JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I Wonder If Sunday School Is Destroying Our Kids - Beliefs of the Heart

Say what you will but we gun owners here are just normal people, some worship some don't but for the most part decent people. My sister sent me this link and it brought back some memories (some best not remembered). Here is my response to her.

It's been many moons since I was in SS and truthfully, it didn't attach to my soul like my parents had hoped it would. They smoked, drank, cussed sometimes and had parties at home, It seemed like so much fun for them so why not me, why did I have to go where I didn't want to be? One Sunday morning I was sitting on the couch with my Dad, Mom came in and said "get ready for church" I told her (and I'll remember this till I die) "I'm staying home with my Daddy and watching football". That statement there (which I believed was so just at the time) caused them a huge fight right then, after they returned home and well into the night. I was so scared of it all that I vowed never to return (unless dragged kicking and screaming) to church. It didn't have the reverse effect, that some may believe, that it made me see the light, so to speak. That doesn't mean that, as I grew up, that I didn't believe in God, I did, I just didn't worship him (the formalities of the faith).

When our children became old enough, we tried to bring them into the church (churches) (my wife was raised Mormon) but I believe they followed my path of not being interested in it at all (they said it was boring). I truly feel that kids nowadays have the mentality that if they cannot see it, touch it or physically feel it, that (whatever the case may be) it is not real. A material world, if you will.

Does that mean that we, as parents, had failed to bring up our kids into Christianity? We may believe that with all our heart but as I have always said (crude analogy, but true) "you can lead them to water, but you cannot make them drink".

The world as we know it has radically changed with technology, culture, political affiliations and hate. So much going on that people have no time to get bored, if you can believe that.

Just relaying some concerns as of late...

Tabu subject Jim, please don't bring up religion. Against forum rules. The good news (lol) is that there are tons of forums out there to discuss and ponder such matters. Just not here.

See, I can be nice. I didn't say one bad word about religion. Really though, if you want to do research, the last people you should ask about Christianity are Christians; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wifUXxsOPMA

"So much going on that people have no time to get bored, if you can believe that." - yes, on that part sir! But more importantly they have no time or desire to rationalize things out, to think for themselves, to learn; to not be told what to believe.

"People have all sorts of entertainments, sports, technologies, games, scripted nonsense, slave work hours, shopping, and fake politics to keep the human mind busy. So you don't do too much thinking. So you won't have the time to see how you are being controlled and manipulated. Here kids, kick this ball around while the adults go into the next room and have an important talk about your future." (paraphrase, Jordan Maxwell).

Really, most people are just too busy trying to survive economically, living in slave debt month to month to look over their shoulder to see who is reaming them from behind. Sadly.

"Tabu subject Jim, please don't bring up religion. Against forum rules"

Really? I guess I should have consulted the Masters of the forum control board members legal team eh...
Maybe they should ban politics here also... Awe chit, then there would be nothing left to discuss on this board...

I suspect this thread will disappear. Either way, the topic of religion, specifically Christianity, cannot be had in an open forum like this one anyway, as they attract more antis (anti-religion/anti-christ) people than believers, who come to completely derail the thread with completely off-topic, frequently venomous, sermons against the stupidity/ignorance/evil of religion.

I'll answer, on topic, though...

I have 5 boys, who we are raising Christian. Seems the right thing to do, since the wife and I are both Christian, and literalist, Bible-believing Christians at that (there's Christian, and then there's actually-follow-the-faith-as-its-written-in-the-bible-Christian [A distinction that's SURE to bring hurled Levitical Law, accusations of judgement and hypocrisy, in these threads, but an important one nonetheless]). Our boys all love church and Sunday school. They get upset when were can't go. Our oldest is 9, our youngest is 1.... so there's still plenty of time for one/some to develop a rebellious nature. Having 5, I think it's perfectly possible one or some will stray. You never know.

My policy is that this is a Christian house. They're too young, and too faithful, to have doubts now. Doubts will come in their own sweet time, and they'll learn to struggle with their faith/spirituality when they're good and ready. I'll address it when it comes... and my attitude will simply be, "Son, I've done everything I can to raise you up in the light of God. I've taught you the Word since before you could speak. I have always prayed for you, I will always pray for you. I have given you the best counsel I can, and I will always offer you my best counsel. But your faith is yours, to have if you have it, or not, if you don't."

You can't force faith... it just doesn't work like that. I think the best, and really probably only thing you can do for them is to be a spiritual anchor. Go out and have your own thoughts and come to your own conclusions about life and God and religion. You know where I stand, seek my counsel if you need iit.

Ben, I whole heartedly agree with you. I think if the parents are abiding with the faith and the children see it then they will have a better chance of following them.
Mine did not and this is where I believe they failed to get us 3 boys to accept the church ways.
Thank you for your honest response.

It really isn't that difficult to understand why it is a tabu topic is it? There are many folks out there clamoring to discuss their faiths on the other forums. Why impose it on people here? Really, I was being kind.

There are a lot of things I would be more than happy to share about the sun/son cult, but I do not. Why? Because this isn't the place and I don't have the desire to educate the deluded any longer. Let bygones be bygones, live and let live, that sort of thing.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

3. No religious discussion and/or material.

Everyone has their own beliefs, whether they be extremely devout or belive in nothing at all. This community welcomes everyone, no matter their religion, race, sex, age, creed, marital status, or disability. Since this topic has very little to do with firearms and a great potential to offend others, it's best that we leave it alone.

It really isn't that difficult to understand why it is a tabu topic is it? There are many folks out there clamoring to discuss their faiths on the other forums. Why impose it on people here? Really, I was being kind.

