designs during this period, the earlier "Pike" which this is, and the later brass handled "Saber" Bayonet!

1600398490590.png

In the White...is when the metal is polished and left un-blued.
Many US Arms pre-1873 series were finished this way.
That nice blue or brown we see on the pre-1873 series is patina...not a armory finish.

The US marking , is fairly standard...from just after the Rev. War till the late Indian Wars.

If blued....which it looks like to me....I'd say its for a 1873 "Trapdoor" Springfield.
Andy

Here is a Brass handled Saber Bayonet, it attaches in the same way, and was interchangeable with the earlier types!
They did make a Shovel type Speer point, but they are super duper rare!
1600399038995.png

If it were a Springfield Bayonet, it would have the famed Crossed Cannon along with the U.S. marks!
Not on the 1873 series of bayonets.....sorry to say.
The crossed cannon came later....with 1903 series of bayonets.

With that said....
I am almost 100% sure that the OP has 1873 bayonet...but I will not clutter up his for sale ad with my thoughts.
Andy

I really appreciate all the input. It's a lot to take in. I may need to do a little more research on it.

Thank you Andy54Hawken and Ura-Ki both for the opinions. I'm grateful for any input that will help me figure this out.

I think I'll lock the post for now, until I have a better idea of it's identity.

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top