JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings!

My wife has both an Oregon resident CHL and a Utah non-resident concealed weapon permit. At the time she received the Utah permit Washington recognized Utah CHL licenses, allowing her to carry in Washington. I understand that Washington no longer recognizes Utah CHL's due to an issue with people under the age of 21 being able to obtain a permit.

What states (if any) issue non-resident permits that are recognized by the state of Washington? If none, are there any options out there that would allow her to legally carry in Washington? I have been unable to find this information on the net and am hoping for some guidance. She travels 4 to 5 times a year in Washington to visits friends and would really like to be able to carry when travelling.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Is this non-recognition of Utah's CPL recent? If so, I missed that.

OR residents can still obtain a WA non-resident CHL. Just locate a willing Sheriff or City Police Chief.

edit:
Utah offers two types of CPL. Provisional is a <21 license. I believe WA recognizes the regular one your wife has.

Last Edited:
Greetings!

My wife has both an Oregon resident CHL and a Utah non-resident concealed weapon permit. At the time she received the Utah permit Washington recognized Utah CHL licenses, allowing her to carry in Washington. I understand that Washington no longer recognizes Utah CHL's due to an issue with people under the age of 21 being able to obtain a permit.

What states (if any) issue non-resident permits that are recognized by the state of Washington? If none, are there any options out there that would allow her to legally carry in Washington? I have been unable to find this information on the net and am hoping for some guidance. She travels 4 to 5 times a year in Washington to visits friends and would really like to be able to carry when travelling.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Washington still recognizes Utah if the person is 21 or older. This limitation or requirement also applies to all other state permits that Washington recognizes. Those states are Idaho (enhanced only), Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota (class 1 only), Ohio, South Dakota (enhanced only) and Utah. But if she has any concerns, why doesn't she get a non resident WA permit? WA is shall issue for non residents, there are no training or live fire requirements; just an application, a low fee and a set of prints. Such a permit would also allow her to travel through federal school zones while in WA, which her UT permit does not do.

Thanks for the clarification on the over 21 "enhanced" Utah permit. The original decision that I saw didn't make a distinction about age, and the subsequent references I could find didn't define or clarify what the enhanced definition was.

Everyone's help is appreciated.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top