There are a lot of things I would be more than happy to share about the sun/son cult, but I do not. Why? Because this isn't the place and I don't have the desire to educate the deluded any longer. Let bygones be bygones, live and let live, that sort of thing.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

3. No religious discussion and/or material.

Everyone has their own beliefs, whether they be extremely devout or belive in nothing at all. This community welcomes everyone, no matter their religion, race, sex, age, creed, marital status, or disability. Since this topic has very little to do with firearms and a great potential to offend others, it's best that we leave it alone.

While this thread will get tossed soon, I find it hilarious that someone will get a thread deleted for it's religious content, when people are posting asinine political and conspiratorial garbage that goes on for dozens of pages.

That garbage is fine (lol) as long as it is even loosely related to 2A/gun rights - which most are - that is fine. I am not 'getting a thread tossed'. That will happen as soon as a mod sees someone rambling incoherently about their religious regrets.

I could throw a quote in there if we are comparing notes, would that help?

"The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the sun, in which they put a man called Christ in the place of the sun, and pay him the adoration originally payed to the sun."

― Thomas Paine

Paine figured that out long ago w/o the internet or any help. In fact a small child should be able to figure it out. Why can't a billion people do the same? Very sad. It took me 20 years as a deluded Christian to figure it out myself because for that long I never 'looked back and did the research' - so I guess I won't be on a high horse about it. I just pity those who waste their time and life with it.

Sun/son worship/delusion does not have anything to do directly or indirectly with the topic of guns and is specifically forbidden as a topic.

Thanks again!

Thanks for being the predictable dick that you are, Burt.

"If I don't believe ANYTHING mainstream, and if I only believe things that CANNOT be substantiated, and therefore UNSUBSTANTIATED, nobody will ever have anything on me."

-Burt's subconscious

As long as they are even loosely related to 2A/gun rights - which most are - that is fine. I am not 'getting a thread tossed'. That will happen as soon as a mod sees someone rambling incoherently about their religious regrets.

I could throw a quote in there if we are comparing notes, would that help?

"The Christian religion is a parody on the worship of the sun, in which they put a man called Christ in the place of the sun, and pay him the adoration originally payed to the sun."

― Thomas Paine

Paine figured that out long ago w/o the internet or any help. In fact a small child should be able to figure it out. Why can't a billion people do the same? Very sad. It took me 20 years as a deluded Christian to figure it out myself because for that long I never 'looked back and did the research' - so I guess I won't be on a high horse about it. I just feel sorry for those who waste their time and life with it.

Sun/son worship/delusion does not have anything to do directly or indirectly with guns rights or general liberties and is specifically forbidden as a topic.

Thanks again!

Anti-christian stuff aside, I wasn't saying you were going to get a thread tossed out. On their own, they don't survive very long.

Quick Caveman Jim, add these google search quotes to the original post, so we can skirt the rules like Reynolds Wrap people!

1 Samuel 25:13:

And David said to his men, "Every man strap on his sword!" And every man of them strapped on his sword. David also strapped on his sword. And about four hundred men went up after David, while two hundred remained with the baggage.

Psalm 144:1, David wrote: "Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle..."

Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught in the act of breaking into a house and is struck and killed in the process, the person who killed the thief is not guilty of murder."

Luke 22:35-38 : And finally, Jesus himself: And he said to them, "When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?" They said, "Nothing." He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors.' For what is written about me has its fulfillment." And they said, "Look, Lord, here are two swords." And he said to them, "It is enough."

----

You heard it here first, Jesus supports the right to bear arms :s0114:.

You got me, sort of; sword/gun, hmm .... "He" also supports rape, slavery, murder, prostitution (aggressor must pay rape victim in silver if caught), genocide, looting, kidnapping, torture, and child murder. At least 'he' is an exciting fellow! Evil Bible Home Page

Where is a mod when you need one? Dock that mod a day's pay for napping on the job. (thank you Blazing Saddles)

I actually LIKE a lot of Christian folks, so please don't take my disparaging comments toward the sun as personal.

I will now stop commenting, have at it all you please and have a great day.

You got me, sort of; sword/gun, hmm .... "He" also supports rape, slavery, genocide, looting, kidnapping, torture, and child murder. At least 'he' is an exciting fellow! Evil Bible Home Page

Where is a mod when you need one? Dock that mod a day's pay for napping on the job. (thank you Blazing Saddles)

I actually LIKE a lot of Christian folks, so please don't take my disparaging comments toward the sun as personal.

Burt only pawn...In game of life.

You got me, sort of; sword/gun, hmm .... "He" also supports rape, slavery, murder, prostitution (aggressor must pay rape victim in silver if caught), genocide, looting, kidnapping, torture, and child murder. At least 'he' is an exciting fellow! Evil Bible Home Page

I will now stop commenting, have at it all you please and have a great day.

So you figure since we all know the thread will get closed that all rules are null? It's obviously NOT your problem that we're discussing a verboten subject- otherwise you wouldn't be committing the violation of derailing the thread. So you're obviously just derailing for sake of being an *** alone.

Cool, bro.

I did not see (Look) the rules about this being forbidden. Sorry to have been ignorant to the posting rules.

BUT:
Burt, didn't your mother tell you at one time in your life that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it? Why do some people have be such dicks on a post that is meant to gain positive input, not put downs. I honestly didn't think that this post would rile the anti-Christ followers..

Sad how we are back to the times when we have to meet in person and draw a fish in the sand to find fellow Christians...

Breaking rules about religious discussion doesn't bother me. Now off leash dogs in parks and bike paths and such, THAT ticks me off. In fact it's un-Christian to allow your pooch to jump up on a guy or scare little kids when the rules clearly say to leash your dog! Thought I'd get that in before this thread gets closed.

I am not a believer but I think if you force a child to do something they don't wish to do causes them to rebel against it and may ingrain a poor view of the subject well into their adult life.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top