JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read that after two years of storage then dispose of and renew.
Just make sure your containers are in a dark area or are dark colored.

I purchased 5 lbs of Super Shock 'n Swim ( 52% Calcium Hypochlorite) at Walmart for around $5.00 and it only takes 2 tablespoons to make a gallon of bleach, and it doesn't have any other additives or scents added.
One box will last you a very long time, even if you make a gallon for your wife when she runs out doing the laundry.

Actually I am thinking why are you concerned? Water is a stable compound. If other elements are not present, there is nothing for it to interact with. The problem might be an unclean container to store the water to begin with. Another thought is chlorine ions in the chlorine compund you are adding to the water, plus the free hydrogen ions in the water (H-O-H) form hydrochloric acid ... a very weak solution to be sure, but still an acidic solution.

I like what Joe13 said, 'Treat it when you drink it.' Make sure your storage containers are as clean as you can get them, make sure you use the purest potable water available, keep the containers sealed and treat before you use it. After all, how long does water sit in a lake before it gets to your tap?

Water goes bad in time, no matter how it's stored; it's the container that's the problem. I agree with the above statement that two years is the limit before it has to be changed out, but that's IF it's in a real water-storage container, not old juice bottles.

It doesn't hurt to add extra bleach; just leave it open to the air and in daylight for an hour or so before drinking it.

I leave our above ground pool 3/4 full in the winter (took a few to find someone who knew enough to tell me to do that so the pool will keep its shape and not crack, different thread...).

The result it that I have about 4,000 gallons of good water that can be filtered and treated it will then be perfectly drinkable. 6k gallons in the summer and it collects rain.

So I got summer entertainment and more water then I could store in sealed containers...

And it gets emptied, scrubbed and cleaned every spring.

I have yet to find a better water storage system in an urban area.

I leave our above ground pool 3/4 full in the winter (took a few to find someone who knew enough to tell me to do that so the pool will keep its shape and not crack, different thread...).

The result it that I have about 4,000 gallons of good water that can be filtered and treated it will then be perfectly drinkable. 6k gallons in the summer and it collects rain.

So I got summer entertainment and more water then I could store in sealed containers...

And it gets emptied, scrubbed and cleaned every spring.

I have yet to find a better water storage system in an urban area.
Hidden in plain sight. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top