JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So; my little bi..h son in law said If I bought a Chronograph I would probably shoot a hole in it.
I think he is disparaging my marksmanship! Got me thinking; anybody ever shot a Chrono?:cool:

Yep. The first bullet grazed the top of the sensor housing but I thought I had shot over the target. Got it pretty square on the second shot.

RIP.jpg

only an idiot would shoot a crono. yes, I have shot one:s0112:, a friends in fact. Not the actual device but the metal rods that branch out of it.

funny.....cause I was sooo careful to aim perfectly center - I think the thought of hitting it made me do it. Perhaps not much different from your experience. All it takes is the wrong thought at the right time. time to take it back to the store and ask for a refund.

I've been fortunate so far. I've owned mine for about 10 years and haven't shot it. But the first time I took it out my friend shot one of the rods! Didn't hurt anything, but never, ever have been able to find the missing rod. I look every time I'm in the same area...

Yes. I had a Chrony Alpha Master (the computer part is separate from the sensor unit). I had been shooting handgun, then lever gun, the scoped bolt rifle. That 1-1/2" of scope height was not allowed for and I put a nice 100 grain bullet in to the sensor unit. Fortuantely the computer/input/output unit was not attached and it only cost $35 to get a new sensor unit, complete with sun shield and aluminum rods.

I put a 12 gauge slug through the face of my first chrony. It was pretty spectacular, but I didn't fully appreciate the beauty of the diffusers arcing through the still morning air at the time. Maybe I'll bring it to the BBQ as a conversation piece.

Without going into sob stories here's the deal. If you want your rounds checked with my chrony, I do the shooting. That's only after we prove the gun is sighted in. :s0155:

/sob.

Yes. I had a Chrony Alpha Master (the computer part is separate from the sensor unit). I had been shooting handgun, then lever gun, the scoped bolt rifle. That 1-1/2" of scope height was not allowed for and I put a nice 100 grain bullet in to the sensor unit. Fortuantely the computer/input/output unit was not attached and it only cost $35 to get a new sensor unit, complete with sun shield and aluminum rods.

I did the exact same thing to my beta master this weekend - where did you get the new sensor unit?
Looks like they are $70+s&h from the manufacturer.

Mine's an Oehler, so just the skyscreens (no electric brain thingy) out front of the gun. Grazed a skyskreen once: the entire assembly of two skyscreens, spacer rod and photo-tripods folded up like a ruptured cockroach. All okay though, and I have a visual reminder for greater care each time I use it.

I forgot to mention that I now bring clear plastic wrap (the thin stuff for wrapping food) with me and mount it where the chrony will later sit. I sight in on the target that I will be using, shooting through the plastic wrap. Now I can position the chrony below the holes in the plastic wrap, while feeling a lot more confident and just a little clever.

Has anyone tried the MagnetoSpeed? At $250, it compares well to buying a chrony, shooting it, and buying another, plus it's easier to use.

i too have shot a chrony, but I was sixteen at the time and haven't made the same mistake in 15 years since... :)

/It was my brother in laws
//bullet missed all the circuitry so it still worked... whew!

toolfan asked:
I did the exact same thing to my beta master this weekend - where did you get the new sensor unit?
Looks like they are $70+s&h from the manufacturer.

I got mine from the manufacturer also ... Shooting Chrony. This was about two years ago, however I would think the sensor unit of the Alpha and Beta units would be the same and only the computer/display units would be different. I could be wrong, but that sounds like a lot to me. The F-1 Master was only $75 on sale at midwayusa a couple of years ago. I bought one of those in case I put another bullet in the Alpha sensor unit.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top